Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

My war gone by, i miss it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

the secret history is very good..
    i have passed it on to a number of friends who have all loved it..

this week i am reading "the dante club" by matthew pearl -- good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Stephen King - The Dark Tower VII
    One chapter in and Father Callahan dead!?! Fook me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

the secret history is indeed excellent.

just finishing david mitchell's cloud atlas ....very very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Ok cool I'll read it next. If I ever get finished Anna Karenina that is. Never-ending!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Kalikat

I really enjoyed The Secret History. Loved Tartt's style of writing, and the book made me want to run out and take some classes in ancient Greek - a feat indeed.

Just finished: Sabriel by Garth Nix. A very enjoyable kids/young adult fantasy that caught my eye on the library bookshelf. It's a really interesting mixture of early 1900's technology and magical fantasy. Good stuff.

Currently (re)reading: Jane Eyre. One of my favourite books. 'Nuff said.

On the shelf: The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, and Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. Yep, I'm on a literary fantasy kick! I'm dying to read some China Mieville, too, but I just have too damn much to read at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I've read Sabriel and enjoyed it. It's part of a trilogy. The 2nd book is called Lirael (good but end is irritating) and 3rd is called Abhorsen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Think I'll read The Outsider by Albert Camus for about the fifth time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

I'm hoovering up pretty much the entire cannon of James Ellroy at the moment.

Got in a little cart before the horse, read white jazz, LA Confidental, the cold six thousand, and then american tabloid. Then I needed to re-read the cold six thousand afterwards.

All four of those get my two thumbs up must read, fantastic esp if you release you've read most of Raymond Chandlers works and crave more.

Anyway now I'm onto Ellroy's earlier works stuff like The Big Nowhere, because he focuses on a very specific location and time period, (post war LA) for most of his work, theres alot of character cross over, it's fascinating watching Dudley smith grow from shrewd cop to underworld god, also Buzz Meeks a character who surfaces developed differently across several books, right now he's a prototype Pete Bondurant Howard Hughes muscle.

Also the books share similiar themes it's very strange working back over an authour body of works starting with his best and well known stuff and watching how he developed and honed his stories and style, improving them with each book.

But I is rambling, and the books are so worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

'the elegant universe' by Brian Greene (so good I'm limiting myself to a few pages a day)
    'fools die' by Mario Puzo (the godfather guy, a good read so far. vegas and gangsters)
    and
    'straw dogs' by somebody or other (slow to start so far, only 2 chapters in).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

I'm reading "The Little Friend" by Donna Tartt. My mom got it for me a while ago after I read "The Secret History", which I thought most intriguing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

nearing the end of "The Da Vinci Code". very impressed. Farenheit 451 up next, or else Iain M Banks "Against a Dark Background "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

just finished non-fiction by chuck palahniuk, quite interesting if you like his other books

bout to start norwegian wood by haruki murakami

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

I forgot, I'm also reading "Untitled document" on somethingawful.
    Best book ewvar !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Catch-22, again, damn I love this book :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

im reading this for the second time, its pretty good actually..

• Registered Users Posts: 44 andersde10

just started A Short History of Nearly Everything by bill bryson, 100 pages in and very interesting so far - specially if ya ever wondered about the world and all that kinda stuff.

just finished reading all Dan Browns books - all well worth reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Micro1

Just started 'Jonathon Strange & Mr Norrell' BY Susanna Clarke. From what ive heard its meant to rock. Ill let ya all know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Just finished "A Short History " and "the DaVinci Code" both excellent and highly recommended.

Reading "The Naked Politician" at the moment, very good insight into why people get into politics in Ireland and what kind of people make good/bad politicians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Now that Jack Feeney* has gone away I can say without fear of starting a flame war that I read "In Search of Competence" and that it reminded me of the quote often attributed to Samuel Johnson
    Your manuscript is both good and original. But the part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good.

*OMG He's back again on the after hours board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Jack Feeney

pork99 wrote:
    Now that Jack Feeney* has gone away I can say without fear of starting a flame war that I read "In Search of Competence" and that it reminded me of the quote often attributed to Samuel Johnson

*OMG He's back again on the after hours board

Peter,

You could never start a flame war -that would be like a dog walking on its hind legs! Wasn't it Johnson who said "Only a blockhead writes for anything other than money" and more appropriately:

"The Irish are not in a conspiracy to cheat the world by false representations of the merits of their countrymen. No, Sir; the Irish are a fair people; they never speak well of one another."

Thanks for your feedback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

yea so anyway..........

i'm mostly reading the poetry of Frank O'Hara. the man was a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Just finished Senor Vivo and The Coca Lord - Louis de Bernieres, it's worth a look if you have a craving for print.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

It's a fantastic book I reckon.

The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts and The Troublesome Offspring on Cardinal Guzman are both worth looking at as well. Both better actually I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Finnished a book called "Barlycorn Blues" by Lee Dunne, about two alcoholics who make a pact to get off the one of them is an irish emigrant. They both move to ireland where their willpower to stay dry is tested in various ways. not the best book I have read I found it quite hard to read as it wasn't very descriptive.

Have just started the Da Vinci Code by Dan Browne up as Chapter 7 of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

"Dead Souls" by Nikolai Gogol. F-ing Brilliant.

I might even learn Russian so I can read it in the original (no wait, that'll never happen, too lazy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

i are reading numero uno of the barrytown trilogy, the commitments. f*ckin gas it is!!

classic stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

recently finished

fast food nation - you are what you eat.
    dragon strike - with more attention to the politics and strategy then the tatics and technology compared to tom clancy & co.

recently reread

travels in dreamland "the secret history of area 51" phil patton
    I caught sight of something different in the corner of my vision, a black shape, like a bit engine with vestigial wings, with no windows or canopy - no face- no wheels, its shape biological, even aquatic. It seeed greedy and insensate like a deep ocean dwelling creature, with the hungry mouth of a ram jet front, as sinister and mysterious as if from another world altogether.
    'You didn't see that,' the base commander and tour guide said evenly. We paused and looked for a while, then moved on.
    I did not know it yet, but I had seen my first piece of Dreamland.

dipping in and out of

one day in a very long war - john ellis
    it's a book about wednesday 25 otcober 1944 with background info to explain the event leading up to the day, takes in most sectors of the war including China , the historical battle of course being Leyte Gulf
    makes me wish there were other ones for some of the earlier years too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

at present Im as far as Chapter 26 of Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.

there was a three for the price of two in easons on Dan Brown books in easons I bought the da vinci code, angels and demons and got digital fortress free.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement