Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

I'm currently reading 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins, and I would highly recommend it. Very enjoyable and interesting read.

But I'm nearly finished that now and I think I'm going to have to read LOTR again, although the book is starting to get fairly worn now so I may have to invest in a new "durable" copy, as per the conversation on these pages a few weeks ago.

I've also got the Bob Dylan book 'Chronicles' that I really want to start soon, it's sitting on my shelf calling to me to read it...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Maus by Art Spiegelman

That is a fantastic piece of work. It hits the point home a lot better than most "serious" books about the Holocaust that I've read.
    da_deadman wrote:
    But I'm nearly finished that now and I think I'm going to have to read LOTR again, although the book is starting to get fairly worn now so I may have to invest in a new "durable" copy, as per the conversation on these pages a few weeks ago.

As well as a durable copy I recommend the BBC radio adaptation and the History of Middle Earth books. A LOTR hit without damaging the spine of your precious.

This week I'm reading:
    James Joyce Finnegans Wake:
    I'm only about fifty pages in but I must say I'm enjoying it a lot more than Ulysses. Granted I've no ****ing clue what the plot is, who the characters are or what's going on but the language is beautiful. I'm reading it out loud as recommended by some Wake heads that I know and I've got a Joyce encyclopedia beside me for reference. Hard work but definitely worth it.

Luigi Ficacci Francis Bacon:
    Just a Taschen book that I picked up cheap. I read the Dadaism book last week. I like these books because they're a very readable introduction to the artwork. I never did art in school and over the last couple of years I've become far more interested in fine art and want to know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Honour among thieves by Jeffery Archer..

Better than I expected to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

The Pragmatic Programmer for refresh purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick couple of weeks ago. Wanted to read the book the movie is based on.

Finished Cell by Stephen King last week. Ok read, would make good popcorn movie.

Just started Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Picking up The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins here and there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Read "The Devils Feather" by Minette Walters, first of hers I read, first thriller in while, came hightly recommended, didn't think much of it.

re-re-re-re-reading LoTR by JRRT. Not many books you can abreviate in full confidence everybody will know what you mean!

Might to have to get a new copy though soon, pages are starting to come loose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have had to get a few copies myself.

Now, I have just realised I am half way through a book and I haven't even read the name!
    From reading it it sounds like Feet of Clay - Terry P
    I'll have to check though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

About to start reading The Odyssey by Homer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TGE

Finishing 'Sodom and Gomorrah' by Marcel Proust

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I was right!
    See above.

Now to get some books as presents for christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

da_deadman wrote:
    I'm currently reading 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins, and I would highly recommend it. Very enjoyable and interesting read.

QUOTE]
    I read a review for The God Delusion & I must say it looked quite good. Want to give us a brief review after reading it?
    I will keep an eye out for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

The Secret History by Donna Tart. Not as good as The Little Friend, as no character she creates could ever match Harriet or Harriet's grandmother in that particular book.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Reading Villa Incognito by my favourite writer - Tom Robbins. Very disappointing so far. Hate that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

From Instinct to Identity: The Development of Personality. - Louis Breger

interesting stuff, but the version I have is from 1972...doesn't quite come out and say it directly but hints that homosexuality is a result of young boys being treated liike young girls and vice versa.... I think I'll just file that away in the 'there was no decent science at the time' category but still.. funny. would love to get my hands on a more recent version and see what, if any, revisions there were,

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

cue wrote:
    Reading Villa Incognito by my favourite writer - Tom Robbins. Very disappointing so far. Hate that.
    He's one of my favourite writers too! Funnily enough I quite enjoyed that book though I much prefer Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭CorsetRibbons

We Need To Talk About Kevin - Just finished it actually. Incredible. Severe twist in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Just started 'If I Die In A Combat Zone' by Tim O'Brien, about Vietnam.. anyone else read it?

Hogfather - TP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I finally finished 'A tale of Two Cities', thank goodness it was worth it and I enjoyed it.

I'm reading 'The Medici' by Paul Strathern, great stuff and the best thing is I'm going interrailing next week which will take me to Florence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 CharLit

just read "Emergency Sex" by Kenneth Cain, Heidi Postlewait and Andrew Thomson. Misleading title, it's an autobiographical account of the time the three authors spent working in various war zones for the UN from the early 90s till about 2000. I found it fascinating, deeply depressing and exhilarating in turn. Makes me want to give up on humanity and go and live on a mountainside by myself somewhere, but simultaneously to go and work in a war-torn country...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. He writes great graphic novels and this is great too.

Totally gripped. Been a nice escape from the family this Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

"Holder of Lightning" - the first in the Cloudmages series. I really like it so far!

xoxo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Just finished "Hegemony or Survival" by Noam Chomsky, needs to be taken with some salt, and maybe some Chinese five spice, but terrifying nonetheless, in a dark, hopeless, 1984 kind of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

theCzar wrote:
    Just finished "Hegemony or Survival" by Noam Chomsky, needs to be taken with some salt, and maybe some Chinese five spice, but terrifying nonetheless, in a dark, hopeless, 1984 kind of way.

I must order a book or two of his.

Have you read "NO LOGO" by Naomi klein? or "Fences and Windows".
    www.nologo.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭CorsetRibbons

This week, I am mostly reading Talk With Serial Killers by Christopher Berry-Dee. It's one of the most gruesome books I've read and I've read a lot of True Crime. I was very shocked to find within the pages, a contact address for one of the offenders. This particular guy killed an estimated 53 women (his own count), some of which he sliced from groin to neck to aid faster rotting of the corpse. Not only that but he frequently (for weeks and months after: so please note the extreme levels of decomposition) went to revisit the bodies of thses women and talk to them, sometimes masturbate over them or have sex with them. I don't think I shall be writing to him any time soon. He is only serving 2 consecutive life sentences. That C#@t should fry on the electric chair.

Also, just got a book called Cathy's Book and it's a diary type book that my friend brought back from the states. Within is a clear plastic envelope full of drawings and bits of note paper and other things which really personalise the book as someone's actual diary. Very cool. I'm very excited to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

11th Commandment by Jeff Archer..

I know he is a twat in real life, but Im really enjoying his books [in a John Grisham kinda way] so Im working my way through them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

have just started Chainfire by Terry Goodkind, I really enjoy his Sword of Truth books

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

[strike]Tom Clancy
    A Jack Ryan Novel[/strike] yeah that's what it says on the cover :rolleyes:
    Red Storm Rising
    Larry Bond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Well after just finishing Robert Graves' autobiography, it would be folly to not follow it through with Sassoon and Hardy. However, having been warned of Sassoon's terribly monotonous autobiographical series, I have resolved myself to enjoying Sassoon's poetry, and something unread by Hardy called Jude the Obscure which is... interesting... I suppose.

• Advertisement

Priestess of the White - Trudi Canavan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement