Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

Daddio wrote:
    The Odyssey - Homer.
    Thought I'd check out some of the classics. Antigone next maybe!
    stop trying to look so intelligent and cultured
    He's reading it for school people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Blush_01 wrote:
    Labyrinth - Kate Mosse.

Is it any good? Or is it sub-Da vinci code trash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I didn't think it was great, but it's enjoyable! I think that it's actually quite different to the DaVinci Code. There are some similarities in the subject matter but it's mostly set in the middle ages and it doesn't read like a thriller - it's more concerned with characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I like it because I'm interested in that kind of era in general. That said, I'm only about 100 pages in, and I do want to get back to the medieval bit, and avoid the more modern ones.

I love the fact that it's not all sensationalised bs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Vulpiner

Other rooms, other voices

Truman Capote

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I've been travelling with work so have read:

the boy in the striped pyjamas - I loved it. Very simple story, very well told, very thought provoking.

Hotel Babylon - a review says "like mainlining popbitch" - sums it up perfectly. I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing and

freakonomics - not bad, but for me gave all the interesting facts in the first chapter, and then expanded them chapter by chapter.

I also dipped into "Love all the people" - letters and performances of Bill Hicks. I was dissapointed - I love listening to Bill Hicks, but I didn't think it works well as text

tbh wrote:
    Hotel Babylon -

I've just finished Air Babylon, a tad exaggerated but definately worth a laugh and a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Intend to start Ulysses tonight as it's Blooms Day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 the little one

lala rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Lee Child. Trip Wire. And physics books for the Leaving Cert Exam on Monday!

• Advertisement

I finished it a few hours ago. I really enjoyed it. Very light reading, but I found it really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Blush_01 wrote:
    Labyrinth - Kate Mosse.

I still don't know why.

I know the feeling! I don't understand why this book has received all the praise that it has.

Currently starting "Atlantis" by David Gibbins. You can guess from the title what it's about, but so far, it's going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I finished Labrynth, a well written, well researched thriller which, though screaming "Da Vinci code knock off" on the back, is actually a pleasantly original tale.

Starting to read, um, lots of things and nothing.

Starting Andrew Martin's "The Blackpool Highflier". Second in a series of detective stories featuring Victorian railway detective, Jim Stringer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Starting Bukowski's "Post Office" right now. I'm quite excited about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Flutterfly

Complete works of George Orwell. Just finished the Clergymans Daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

On holidays i read:

"The shadow of the wind" by Carlos luis zafon

&

"Fleshmarket close" by ian Rankin

"The shadow of the wind" is a classic about a boy growing up in post civil war Barcelona and a book i'll defo read again and "Fleshmarket close" is a Bill style detective story about scotlands race problems

Both are worth a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

A collection of short stories by Joseph Conrad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Just started The Star Fraction by Ken MacLeod - a bit of a slow beginning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Just finishing 'Collapse: Why Societies Choose To Fail Or Survive" by Jared Diamond, very good book of non-fiction (popular science), not as good or interesting as his 'Guns, Germs and Steel' though. Stuck halfway through 'The Lying Stones of Marrakech' by the wonderful Stephen J. Gould (again, popular science, everyone should read his collections).

What I am most excited by is the book I have most recently started, 'Titus Groan' by Mervyn Peake, only 150 pages in but LOVING it. I was 1st recommended this almost 15 years ago in my mid-teens by my then guitar teacher, who I told I was a huge Lord of the Rings fan. Can't believe, 100s of fantasy, science fiction and more recently classics later I am finally diving in. Wonderful stuff.

• Advertisement

Kolodny wrote:
    Just started The Star Fraction by Ken MacLeod - a bit of a slow beginning though.

Stick with it - its one of his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

just about to start the scarlet pimpernel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Football Against the Enemy by Simon Kuper

and

Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jr.

The first one's style is a bit easier to read than the second. Both are good books though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

The Forever Hero and damn I'm hooked!

Neal Stephenson - Zodiac

dudara wrote:
    Neal Stephenson - Zodiac
    art_wolf wrote:
    The Forever Hero and damn I'm hooked!

Let me know how those two turn out - big fans of both authors.

Its a shame modesit spends so much time on the Recluse books, his (her?) Sci-Fi is much better imo.

Currently thinking about re-reading the Parafaith War and The Ethos Effect (its semi-sequel) back to back.

Both brilliant books.

Finally reading Girlfriend in a Coma.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing, for the second time. Think i'll keep reading it until the next one is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Going to start Camus's La Peste in the morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I finished "A Million Little Pieces" yesterday. Not a bad read, but I spent the whole time thinking "I wonder how much of this is real and how much he made up" which ruined the flow of the book. That said, I'd rather know before I started that a lot of it was fantasy, than read the book believing everything and find out later. Still, it passed a couple of hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement