Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A point in time when not reading a book...I can't even rememebr such a time. I'm reading three atm...
    (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    I'm about halfway through this book and I am really enjoying it so far.
    Its set in a post apocalyptic America although you are never really told what happened to cause it, the subtext of the book imply its a nuclear winter. The plot focuses on a father and son trying to make it south all the while trying to hide from cannibals and just trying to survive in terrible conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Crucifix wrote:
    Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Looks to be very interesting.

This is the 'travelers' pinnacle .. loved every second of it, so much so I finished it in less than a week ... whilst fitting in a trek at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Shivvv

Just finished The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins last night. I really enjoyed it. I'd recommend it to everyone, but I'm a bit biased towards his point of view.

I have A Spy in the House of Love - Anais Nin and Everyman - Philip Roth to start next...

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I is reading Notes From a Turkish Whorehouse by some Irish guy at the moment. Damn fine collection of short stories. Really enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The Golden Bough by Sir James Frazer. Only about 50 pages in but it's very interesting so far. Also reading a book of all William Blake's poetry, beautiful stuff. Amazingly, the ones I'm currently reading are poems he wrote when he was a boy! I remember trying to write poetry when I was 14 and it was a far cry from his. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Phenobarbidoll

A Moveable Feast - Hemmingway. Re-reading this one yet again.
    Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony - Colfer
    Labyrinth - Kate Mosse

Brain Mechanisms and Intelligence by Karl Lashley.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

- The Fundamentals of Management Accounting :mad:
    - Carpe Jugullum - Terry Pratchett ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Got bored with Neil Gaimons "American Gods", so started Robert Harris' "Imperium".
    Interesting - and a good history lesson to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 CharLit

Current: "Kafka on the shore" by haruki murakami - only a short way in, but really enjoying it so far!

Recent:
    "My sister's keeper" by Jody Picoult - bought in a hurry before catching a train, and man what a pile of drivel! Real american made-for-tv-movie-family-drama-slush... not recommended!

"Shalimar the clown" by Salman Rushdie - loved it, though it occasionally drifted off into unnecessary preaching rather than sticking with the story. And even though the critics seem to think magical realism is sooooooooo passe. I must be getting old, I'm not clued in on the trends anymore...

"Anansi Boys" by neil Gaiman - fun!

Brain Mechanisms and Intelligence Karl Lashley

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit. Read number 4564456.

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit. Read number 4564456.

Ah, a novice I see!

I'm on my sixth set of LotR due to overusing them. :(

After my first copy of LOTR died I invested in a decent, leatherbound and durable copy. Beautiful edition.

I've seen that around, it looks lovely and I could get it for 30-40.Not a um, leather fan... though.
    Hardback will have to do.
    See the Anniversary edition of the His Dark Materials Trilogy? Lovely.

I got mine for about 50 I think. What about a human skin bound copy? I'm on the look out for some anatomy books bound in human skin.

Haven't seen the His Dark Materials anniversary edition. *Googles*

EDIT: Couldn't find a picture.

Yeah it costs that but I think I can get 33% off books.
    >_>
    <_<

That would be pretty cool, skinbound eh, and I have little compassion for humans, order two sets.
    It's a cool version, bout 55e for teh three, nice art inside if I recall correctly.

gg Philip Pullman <3<3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rhyan

This week i am reading Distant Babylon by Patrick Ryan
    http://distantbabylon.tripod.com

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

The Possibility of an Island by Michel Houllebecq.

Cheerful stuff :D

The Pleasure of Finding Things Out Richard Feynman

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Reinventing the Bazaar by John McMillan. Not Literature in the pure sense but a very good read nonetheless. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

back to jose luis borges and roland barthes - good stuff!

adonis wrote:
    jose luis borges - good stuff!

Understatement of the year.

Various Electromagnetic theory and Embedded system design books, whopee.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Maus by Art Spiegelman

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Bible Stories retold by David Kossoff. Very enjoyable book. It's the Old Testament rewritten by a Jewish man. He also rewrote the New Testament as The Book of Witnesses but I'm not as fond of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

The Grapes of Wrath by Steinback. Good so far, but it hasn't really gripped me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement