Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Just starting Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    Just starting Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières

It's a bit intense at the beginning but it gets good about 100 pages in...People say it's crap but I think they're confusing it with the film...It moved me but I might have been a touch fragile at the time. Still and all,I enjoyed it immensely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Haven't posted here in ages...

Game Theory And Strategy - Straffin

Gotten back into the good ould popular science books.

KIVES wrote: »
    It's a bit intense at the beginning but it gets good about 100 pages in...People say it's crap but I think they're confusing it with the film...It moved me but I might have been a touch fragile at the time. Still and all,I enjoyed it immensely

I got a loan of the book off someone and she told me that it gets good a fair few pages in too. I'm around the 80 page mark at the moment and have to say I'm enjoying it so far, and I've never seen the film either so I don't really know what to expect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

House of Chains - Steven Erikson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

My God, this thread was started in 1999!!!!! That's unbelievable! An eight year thread.

Am reading Shampoo Planet by Douglas Coupland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

monkey9 wrote: »
    My God, this thread was started in 1999!!!!! That's unbelievable! An eight year thread.

Am reading Shampoo Planet by Douglas Coupland

Eight years old and still there is terrible grammar in the thread's title!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

John wrote: »
    What was that that you said to me about if you've nothing nice to say don't say anything at all? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

just reread His Dark Materials, and now reading Last King of Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

theCzar wrote: »
    now reading Last King of Scotland.

Finished that a couple of weeks ago, its a great read, I loved the film but the book is much better.

Im reading The Road by Cormac Mc Carthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

The book of lost things by John Connolly

BaZmO* wrote: »
    What was that that you said to me about if you've nothing nice to say don't say anything at all? ;)

Touché! :D

Although I do find the irony delicious that the literature forum has such a glaring error in a thread title!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Just read The Big O by Declan Burke. A good read by a good young Irish writer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

jesus christ.. 8 years old

could this be the longest running(active) thread on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

The Boat In The Evening by Tarjei Vesaas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

John wrote: »

I think the thread title might actually be a homage to a particular sketch from the TV show called The Fast Show. The line "This week I are mostly.." is what one of the characters says.

Anyway on topic, I got around to reading Nineteeneightyfour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Creature wrote: »

So did I, its a bit meh.

Creature wrote: »
    I think the thread title might actually be a homage to a particular sketch from the TV show called The Fast Show. The line "This week I are mostly.." is what one of the characters says.

Ah right, that shuts me up. I could never stand the Fast Show so didn't get the reference.

Great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Remember To Remember by Henry Miller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

biZrb wrote: »
    Im reading The Road by Cormac Mc Carthy

Must read that one soon. I'm reading River God by Wilbur Smith at the moment. About half way through now. Not a bad read so far.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Rising Sun - John Toland

The decline and fall of the Japanese empire
    Amazing so far, lots of stuff I've never heard of before about the war in the East. Tons of stuff about how the diplomacy nearly worked and how many chances the US had to detect the attack, am on page 233 and still haven't got to Pearl Harbour.

About to start 'Selected Writings' by Voltaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

First post on this section (How did I miss this all along?)
    This week I have finished reading:
    "The Memory of Running" - Ron McLarty. Couldn't put it down, read it cover to cover with about 4 hours sleep in betweeen (Much to the dismay/disgust of the future wife who couldn't sleep with the light on). I though it was a great read, better than I had anticipated. Funny, Sad, Endearing and Charming, So much depth in one book, a real find.
    I have also just completed (within the last 2 weeks or so);
    "Oh Pure and radiant Heart" - Lydia Millet. A real work of fiction with a bit of history bundled in, remided me a little of some of Haruki Murakami's Works, a little left of centre but an Enjoyable read.
    "The Inheritance of Loss" - Kiran Desai. Overall I did enjoy reading this, not exactly up my street but I thought it was well written, had a resonable good story to it but It lacked something in the finishing straight, read it and you'll agree. Having said that I found myself analysing it after finishing it trying to piece things together. A good read.
    "A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian" - Marina Lewycka. Another good one, funny (but not as funny as the cover blurbs would have you believe), horrendous prose in places, but equally rewarding in others, seemed a bit haphazard, but I'm thinking that this is a reflection of the different sub-plots, enjoyable and entertaining.
    I'm about to dive into "The Idiot" - Fyodor Dostoevsky, been on hold for a while. Last few Russian Classics I read seemed to drain me, and to think, we do this for pleasure?
    Bertie (Oh, are these posts supposed to be short? Sorry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Chumpski wrote: »
    Must read that one soon. I'm reading River God by Wilbur Smith at the moment. About half way through now. Not a bad read so far.

I have to read that, I've just been reluctant to buy it because of the price! It's not really a book I'll read twice so it's a bit of a waste. I actually quite like his Egyptian series - I've always loved anything to do with ancient Egypt - and I found it really unusual to read a book set then. However, I'm not really a fan of Wilbur Smith - sexism, paedophelia, racism, and even the rather less offensive crime of repetitive and cliched stories appear in his books, but I thought the Egyptian series didn't really include these aspects.

Anyway, I'm reading Kate Mosse's latest bestseller Sepulchre - I thought Labyrinth was okay but could have been better and I'm already thinking the same about this book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Ronan3345

On The Road. Jack Kerouac. (for the 1st time):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Faerie wrote: »
    I have to read that, I've just been reluctant to buy it because of the price! It's not really a book I'll read twice so it's a bit of a waste. I actually quite like his Egyptian series - I've always loved anything to do with ancient Egypt - and I found it really unusual to read a book set then. However, I'm not really a fan of Wilbur Smith - sexism, paedophelia, racism, and even the rather less offensive crime of repetitive and cliched stories appear in his books, but I thought the Egyptian series didn't really include these aspects.

Yeah i'm the same, i was keen to read a book set in ancient egypt and i had heard good things about that series. Im almost finished it now. A few months back i read the first book in the Emperor series (Set in the Rome Republic era). Theres a book full of cliche characters! It was so dull to read. River God is at least reasonably well written. I am considering getting the next book in the series already.
    Anyway, I'm reading Kate Mosse's latest bestseller Sepulchre - I thought Labyrinth was okay but could have been better and I'm already thinking the same about this book!

The thing that struck me about Labyrinth was that it was a slow burner. Took ages to get going. I enjoyed it but a good indicator for me is wanting to come back to a book and enjoy it again later. I havn't been bothered with reading Labyrinth again in 18 months which just goes to show i suppose. Sepulchre sounded interesting enough. Might get it anyway.

Just starting George Pelecanos' Drama City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

The Story of Art -EH Gombrich

Collected stories- John Cheever

am i the only one who needs to be reading fiction whilst also reading non fiction?

• Advertisement

Cormac McCarthy The Road

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement