Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh, you win! :D

Unless I can claim to have written it?
    Oh yeah, then how many midgets appear in the final battle? And how many of them throw petrol bombs at the orb of Kharshlax?
    3, and they all do. I am assuming all characters are midgets. (:
    Even Jeremiah is ahead of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Yes those midgets are fearsome ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson

Not as good as Cryptonomicon, but better than Snow Crash.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson

An account of Bill Bryson's childhood growing up in Iowa in the 1950s. I'm already a Bryson fan and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, very funny in parts and with Bryson's gentle humour throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

100 years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Re-reading HP & the Order of the Phoenix frantically - want to have it finished by Thurs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Cake Fiend wrote:
    The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson

Not as good as Cryptonomicon, but better than Snow Crash.

That's on a shelf somewhere here in the "To read" pile. Snow Crash has a great opening but isn't that strong later into the book (imho).

That said, it's worth reading if only for the opening few pages. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

"Imperium" by Robert Harris.

I have recently read the Emperor series (based on the life of Juilius Caesar) by Conn Iggulden and really enjoyed them. Imperium is on the life of Marcus Cicero, and there is some overlaps between both storys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

"The State of Africa: A History of fifty years of independence" by Martin Meredith. Fun stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just finished reading Watership Down. Great read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 anthonyk

On holidays, so my reading levels have gone up despite the fact I do English in college!

Anyway last 4 books I've read in the last 3 weeks:

Portrait of the artist as a young man - James Joyce
    Butcher Boy - Patrick McCabe
    Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe
    In Cold Blood - Truman Capote

I might start reading Persian Fire by Tom Holland now or maybe just make a trip to the library and take something cool out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You also think the Buther Boy was absolute tripe? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

zaph wrote:
    The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson

An account of Bill Bryson's childhood growing up in Iowa in the 1950s. I'm already a Bryson fan and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, very funny in parts and with Bryson's gentle humour throughout.

Reaading that too! it's so brilliant, it's his best yet. Also reading Harry Potter and the half-blood prince as i'm getting the new book Saturday and i forgot where the last one left off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Scarabae

"The Harsh Cry of the Heron" by Lian Hearn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

You also think the Buther Boy was absolute tripe? :)

Heheh, I see what you did there!

I'm reading The Years of Bloom: James Joyce in Trieste, 1904–1920 by John McCourt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I've just finished Eternal by Craig Russell.
    Anyone else read booksd by him? They centre around Jan Fabel... German murder mysteries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Just about to start into 'Hand Me My Travellin' Shoes: In Search of Blind Willie McTell' by Michael Gray.

Just got it and am really looking forward to reading it!!

The new Harry Potter. Just had to refresh my memory on the last book with Wikipedia, I'm really going to have to read the whole lot again soon.

I reread the 6th harry potter yesterday and I will read the 7th today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Reynolds.irl

I'm still trying to get through Hard Times by Dickens, I want to finish it off soon as I want to move onto something a little more lighter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

just started 'the contortionists handbook' - Craig clevenger.

see how it pans out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

The Blind Watchmaker - Richard Dawkins
    and
    The End of Faith - Sam Harris

interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

anthonyk wrote:
    Portrait of the artist as a young man - James Joyce
    Butcher Boy - Patrick McCabe
    Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe
    In Cold Blood - Truman Capote

Read all those apart from Things Fall Apart. In Cold Blood is a fantastic book.

Just finished Short history of tractors in Ukrainian, an amusing little jaunt, now reading Hellfire by Mia Gallagher which seems interesting after the first few pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

Henry Miller and James Laughlin Selected Letters edited by George Wickes.

I wouldn't normally be a fan of correspondence books but for Miller I'll make an exception. James Laughlin incidentally was head of New Directions publishing in the US and published most of Miller's work there. An engaging read, they're relationship extended beyond what you would think of as a typical author/publisher one.

Plucking Feathers from a Bald Frog by The Hafler Trio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Mysterious Skin - Scott Heim

and just finished Pnin - Nabokov, my new literary hero:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Confessions of an English Opium Eater and Other Writings by Thomas De Quincey.
    Nearly finished actually.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'Endymion' by Dan Simmons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The Art of War by Sun-Tzu - yes, yes I'll show myself out now don't worry :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

This week its Pleasures & Regrets by Proust. First thing I've read by him. Its alright but has anyone read In Search of Lost Time/Rembrance of Things Past?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement