Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Picture Perfect - Jodi Picoult

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The Pillars of the Earth by Follett, Ken

Its a big 'un, but brilliant so far

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Simon Reynolds Bring the Noise

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

Laurence Durrell - The Black Book

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Just finished The Judas Strain by Jmaes Rollins and moving onto Corsair by Tim Severin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Still Summer - Jacueline Mitchard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Hello everybody,

I just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy, which is a fantastic book, and now I am reading The Savage Garden by Mark Mills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

AJG wrote:
    A Tale of a Tub - Jonathan Swift

^^
    Really great book too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Just finished "The end of Mr Y". Not really worth the read.

Moving on to Elf Sorrow by James Barclay now. Looking foward to that read, if its any good I think I will read the other two books in the Legends of the Raven trilogy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

John Updike - Licks of Love (mainly for the concluding 'Rabbit Remembered' novella that is included)
    John wrote:
    Simon Reynolds Bring the Noise

What do you think? Not as good as Rip it up or Energy Flash but it's to be expected from a collection of articles. Still enjoyed it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 black #8

Just started " do androids dream of electric sheep? "

Always meant to read it, but never got around to it, so i finally bought it and away i go! It's good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Ryanland by Philip Nolan. Nice light writing style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Lisey's Story - Stephen King

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

black #8 wrote:

<3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Just finished Stephen King's "The Dead Zone". Absolutely ****ing brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Just finished The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Just finished last Harry Potter. I didn't read any of the others but have seen all the films so far. In the past I have scoffed at reading this series but I was completely wrong, loved it.

I'm now reading 1984 before I go back to college and enforced learning begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

stovelid wrote:
    What do you think? Not as good as Rip it up or Energy Flash but it's to be expected from a collection of articles. Still enjoyed it though.

Not really enjoying it so far. I'm only about 50 pages in (so all articles from 1986-ish) and his style is so utterly pretentious that I just want to slap him! I really enjoyed Rip it Up... but this isn't doing much for me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Finished Metamorphosis and a few other of Franz Kafka's short stories and now I'm almost at the end of Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice. I'm reading it only because I loved the first two so much. This seems to be an excuse for a ridiculous theological adventure. Grrrrr... I hope The Vampire Armand is good because I'm losing hope with the Vampire Chronicles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Theory of Poker by David Sklansky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Wolves eat dogs by Martin Cruz Smith.

Quite a good thriller.

Just finished Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson and started Full of Life by John Fante.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Just finished Filth by Irvine Welsh, now on to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, which I'm determined to finish this time!
    black #8 wrote:

This is on my 'must get around to it' list as well - I've seen (the various editions) of Blade Runner so many times, it's silly that I haven't read the origin.

On a bit of a Fante kick lately, finished Full Of Life and moved onto West Of Rome which is two novellas, his stuff is very accessible and straight from the heart. I'm debating whether I could do his 'Ask The Dust' novel with a 2nd year class. I'm really reticent about tackling 'To Kill A Mockingbird' for the trillionth time, but it mightn't be my call so I'll have to wait and see. Not knocking Lee's book but its been set up as a bit of a 'tome'. It would be nice to try something else for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

AJG wrote:
    I'm really reticent about tackling 'To Kill A Mockingbird' for the trillionth time, but it mightn't be my call so I'll have to wait and see. Not knocking Lee's book but its been set up as a bit of a 'tome'. It would be nice to try something else for a change.
    I know what you mean about it being a bit of a 'tome' but I read it for the first time recently and it's a fantastic book on so many levels. I read it in two days and I'm by no means a bookworm. I would highly recommend that you give it a bash. Apart from being a literary masterpiece it's a bloody good read.

Its not a bad book by any means. Thats not my problem but I went to the school I teach in currently and read the exact same book in 2nd year. It just seems that things haven't changed a jot. I'm more in favour of alternating it. I would like to show my class that there's a bit more to literature (the same reason that Shakespeare is accepted as the be all and end all of drama). I've been looking at the curriculum and as far as I can tell its not a prescribed text. So there's no reason why I have to do it with them. I just want to keep both myself and the class interested. (Hope that doesn't sound too selfish).

Sorry for straying off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you said that you'd never read it. All clear now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Colm Toibin - The Story of the Night. So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Well Memnoch the Devil completely redeemed itself so I'm happy.

Just started Simon Schama's 'Citizens'. I've been looking forward to reading about the French Revolution after reading a Tale of Two Cities by Dickens.

• Advertisement

Just finished 'Down And Out In Paris And London' by George Orwell and moved onto 'The Complete Book Of Friends' By Henry Miller.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement