Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

currently reading similliarion by tolkien. about 4th time now. still excellent.

but prior to this was
    hegomeny of survival - Noam chomskiy. eye opener, can be a bit dificult to read but very interesting.

and tawny man series books 1-3 by robin hoob. i luved them, especially as i borrowed the 3 books together so no waiting :) . im a big fan of his work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Originally posted by Justice
    his work.

Her work ;)

thought the ending was a bit disappointing and too many loose ends in my book. Still v good tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Alex Garland - The Coma.

Good enough i guess. Bit short though. Nothing he has done lately has come near The Beach though

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

oops. ta squirrel.

i thought the ending was fine, twas a relief really, i read to many "inbetween" books that an end of series book was much more fufilling that it should really be :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Currently reading A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. If they taught science like this in school we'd have all wanted to become scientists

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Things my Girlfriend and I Argue About
    Mil Millington.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Garth Nix - Abhorsen:
    Very nice fantasy book. Not the best I've read but certainly very readable.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Idiot:
    I must admit, I'm finding this heavy going. It won't be a book I'll keep. I think I'll release it through bookcrossing.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'm reading Dostoevsky too - the Brothers Karamazov - this particular translation as I do not know any Russian, alas.

It's really well translated - very lively and hilarious in parts. I've read it before in a different translation (don't remember which) but this one seems far more direct.

The translation I've got is very good, you wouldn't even know it was written in Russian the English flows so well. But for some reason the story just doesn't click with me and there's not a single character I even remotely care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Xerxes

Das Boot.Great book and the tension created throughout is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

The Girl at the Lion D'Or by Sebastian Faulks and also rereading The Sandman by Neil Gaiman.

Lion D'Or is lovely slow-paced and quite simple but powerful and The Sandman is of course just brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Micro1

the bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad
    And
    Shantaram by Gregory Roberts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Empire of the Sun - J.G. Ballard

A good read, I think the best one of his I've read is "HighRise", which is a book I'd easily slip into my top ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Stephan Grundy - Attila's Treasure.

Uplifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by Xerxes
    Das Boot.Great book and the tension created throughout is fantastic.

You might also enjoy "the Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat, if you have not already read it. Similiar story but from the point of view of the submarine hunters.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Originally posted by pork99
    You might also enjoy "the Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat, if you have not already read it. Similiar story but from the point of view of the submarine hunters.

The Cruel Sea kicks ass. I'll never forget the reference to our own country. Three Corvettes is another fine work

I am currently reading Scimitar SL2 by Patrick Robinson

There are seven books in the series at the moment, all related to submarines. Each one a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood.

A good read, if held together by some fairly average sci-fi. I've heard her other books are much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

The Dumas Club - Arturo Perez-Reverte

Was made into the film the Ninth Gate (johnny depp)

Good film
    Good book (so far)

I'm reading John Gray's Straw Dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

• Advertisement

The Dilbert Future by Scott Adams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
    +
    Dipping in and out of The Complete History of Everything by Bill Bryson

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

Snap. Got the complete trilogy! in Cardiff last week for 6 quid sterling. I have not read it in a long time, however this must be my 30th time to read it and it is still as good as ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lilo moo

just started a clockwork orange by anthony burgess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

lullaby by chuck "fight club" palahnuick

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Middlesex ~Jeffrey Eugenides
    Euclid'S Window - MLODINOW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Almost finished Wolves Of The Calla - Stephen King, and just bought Song Of Susannah, so I'll be straight into that. Love The Dark Tower books.

Dr. Loon wrote:
    Almost finished Wolves Of The Calla - Stephen King, and just bought Song Of Susannah, so I'll be straight into that. Love The Dark Tower books.

They're both really good but a tad self indulgent on King's part. I won't spoil anything for you though ;). Looking forward to the last one, should be out sometime soon I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lilo moo

just finished a clockwork orange yesterday morning, animal farm farm yesterday evening and like water for chocolate this afternoon. all very good. and now i need some new books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

lilo moo wrote:
    just finished a clockwork orange yesterday morning, animal farm farm yesterday evening and like water for chocolate this afternoon. all very good. and now i need some new books.
    (re)read Catch 22 and join in the book club discussion starting September 1st!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=178605

:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement