Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Nick Cave And the Ass Saw the Angel

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow. Peter Høeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

The innocent man - John Grisham..

Its good, alot of legal jargon..but quite astonishing all the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

After seeing Battlefield Earth recently, out of morbid fascination I just had to read the book as see if it's as bad as the film.

After seeing Battlefield Earth recently, out of morbid fascination I just had to read the book as see if it's as bad as the film.

You masochist!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh bring the pain! :)

Anyway, Gunslinger - Stephen King.
    Nearly finished it already, weird.

Just about to start The Children of Húrin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

God, get on with it, and sent it to me.
    :)

The drawing of the Three - Stephen King

God, get on with it, and sent it to me.
    :)

The drawing of the Three - Stephen King

Don't be cheeky or I'll ruin the end of the Dark Tower series for you :p

Never heard of it...
    >_>
    <_<
    *runs*
    I think Luckat is giving me the book, yay! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Freakshow: Ain't That Peculiar, a graphic novel by Robert Curley, Stephen Mooney and Stephen Thompson. Good, but kind of hard to follow at times. Oh yeah, and Maxed Out, a book about the credit industry; very scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

The Stand - Stephen King. The extended version.... Over 1000 pages of joy to go...

Stephen King is much better than I expected.

Not all of the time though. Some of his stuff is dreadful but when he's good, he's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

The Raw Shark Texts. So-so.

Andy Wildon Faust: Stretch Out Time 1970-1975

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hey, battlefield earth was a fine novel.. it could have done with ending about 500 pages sooner than it did.. but all in all it was kind of, pretty readable.

atm reading from dawn to decadence - jacques barzun

already late returning it to the library, so I'm going to have to take a day or two and get through this as quick as I can.

Finished the Children of Hurin, I've read all the material before, but I still enjoyed it. Now, to buy a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

The Tunnels Of Cu Chi
    - Tom Mangold & John Penycate

Joseph Conrad The End of the Tether

Two chapters in and yet again I wonder why I bother with Conrad...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Goebels

Rant by Chuck Palahnuik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

John wrote:
    Joseph Conrad The End of the Tether

Two chapters in and yet again I wonder why I bother with Conrad...

I've been meaning to have a look at his stuff over the summer, what's your opinion of his work?

I think he's rubbish but admittedly I'm in a tiny minority.

Now I'm reading a biography of William Blake entitled Blake by Peter Ackroyd. Very nice read.

I'm also reading a collection of short stories called The Shadow at the Bottom of the World by Thomas Ligotti, a little known but brilliant horror writer. His material is very much in the same vein as HP Lovecraft, not over the top gross out horror but very metaphysical and terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sara33

This week....

Wild About Harry, Colin Bateman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Fast Food Nation - Eric Schlosser. I've meant to read this for ages but really bothered. It's interesting, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

Half way though this book and I have to say its a pretty good read....so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

The Father Brown Stories - G.K. Chesterton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

The Human Mind by Robert Winston very interesting, just finished The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova -- very good but maybe too much packaging ... dragged out a bit maybe ??

anyway wanted a change , have read a lot of novels wanted a non fiction book
    in the science area to read.. speaking of which anyone recommend a good pop science book in the human evolution area ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

'Olivia Joules and the overactive imagination' by Helen Fielding (the one who wrote Brigid Jones Diary)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

jackdaw wrote:
    The Human Mind by Robert Winston very interesting, just finished The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova -- very good but maybe too much packaging ... dragged out a bit maybe ??

anyway wanted a change , have read a lot of novels wanted a non fiction book
    in the science area to read.. speaking of which anyone recommend a good pop science book in the human evolution area ?

A brief history of everything by Bill Bryson is easy and informative to read (from a person who reads mostly fiction!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement