Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Stephen King's The Waste Lands in the Dark Tower series. Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The Tristan Betrayal - Robert Ludlum

Set over two time periods, many short sections set in 1991 with main protagonist but majority of book set in WWII - main protagonist is an American spy in Paris sent to Russia before either American or Soviet entrance to the war. Lots of intrigue, ingenious plotting etc.

Excellent book, got the hardback in Galloway and Porter for £1 - w00t and all that :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Just finished MacBeth, really enjoyed it (had a school version whereby each right hand page had the play, whilst the left hand site had explanations, exercises, etc). Before that it was Phantom of the Opera which was ok but for some reason it dragged as I was too busy to read it through in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

Saul Bellow-Humboldt's Gift, really enjoying it in every sense

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

LoLth wrote:
    Just started "system of the world" - final part of the baroque trilogy by Neal Stephenson. Fantastic series so far (hard to get into but well worth the effort! a bit like Umberto Eco in that regard I suppose). Fingers crossed for a good ending :)

Ditto here, also on the bedside table are David McWilliams' "The Pope's Children" and Stephen Pinker's "Blank Slate". The Pope's Children is just one long sweeping sensationalist generalisation that would be right at home in Humanities but amusing enough (both in a laugh with and at sense) to finish. Blank Slate is worth a read for anyone interested in the potential consequences of the death of dualism. Some of the arguments (especially on morality) are a bit weak though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've just started Memoirs of a Geisha. It's not bad but too early to really form an opinion yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭CheersDarlin'

I just finished 'The Bell Jar' by Sylvia Plath, thought it was wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Finishing Paradise City by Lorenzo Carcaterra and
    Starting The Skin Gods by Richard Montanari

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Into the Wild by John Krakauer [and I suppose I will read into thin air agian after that, since Im on the Krakauer buzz!]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Just finished on Holier:
    Complicity - Banks, good stuff, kept me reading anyway.
    The Untouchables - Paul Williams, almost a big pat on the back for the C.A.B.
    Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts, great story whether true or not, page turner from the start, a great book for travels - makes you want to keep going.

Next: jPod - Coupland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

The Life of Pi - Yann Martel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I started Umberto Eco's "The Island of the Day Before" about 3 months ago, then went on holidays for a month and havent started it again so I'll probably try get back into it over the next few days.

After that it's Sophies Choice, on recommendation from a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

Finished Hard Times by Dickens it was terrible, if it was published today it would be eaten with sour milk by the critics community.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

it would be eaten with sour milk by the critics community.
    ..or turtle soup and venison with a gold spoon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭elqu

LoLth wrote:
    Just started "system of the world" - final part of the baroque trilogy by Neal Stephenson. Fantastic series so far (hard to get into but well worth the effort! a bit like Umberto Eco in that regard I suppose). Fingers crossed for a good ending :)

Am reading that too! it's well worth the effort but does require a fair bit of commitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

"Wolfskin" by Juliet Marillier. Can't put it down! It's amazing.

Tape Delay by Charles Neal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

To kill a mockingbird by harper lee.

I know you got soul - Jeremy Clarkson

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What We Believe but Cannot Prove: Today's Leading Thinkers on Science in the Age of Certainty (Paperback)
    by John Brockman

can't wait to see the version done by his brother, Kent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Just finished The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman, only took me 2 days, it was very enjoyable and quite moving.

What We Believe but Cannot Prove: Today's Leading Thinkers on Science in the Age of Certainty (Paperback)
    by John Brockman

can't wait to see the version done by his brother, Kent.

lolz. Is the book any good? I keep meaning to buy it.

I had a Jorge Luis Borges day today. My mind feels well massaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

There's a fantastic bookshop in Letterkenny, I always make a beeline for it whenever I'm there - On Friday I got Peter Kay's autobiography - it was a bit disappointing to be honest, I'd heard good things about it, and I'm a fan, but I thought it was fairly weak stuff.

Much better was Imperium by Robert Harris. It's based on the life of Cicero, really well written - informative and entertaining at the same time. If you liked Pompeii, you'll love this. I'm about a third of the way in, and I can't wait to get into bed tonight to get stuck into it - the simple pleasures!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Currently I'm reading Ice a collection of stories of polar exploration, edited by Clint Willis. Really enjoying it and as its a collection of stories it is giving me a long list of others to read.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

John wrote:
    lolz. Is the book any good? I keep meaning to buy it.
    Hit and miss. Way too much stuff focused on religion - most people have fixed ideas on this subject very few will find any of those ideas thought provoking. I'm dipping in and out and some gems. The contributions range form a paragraph ot three pages. A lot of the quotes are on the internet too. I picked it up second hand, haven't finished yet but I think more of a library book than something to cherish forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

I've just finished "Tropic of Cancer" by Henry Miller.

I'm sorry now that I read it so quickly, but at the time it was absorbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Currently reading INLA Deadly Divisions atm. A book I really should have read years ago. It's excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I am halfway through "The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K. Dick. It's the first book of his that I've read and so far so good.

The writing style is quite basic, but the idea behind it is interesting: it's an alternative history based on Germany and Japan winning WWII.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The writing style is quite basic, but the idea behind it is interesting: it's an alternative history based on Germany and Japan winning WWII.

Sounds a bit like Fatherland by Robert Harris!

I'm reading Unholy Trinity by Paul Adam, a priest in Italy is murdered and for some reason the Vatican have taken some of his papers before the police arrive at the murder scene. Modern day story with flashbacks to the end of World War II.

Also reading The curious incident of the Dog in the Nightdress, a Ross O'Carroll-Kelly book. I have to say I'm enjoying it a lot more than I should...call it a guilty pleasure :D

• Advertisement

I am halfway through "The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K. Dick. It's the first book of his that I've read and so far so good.

must keep an eye out.
    r3nu4l wrote:
    Fatherland
    that's another good read.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement