Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

"The Black Company" by Glen Cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Battle Cry by Leon Uris

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Finally back to the dark tower series.
    Wizard and glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

AJG wrote:
    This week its Pleasures & Regrets by Proust. First thing I've read by him. Its alright but has anyone read In Search of Lost Time/Rembrance of Things Past?
    I'm currently five books through. It's really good but definitely not for the faint of heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

War of the World- Niall Ferguson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The Art of War by Sun-Tzu - yes, yes I'll show myself out now don't worry :D
    /Hides well-thumbed copy of Machievelli's "The Prince" and "The Discourses".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

2010 odyssey 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

The Average American Male - Chad Kultgen bit slight but good would recommend it to females looking for an insight into how the male mind works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

What good are the arts? by John Carey. Its not bad but its not mind blowing either. He starts by dismissing almost all theories about what art is and isn't and why its good or bad, using rather extreme examples in a lot of cases. But he doesn't offer any real alternative other than anything can be art if someone says it is, which while valid isn't what I had hoped for. Well written though and good to get another opinion on those authors that have been presented to me for the last three years as the pinnacle of criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

about 160 pages into 'The Glass Bead Game' by Hermann Hesse, it's okay, a bit boring in places.

last book i read was 'New York Trilogy' by Paul Auster and thought it was fantastic, one of the best books i've read in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Extreme-LoopZ

I'm about a third of the way through David Copperfield by Dickens. It was really good to start with, it seems to be getting a bit bland now though...... but Uriah Heep is such a great character :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

the back of me cornflakes box

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just started As Used on the Famous Nelson Mandela by Mark Thomas. Anyone familiar with his stand-up will know what to expect, a thoughtful and well researched left-leaning rant against something that's wrong with our society, in this case the arms trade. Interesting stuff so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

Since the Proust its been:

Journey to the East - Hermann Hesse
    To the Slaughterhouse - Jean Giono
    A Tale of a Tub - Jonathan Swift
    Gold - Blaise Cendrars

Currently on Interzone by William Burroughs.

The Hesse and Giono were excellent and the Swift and Cendrars were pretty good. I've only started Interzone but it seems promising.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Not yet half way through it but I have just stopped reading 'Bonfire of the Vanities' and I don't intend returning to it.
    I bought 'Stand Up And Fight' on Monday and had it finished by Tuesday morning.
    Now I'm onto 'Frank Zappa' by Barry Miles.
    After that it's probably back to 'Rabbit Angstrom:The Four Novels', which I previously took a break from about half way through 'Rabbit Is Rich'.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

Just finished "I am not myself these days," by Josh Kilmer-purcell. A very emotionally stirring account of a drag queen's escapades. It's grand if you're in the mood for a truly pathetic story.

Burroughs' Interzone was a decent read. It acts as a kind of link between Junky, Queer and the later stuff like Naked Lunch.

Just started H. Rider Haggard's 'She'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

The King James Bible, riviting stuff, Noah is building a big ass ark I wonder whats going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Brittlewood by John Banville

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Lately, I'm dug into Caesar by Adrian Goldsworthy.

A great read.

He hasn't crossed the Rubicon yet. :)

• Advertisement

QI The book of general Ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Richard Ellmann James Joyce

Jonathan Swift - Gulliver's Travels

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, absolutely loved it. Thought it was insightful, well written and inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Wonderfully insightful of Henry James. But, what a self-centered man was the latter & what a sad, lonely life, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

James Joyce Poems and Shorter Writings

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TragicJohnson

The Crow Road By Iain Banks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

humbert, i *loved* the fountainhead too!
    Currently on Oranges are not the only fruit, not very impressed tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

After a number of years of reading solely science books and magazines, I'm now currently reading Love in the Time of Cholera, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

• Advertisement

And another thing, The world according to Clarkson Vol 2

Jeremy Clarkson

Its not all high brow stuff you know :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement