Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Jay Tomio wrote:
    Terry Brook's new Armageddon's Children (which comes out in August and merges his Shannara setting to his Word/Void series). Brooks is awful - but damn it, I'm intrigued.

Sounds like desperation to me. I liked the first seven or so Shanara books but he pushed them too far for too long. I read and enjoyed the newer ones (and the first couple of the Word series) but they're really just pap. This new one sounds giga awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jay Tomio

Sounds like desperation to me. .
    This new one sounds giga awful

I wish I could disagree with either comment. Chalk this up as morbid curiousity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

John2 wrote:
    but they're really just pap.

Kinda agree with you but the last Word and Void novel redeemed the series for me. Twas up with his best.

After avoiding the recent Shanarra cash-ins like the plague - I too could be tempted by this new one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

reading Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, the cover sounded a bit DaVinci Code knockoff but it was recommended by somebody who's usually right. Only started it so dunno yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I've been reading "Untold Stories" by Alan Bennett - just finished the first part, where he talks about his mothers depression and the family history - really good read, very open and honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fr Clint Power

just finished the cider house rules by john irving. Enjoyable but not as good as his a prayer for owen meaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Huxley - Point Counter Point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I started Notes from the Underground by Dostoyevsky, it's very non-specific and demands attention but interesting so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

That They May Face The Rising Sun - John McGahern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

Jean giono - To the Slaughterhouse == Bed
    Paul Williams - Crimelords (updated version) == Toilet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Just finished "We need to talk about Kevin" by Lionel Shriver. Wonderful writing ... couldn't put it down ... Deeply thought provoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

"Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry" By Mildred D. Taylor. I'm rereading it, as I have to look for qoutes for my JC english exam. Damn, I've missed reading good quality literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

May start to read that again...need quotes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The Cripple of Inishmaan (again). Typically McDonagh, tragic and hilarious in one breath, so much duplicity and behind the imagology a sense of the real rural community. Or summat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Worldmakers - SF adventures in Terraforming

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Got a lend of Lian Hearn's 'Tales of the Otori' trilogy... started 'Across the Nightingale Floor' this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Still reading The Silent Cry by Kenzaburo Oe which I started about a month ago but haven't touched since I finished college. :rolleyes: Excellent book so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Just bought King's The Stand and am seriously hooked.

*lets work pile up some more..*

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Bones by Max Allan Collins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

The Odyssey - Homer.
    Thought I'd check out some of the classics. Antigone next maybe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

The Cure for Death by Lightening- Gail Anderson Dargatz.

Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Just finished Balzac's "Cousin Bette". The 1998 film based on it (with Jessica Lange) is a complete travesty.

(It was interesting to read it while Big Brother was on in the background - evidence of the decline of Western culture. The contrast was astonishing. The century before last could produce great writers like Balzac, Thackeray and Dickens who were both good and popular. Likewise the operas of Verdi, the music of Liszt and Chopin, artists like Delacroix, Courbet and Daumier. We've gone from that to a culture which produces degraded spectacles like BB and where stupid spoiled whore Paris Hilton is a role model.)

I've also recently read the excellent "Life at the Bottom" by Theodore Dalrymple and I'm currently reading "Intellectual Morons - how ideology makes smart people fall for stupid ideas" by Daniel J. Flynn which I'm afraid have only reinforced my suspicions that we are all screwed :)

Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut. I enjoy his writing style so far. So it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Network+ 2005. Gawd, what a boring book, but I have to read it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm re-reading the Just William books - have not laughed out loud at a book in years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Just finished Ian Rankin's 'The Flood' which I got in desperation in Barcelona with no other English book available. I think it was his first publication and reads like it ... not up to much at all. Have started 'The Human Stain' by Philip Roth.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Reading "Kushiel's Dart" by Jacqueline Carey, very well written fantasy indeed. This is to be followed by "God Bless You, Mr Rosewater" by Kurt Vonnegut

Labyrinth - Kate Mosse.

I still don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Terry Pratchett Carpe Jugulum. It's all right, some funny lines but not great. I really don't get this author at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Hearing and Writing music - Ron Gorow.... fantastic book!! Really helping me out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement