Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

I finished Ireland Awakening, one of Edward Rutherford's epics, just before Charlie's War. It was much more interesting than his previous Irish novel- Dublin, which I could not finish. It just died around the time of the Viking settlement.:( I do have one complaint about Awakening though and that is the last chapter which dealt with the Parnell Crisis, through the 1916 Rising and on to the War of Independence and the Civil War in all of 25 pages or so. One of Rutherford's 18th century gentlemen got more space than that arranging a marriage for his son. The Famine, admittedly a major event in Irish history, covered about a hundred pages. It's as if Mr Rutherford ran into a publishing deadline or something.

Still a worthwhile read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

dusf wrote:
    Finished Tuesday's War yesterday and highly recommend it. I didn't know there was a sequel so thanks for the info. Parts of the former I didn't get so perhaps we could discuss it when you're finished...

What didn't you get? Put me wise now so I can look out for them?:D

Fiddimore seems to like alluding to things that haven't been invented yet. Like the freelance medical outfit in Charlie's War is Medecins sans Frontieres only he doesn't call them that. He did admit in an interview to mistakenly having Charlie reading Jennings books (remember them?) years before they were actually written. A bit like Julian Rathbone really. Have you read Kings of Albion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

The Fourth Hand by John Irving, the first of his I've tried. On page 2, so not in a position to comment yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

D.O. Hebb The Organization of Behavior

A book on the classic neuroscience theory of "neurons that fire together, wire together" (among other things) that I picked up a few months ago. Great to read a book that's nearly 60 years old and then looking at the research that took 30 years to back it up. Well, great if you're into that sort of thing anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

reading wilmot robertson - the disposessed majority

basic theme of the book seems to be that the majority in america (white europeans ... he actually goes through a list of european countries before he decides which are white enough to be part of the majority) are losing power to the minority races (he also has a nice little list of all the minority races, just how negroid or mongoloid they may be) . far from being equal, he believes that the white race is far superior intellectualy, culturally and historically to all others (we Irish, he's not too sure about.. he grudgingly puts some of us in the majority).

only a short bit in, it's not exactly gripping reading.. but I really want to see where he's going with this so I'm going to struggle through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Mick86 wrote:
    What didn't you get? Put me wise now so I can look out for them?:D

They're all pretty much towards the end, also tell me if you find the women incredibly slutty in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Finished "The 4th Hand" by John Irvine. Enjoyed it quite a lot, and will look for more of his works. It was quite light to read but had some depth regardless. Sometimes very funny.

Now reading John Grisham's "The Broker". It has a good premise, we'll see if its worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Started 'The Blind Assassin' by Margaret Atwood, it's ok so far.

BTW The Brorker is the best of Grisham's to date (i have a all of them!).

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Would You Please Be Quiet, Please? Raymond Carver

Great short stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Finishing Snow Falling on Cedars by....Gutterson? Was recommended by a friend a while back....I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Neil Gaiman 'fragile things'

As always with books by Mr Gaiman, i like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

The Book Of The New Sun
    -Gene Wolfe.
    250 pages into it and I can say quite surely that it's probably the most entertaining book I've ever read.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Harrington on Hold'Em - Dan Harrington

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thud - Terry Pratchett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Thud - Terry Pratchett
    My mate's reading that at the moment, says it's brilliant.

I've just finished The Truth - Terry Pratchett
    Absolutely wicked, loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Started 'The Blind Assassin' by Margaret Atwood, it's ok so far.
    I didn't really realise I liked The Blind Assassin until I'd finished it, and now I miss it. (Sorry if that sounds a bit mental!)

Reading Elephant Adventure by Willard Price, but I'm only on p. 13 so apart from it being fantastically detailed I can't really comment on it yet. Also reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. Likewise, not very far into it, but I love Hardy's writing style and Far From the Maddening Crowd is one of my favourite books of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TylerDD

ive heard mixed reviews about Far From the Maddening Crowd -is it worth the read is it? i havent had much luck lately so want to pick up something that ill want to read again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

A novelisation of the computer game Resident Evil 2. It's great; by which I mean it's bad, but I'm loving it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Monstrous Regiment - Terry Pratchett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 LouiseIV

TylerDD wrote:
    ive heard mixed reviews about Far From the Maddening Crowd -is it worth the read is it? i havent had much luck lately so want to pick up something that ill want to read again!

Far From the Madding Crowd is a classic. I read it a few years ago and I would still rate it as one of my top five favourite books ever. It is very dark and depressing though, so don't expect a great uplifting experience when reading it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Oooh, I've been meaning to pick that up for ages, although I won't have any time for reading until after the exams. What's it like?

Very good!

Well, if you are pedantic. I like the writing style anyway. I'm just a bit into it yet.

I've been meaning to work on my pedantry!

To Spell Czechs then!
    I'm sure it is our bible, or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

this week, diary-chuck pallinuck, life of pi-yann martel, and reread dorian gray-oscar wilde...open to suggestions for new books:)

George R.R. Martin books!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Interpretation of murder...bit of a slog I have to say. But I can't not finish a book once I've started :)

s&mbarbie wrote:
    this week, diary-chuck pallinuck, life of pi-yann martel, and reread dorian gray-oscar wilde...open to suggestions for new books:)

Didn't like the ending of Diary myself, what did you make of it? Oh and anything by Tom Robbins is good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

Didn't like the ending of Diary myself, what did you make of it? Oh and anything by Tom Robbins is good.

Have to admit the ending was disappointing, I preferred survivor..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement