Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Joe Boyd White Bicycles: Making Music in the 1960s

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just finished Lirael, on to The Abhorsen, when I can get my hands on it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

The autobio of Malcom X.

It is quite good.

M.R. James Ghost Stories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Colum Mc Cann This side of brightness

- lovely writingimagination and great/unusual backdrop - the tunnels i newyork from 1916 to now/ great empathy with the characters

Ye probably have all read it but if not please do. Can't believe I am only discovering McCann now - will be working my way through his books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

John Irving "Until I Find you"
    I realy like Irving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

The Devil's feather by, eh, can't recall.

in a word, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

One flew over the cuckoo's nest by Ken Kesey. It seems quite good so far.

Crucifix wrote:
    One flew over the cuckoo's nest by Ken Kesey. It seems quite good so far.

I really like that book. I saw the movie first and thought that the movie was fantabulous. Then I read the book and found that the book was fantabulouslier.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

East of Eden - John Steinback.

This man has such a way with words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Plato - The Republic
    Worldwar: In the Balance - Harry Turtledove
    And if I can remember where I left At Swim-Two Birds - Myles naGopaleen, I'll be mostly reading that too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

James Joyce Dubliners

John wrote:
    James Joyce Dubliners

How is it? Its on my "to read" pile (or under it actually :o )

I've read it before, it's good but I didn't give it enough attention or thought. I'll give you an updated opinion soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, it seems fairly good so far, though I'm only a chapter and a half in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

A Million Little Peices by James Frey

Its a brilliant book, a great story, real edge of your seat stuff..

No interest in the fact he lied about his criminal record. Im about 45% of the way through the book and it has no effect at all at the mo.

Also, getting on my high horse here, let him without sin cast the first stone and all that! What biography style book would stand up to the e3xcellent smoking gun team looking into it for a couple of months..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

meh. i dunno. I thought the book was a great read, but I wondered why he was making himself out to be tougher than he really was (would have preferred a more honest account) and found myself wondering which bits were true, or which were totally made-up. If you are going to write a work of fiction, at least call it what it is!

having said that, I read the whole thing in about two days - a real page turner!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

marcus aurelious - meditations

only 40 or so pages in atm, but it's a very interesting read. he seems like a damned fine person, gona have to read some more by/about him after this

John wrote:
    I've read it before, it's good but I didn't give it enough attention or thought. I'll give you an updated opinion soon.

After giving it more time and attention, the second reading of Dubliners was highly enjoyable. Especially considering I have recently read Ulyssees, Dubliners is like Anne and Barry in comparison!

This week: Daniel Defoe A Journal of the Plague Year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

high-rise by j.g. ballard

"Mr Nice" - Howard Marks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

BossArky wrote:
    "Mr Nice" - Howard Marks

his 'book of dope stories' is excellent, if you haven't read that.... although I did skip all the cocaine stories, everything else was classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

I've just finished reading Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys -- one of those books I'd always meant to read, but never got around to before. It was a really great book though, with a suitably eerie gothic ending...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Slaughterhouse 5 - Vonnegut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

The Dark - John McGahern

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Cryptinomicon - Neal Stephenson and

The Lighthouse - PD James.

Both excellent though I found the former hard to get into at the start, it's going great now. PD James is up to her usual high standard of crime novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Looks to be very interesting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Small Gods - Terry Prattchetttt.

• Advertisement

As of an hour or two ago I am reading nothing - wohoo! Just finished Mr Nice, will probably start "Like a Virgin" - the autobio of Richard Branson.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement