Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

reading The Outsider by Colin Wilson, have listened to 1st chapter of The World Is Flat by Thomas Friedman downloaded from audible.com although I have the paperback as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Kazuo Ishiguro The Remains of the Day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

The Book Of The New Sun
    -Gene Wolfe.
    Finished book one and two - starting book three now. Holy moly absolutely staggering stuff, can't put it down (my studies are suffering because of it). Very coarse and shocking in some places, but so entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Kate O'Brien - The Land Of Spices

The best book about being a Mother Superior struggling with vocation and feeling out of place in a foreign country I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Finished John Grisham's "The Broker", pretty good, better than a lot of his recent his books, in that it actually has an ending rather than just petering out half way.

Started "Passage to India" by Forster. Good stuff so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Reading "The Historian" by Elisabeth Kostova .. Great great book ..
    im not finished it yet so no spoilers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History by P.J. Heather

Saw it in a bookshop the day after I saw 300, and picked it up..

Its really interesting, but its really like a college textbook rather than a relaxed read. But its always a subject I have wondered about so Im getting thru it pretty fast..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

The Last King of Scotland by Giles Foden.

Only €5 in HMV btw..

JRR Tolkien The Return of the Shadow. Volume 6 in The History of Middle Earth series, finally Christopher Tolkien gets around to LOTR. Really interesting book, some of the early versions were shockingly different (and fairly crap).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Salman Rushdie - The Moor's Last Sigh

Complete with Stephen quote and "homage" to episode 17 of Ulysses.

Good stuff so far, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭robo

Marion Husband - Say You Love Me
    It is a very thought provoking,compelling read and the controversial subject matter is handled very sensitively and well.

James Joyce A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

William Shakespeare - Romeo & Juliet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Harlan Coban 'The Promise' and Jodi Picoult 'Nineteen Minutes' (sooo excited about her new book just got it today )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

Just finished the "His Dark Materials" trilogy, and about to start "Don Quixote"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That is a fantastic trilogy. :)

Agreed. I think it's time I should read it again.

Currently re-reading parts of The Emerging Mind by Vilayanur Ramachandran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

dusf wrote:
    Finished Tuesday's War yesterday and highly recommend it. I didn't know there was a sequel so thanks for the info. Parts of the former I didn't get so perhaps we could discuss it when you're finished.

Just finished Tuesday's War a few days ago. I found it less strange than Charlie's War, possibly because I read Charlie's first.:D

I thought Fiddimore captured the WW2 zeitgeist well.

So what didn't you get?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

140px-The-amazing-maurice-and-his-educated-rodents-1.jpg

Perfume by Patrick Sueskind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Creative Industries by Richard Caves.

An economic analysis/discussion of the creative industries. Interesting and reads well. He's got a nice flow of words.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Just finishing Platform - Michele Houellebecq. I like it a lot better than I thought I would. Not sure what to go for next though... maybe something like The Scarlet Pimpernel or something.

Ok, finished Platform, really liked it. Also just finished Prep - Curtis Sittenfeld and Heaney's translation of Beowulf (again). Not at all obvious that I'm procrastinating about writing my essay.

Beckett Remembering: Remembering Beckett by James and Elizabeth Knowlson. A collection of interviews with Beckett and interviews of people who knew him, not just famous people but people from his everyday life throughout the years. Fascinating so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

John wrote:
    James Joyce A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Picked it up for E3.05 in Easons, couldn't believe it.:)

ATM: East of Eden - John Steinbeck.

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Picked it up for E3.05 in Easons, couldn't believe it.:)

It's almost an insulting price for it, isn't it? (not that I'm really complaining :))

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Klept0

TDT: Songs of Susannah - Stephen King
    once finished TDT series I'll finally get to 1984 =o

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift

Not half bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Just finished Catcher in the Rye. I both did and didn't like it. Now reading American Pastoral because I lost my copy of The Land of Spices somewhere and have to get another one. :(

Then it's Generation X - I can't wait! I love Douglas Coupland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Blush_01 wrote:
    Now reading American Pastoral

I just couldn't get into that book when we did it in college in 2nd year.

Currently reading The Great Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye is next in Line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Picked up The Children or Hurin yesterday. Haven't read a review of it so don't know what to expect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement