Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Salt by Mark Kurlansky, a history of that pure, white and deadly stuff that we ingest off table tops. Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Deer wrote:
    I have now been reading for the past two days The Sparrow by Maria Dora Russell. I'm finding her writing very unique. Can't put my finger on it. The subject is also quite unique - a jesuit mission to outer space. Good book and worth a read.

I've been meaning to read that for a while now. Due to the weight of Neal Stephenson's book, I'm also co-reading Anthony Capella's "The Food of Love"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Started "The Lincoln Lawyer" by Michael Connelly this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Yesterday read PS I scored the Bridesmaids - the Ross O'Carroll Kelly one which was a giggle and read Windows of the World which has characters based in the restaurant on the morning of September 11th.

Each alternative chapter is based on either the character or the author himself trying to grapple with his thoughts on it. I found it easier to read the fictitional characters rather than the authors thoughts. I just felt he was a bit excessive and a bit obsessed by the event which was obviously a tragic and disastrous day but it wasn't a life changing moment for me personally. It would be interesting to discuss the impact of September 11th on books written after the event on some other occassion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

I'm stuck in "Operation Shylock" by Philip Roth. I'm about half way thorugh and thinking of dropping it- anybody have a strong argument for continuing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Rising '44, can't remember the author. It's a fairly big book on the Warsaw Rising during WW2. It's interesting but not that well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

At Swim Two Birds - funny, frustrating, off the wall...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

The Shining by Steven King! Super stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

The Lyre of Orpheus by Robertson Davies, the final volume in his Cornish Trilogy. Well worth a look.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ambasite wrote:
    At Swim Two Birds - funny, frustrating, off the wall...
    had a quick flick at it a while back, maybe it gets better ?

Just finished The Dosadi Experiment by Frank Herbert
    I'll probably read it again in a few moths when I forgotten the plot.

• Advertisement

The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connolly, bought the hardback at Galloway and Porter in Cambridgefor £1 :D Halfway through so far and Great Stuff, A1 Sharon :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Pirates and Emperors - Noam Chomsky

Just about 10 pages into it at the moment - its about terrorism from a neutral point of view (apparently).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

After loving Trinity I have just started Exodus, also by Leon Uris..

Historical Fiction, based around the founding of Israel, post WW2. Its topical with all the messing down there atm, and gives a great background into the different sides to the conflict [As Trinity does with Ireland]

100 pages in, I'm loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

An End to Suffering. Pankaj Mishra. Excellent jack of all trades take on Northern India, Nepal, Buddhism and the buddha...all good

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Seeing by Jose Saramago. It's concerned with what happens when belief in the political and democratic process breaks down

The First Casualty by Ben Elton.

Can't stand Elton as a stand-up comic, loved his writing in Blackadder and the Young Ones (less sure of his recent TV comedy!). This is a really good book and good to see that he can write serious fiction as well as good comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Just finished Freakonomics - entertaining stuff, struggling to finish number9dream by David Mitchell just not engaging me, currently on The Crow Road by Iain Banks, great so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Just finished Last Round by Mark Nicol.

0304367230.02._PE20_OU02_SCMZZZZZZZ_V55608936_.jpg

Started Emperor: The Field of Swords by Conn Iggulden

0007136935.02._PE34_OU02_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Can't stand Elton as a stand-up comic, loved his writing
    I've read pretty much all of his fiction books, and I've really liked them all..

Pick up any of them, they are not Joyce but good 'easy' reading :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

Sorry I'm a big lover of the classics so this week I'm re reading breakfast at Tiffany's, lush! I've got a Jim Morrison biog lined up for later in the week just for some variety! :D
    Anyone read The five People You Meet in Heaven while i'm here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

The Devilsby Dostoyevsky.

It's actually quite funny at parts so far and the whole liberal revolutionary movement that is at the centre of the story is quite interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Serpentine wrote:
    Sorry I'm a big lover of the classics so this week I'm re reading breakfast at Tiffany's, lush! I've got a Jim Morrison biog lined up for later in the week just for some variety! :D
    Anyone read The five People You Meet in Heaven while i'm here?

I read it, but to be honest, it wasn't my cup of tea! My sister recommended it and loved it, but I found it a bit depressing.

I'm reading Robert Jordan's The Great Hunt at the moment. I really liked the first in the series, so I'm hoping this will be as good!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'm spending three weeks backpacking around Poland starting tomorrow. I'm bringing Rising '44 (about the Warsaw rising, started it about 2 pages of this thread ago but didn't make much progress) and Joyce's Ulysses. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Was away for a bit and read the books below

-Breaking Vegas by Ben Mezrich
    -The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - by John Boyne
    -The Damage Done - by Warren Fellows

All very easy reads and pretty enjoyable on the whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Forest Mage - Robin Hobb.

the Ethos Effect - LE Modesitt jr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Halfway through Olympos by Dan Simmons. Not as good perhaps as Ilium but still enjoyable, and very funny in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I was reading the Idiot a few months ago. I left it on a plaine. So now I've secured another copy from a friend, I plan to finish it. It's getting much better to, I prefer it to C & P so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Just finished Freakonomics - entertaining stuff, .

thought it was bloody awful myself, I really didn't need to read a chapter on the economics of drug dealing to discover that not all drug dealers were immensely wealthy, only those at the top of the food chain.

Currently on The tragedy of William and Margaret Joyce, aka Lord Haw Haw

and A hundred years of Chelsea FC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement