Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

State of the Union by Douglas Kennedy - just finished - good book.

The Boy in Striped Pyjama's by ... whoops forgot, read that last night - charming little story written in the style of a children's book but is definately not for children.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Portrait of the artist as a young man - James Joyce

I'm a glutin for punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

This week, I am mostly reading Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. Very good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Rereading Gullivers Travels, not as good as I remember it actually, but I'm not yet at my favourite bit with the pointless scientists!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

Reading Shadowland by Peter Straub, I read it years ago but am still finding it very enjoyable.

It seems to be a bit hit and miss with his books though, some of them are superb while others are just a waste of paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just finished "The Final Confession of Mabel Stark" by Robert Hough. I really enjoyed that - fictionalised account of the life of a female tiger-trainer in the American circuses of the 20's.

Just started "The Traveller" by John Twelve Hawk, after it had spent months sitting on my shelves waiting to be read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

The definitive guide to betting on horses. A book by the racing post. Half way through and I have to say it's brilliant.

Have just finished She's come undone by Wally Lamb which is excellent - I really love that author and his ability to get into the heads of his characters and what drives them to do the things they do. I've started Lost Souls by Michael Collins last night and haven't formulated an opinion on it yet. I think it's that just finished reading an excellent book syndrome and the next book you read is a bit of a slight letdown.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Started "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens. Only read 10 pages so far - it seems like a straight forward story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Started Tietam Brown yesterday and really liking it I would be suprised if it have not finished it tonight
    Have As used on the famous Nelson Mandella waiting in the wings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

BossArky wrote:
    A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
    Same here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Two Lives by Vikram Seth

Two Lives by Vikram Seth

I'm half way through that. What do you think of it?

I've also just read The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks, one of Douglas Kennedy's The Pursuit of Happiness, The Keepers of the Truth by Michael Collins and on my TBR pile right now is Salt by Mark Kurlansky, The Baltics by Misha Glenny ( I fear this book - started the first chapter last night) and also at some point will get round to A short introduction to globalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I'm half way through that. What do you think of it?
    Im only about 70 or 80 pages in, and to be honest Im starting to struggle a bit. Its not what I expected it to be and its not really holding my attention. I'll power on for a while, as the whole WW2 stuff is just kicking off. Its also the type of book I normally eat up, as I love stories about 'real' people, in different situations..

I've never read anything by him before, 'a suitable boy' is on my list of books I gave up in the middle of, and must finish one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Ulysses at the moment. Not as heavy as I thought it would be. Granted there are chunks that are impenetrable but so far (about 600 pages) I'm really digging it.

Read a book on the Futurist art movement recently. Interesting to say the least.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ulysees is quite good John, new name then.

I am reading,

Sabriel - Garth Nix.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I liked the Sabriel series of books. Very good reads.

I recently read Margaret Atwood's "The Penelopaeid" - easy to read, quick, but good. Atwood gives the traditional Homeric tale a different spin in her usual style.

I also read "Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman. This wasn't bad, but it was slightly unsatisfying. I might try another of his books, as this was the first of his that I've read.

I've just started "The Awful End of Prince William the Silent" by Lisa Jardine. It's about the first assassination of a head of state with a handgun and follows the legacy of the act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Just finished reading Number 10 by Sue Townsend and Echoes by Maeve Binchy. Started Spohies Choice, dunno who wrote it but i cant put it down!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dudara wrote:
    I liked the Sabriel series of books. Very good reads.
    It's a series!?

Excellent!
    I harte singular books, feel annoyed that there is no more.

I thought the books after Sabriel weren't great, still good but Sabriel is definitely the strongest.

Have any of you read Nix's Mr. Monday series? Peaks and troughs but overall enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

To Kill A Mockingbird. Much better this time around, having not to read it in the classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

insomnia by stephen king.....then on to the dark tower series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Barcode

I'm reading A million little pieces -- James Frey
    Brillent! It made me cry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I liked it too but couldn't help wondering how much was real and how much was him telling it the way he wishes it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Barcode wrote:
    I'm reading A million little pieces -- James Frey
    Brillent! It made me cry
    Isn't that the guy/book that made baby Oprah cry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

that's the one. Here's the story.

"baby oprah cry" :D

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S.Thompson.

I need a week or two like this book....clear out the system ;)

It's all fun and games until you see the bats...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky

• Advertisement

Fear and Loathing is exactly the kind of book to read after Great Expectations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement