Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Michael Crichton - "State of Fear".
    (Enjoyable reading on the DART)

Maybe I'm spoiled having recently finished A Song of Ice and Fire, but everything I've read since then has seemed, well, paint-by-numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

A Drama in Muslin, by George Moore. Just finished The Importance of Being Earnest again too. Wilde is wonderful!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Decided on some more not very strenuous reading and am making my way thorugh the Crystal Singer trilogy by Anne McCaffrey again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

the third policeman - flann o brien (oh i love u lost)
    and the pelican history of the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Just finishing up 'Where I'm Calling From' by Raymond Carver, which is definitely the best short story collection I've ever read.

I just got 'The Silent Cry' by Kenzaburo Oe, and 'A Fistful of Gitanes'- a Serge Gainsbourg biography. Fun, fun, fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Still ploughing through Dumas' 'The Count of Monte Cristo', also read 'On The Road' by Jack Kerouac other day. Some brilliant bits in it, some depressing bits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Endgame by Beckett

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The Van by Roddy Doyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Ye olde One Hundred Years of Solitude (GG Marquez) this week, have to read Endgame (Beckett) for uni too, looking forward to abit of the auld negative dialectic.

Read The Third Policeman (Flann O'Brien) there a while back, loved it...funny, entertaining and an easy read.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

In the past few days I've been on a bit of a reading frenzy:

The Man in the High Castle - Philip K.Dick .....enjoyed this, slightly sinister undertones

The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho ...enjoyed this..makes you want to break out of a rut

The 5 people you meet in Heaven - Mitch Albom .... was dissapointed by this after hearing some many people on this forum talk about it. Readable but I was expecting something more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Fallen Dragon
    Peter F Hamilton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Vanity Fair - W.M. Thackeray

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Just finished, in order: The Infinite Book by John D Barrow, The Code Book by Simon Singh and State of Fear by Michael Crichton.

Anybody else an inveterate Crichton reader?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Morph&#233 wrote: »
    Fallen Dragon
    Peter F Hamilton

What did you think of it Morpheus?I read it a summer or two ago and loved it.Have to read some more Hamilton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭muesli_offire

Ye olde One Hundred Years of Solitude (GG Marquez)
    Gabo de man! If there is one film adaptation I would love to see its of this book. Might be a tad long though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

I finished reading 'transparent things' by Nabokov which i really didn't enjoy so have moved to 'Ada or Ardor' which so far is wonderful

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Lord of the Rings. Again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Just starting "Velocity " by Dean Koontz

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Into the last 100 pages of Lolita by Nabokov.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Nearing the end of 'Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World' by Murakami. Took longer to get into than it usually does with Murakami, but it's moving along nicely now. Quite different from his other stuff, except 'Sputnik Sweetheart' a bit, I suppose.

Also started 'The Possibility of an Island' by Michel Houllebecq, which, true to form, has featured several sex scenes in the first 50 pages.

• Advertisement

boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jay Tomio

In the Eye of Heaven by David Keck and The Tourmaline by Paul Park, the sequel to one of the better books of last year A Princess of Roumania. Next week plan to move on to Naomi Novik's Throne of Jade and Black Powder War, the sequels to His Majesty's Dragon (aka Temeraire in the UK)

I'm also reading Brian K. Vaughn's collected Runaways (comic)

I'm trying to find time to read Geoff Ryman's latest, Kings Last Song. I also just reviewed Tobias Buckell's Crystal Rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I just found King Solomon's Mines. Read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Freud's Civilisation and Its Discontents, Nietzche's Twilight Of The Idols and Woody Allen's Prose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I just finished A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

The Commodore by Patrick O Brian , book 17 of 20.... nearly there !

and

The Witches of Chiswick Robert Rankin, which is likely to be my last ever Rankin red as he seems to have run out of new ideas and one liners.

Finished The Valkyries by Paulo Coelho a few days ago, now reading The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭berengar

Kharn wrote:
    Ya, the revised version.

I'd have started it properly but I started it pretty much straight after finishing Jingo and it was just too hard going after all that Pratchett! Tore a good chunk out of it last night (insomnia is great) and so far, it rox!

All the best,

Dav
    curlydav.gif
    homepage.tinet.ie/~davitt

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 04-05-99).]

Are these Star Wars books ?
    are they any good ? , I really like the films .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

The I.R.A by Tim Pat Coogan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Velocity by Dean Koontz , actually quite a pleasant surprise , not as bad as his last few .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement