Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Started (and finished) The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne. Really enjoyed the book, quite simple and easy to read (aimed at both a child and adult audience), yet a powerful story.
    Is it just me or does that book have one huge gaping historical flaw?

The two kids in the story are supposed to be ten years old. They would have both been very aware of who exactly Hitler was because of the Hitler Youth (14+) and the Deutches Jungvolk (10+) movements.

Although joining either organisation was not compulsory, kids faced enormous peer pressure to join up. Certainly either boy would have known who 'the Fury' was.

I think it would have worked if the boys were aged 5 or 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

My name is red.

Good, and getting better but slow to start initially. I expected a bit more from a nobel prize winner I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Is it just me or does that book have one huge gaping historical flaw?

The two kids in the story are supposed to be ten years old. They would have both been very aware of who exactly Hitler was because of the Hitler Youth (14+) and the Deutches Jungvolk (10+) movements.

Although joining either organisation was not compulsory, kids faced enormous peer pressure to join up. Certainly either boy would have known who 'the Fury' was.

I think it would have worked if the boys were aged 5 or 6.

No doubt. Throughout the book it kinda of irritated me how ignorant Bruno was. He mispronounced words (Fury, Outwith), he didn't recognise suffering, he wasn't aware of what his Father was doing even before the concetration camp. He doesn't recognise his sisters flirting, or what appears to be the Mother's affair. He doesn't realise the state of affairs the country is in beyond that it is dangerous at night. Protective parents is to far-fetched, when the schooling system is so behind the movement too that he wouldn't be able escape the facts.

At one point, he even salutes and says "Heir Adolf!" which he assumes to be a phrase to say goodbye.

The thing is, Bruno child-like mentality is in the backbone of the story. It makes what unfolds more tragic. It makes the situation more shocking by using implicit criticism. Because of his mentality you think of the children (represent by Shmuel) on the other side of fence who are just like him.

I agree that a five year old would be better than 9-10. However, the book was originally intended for children so I would assume that John Boyne wanted a character children could maybe relate to. He needed certain facets of a 10 years old intelligence and personality.

So while it's flawed, I think it's purpose is noble and the story constructed well enough to forgive him. At the end of the day, it's fiction and doesn't try to be to authoritative.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

'The Wine Of Youth: Selected Stories' by John Fante.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

jPod by Douglas Coupland. It's funny and quirky and I'm really enjoying it. There's no real plot, just a series of overlapping occurances in the life of the main character. It's a bit like an updated version of Microserfs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. I really don't like it (it's gotten quite ridiculous) but I'll give it a chance and finish it!

'The Big Hunger: Stories, 1932-1959' by John Fante.

I haven't been that quick in a while but I guess its the crappy weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭slinky

No doubt. Throughout the book it kinda of irritated me how ignorant Bruno was. He mispronounced words (Fury, Outwith), he didn't recognise suffering, he wasn't aware of what his Father was doing even before the concetration camp. He doesn't recognise his sisters flirting, or what appears to be the Mother's affair. He doesn't realise the state of affairs the country is in beyond that it is dangerous at night. Protective parents is to far-fetched, when the schooling system is so behind the movement too that he wouldn't be able escape the facts.

At one point, he even salutes and says "Heir Adolf!" which he assumes to be a phrase to say goodbye.

The thing is, Bruno child-like mentality is in the backbone of the story. It makes what unfolds more tragic. It makes the situation more shocking by using implicit criticism. Because of his mentality you think of the children (represent by Shmuel) on the other side of fence who are just like him.

I agree that a five year old would be better than 9-10. However, the book was originally intended for children so I would assume that John Boyne wanted a character children could maybe relate to. He needed certain facets of a 10 years old intelligence and personality.

So while it's flawed, I think it's purpose is noble and the story constructed well enough to forgive him. At the end of the day, it's fiction and doesn't try to be to authoritative.

I was very disappointed with this book after hearing so much about it. If Bruno
    opened his mouth in to another O oh I swear:mad:
    The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. I really don't like it (it's gotten quite ridiculous) but I'll give it a chance and finish it!

This book was reviewed on The View last night and was totally slated, one of the worst reviews of a book I've seen on it.

At the moment I'm reading Strumpet City by James Plunkett and I'm really enjoying it. One of the most interesting books I've read in years. It's long (over 500 pages) but the characters are so fascinating I can't put it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

slinky wrote: »

This book was reviewed on The View last night and was totally slated, one of the worst reviews of a book I've seen on it.

At the moment I'm reading Strumpet City by James Plunkett and I'm really enjoying it. One of the most interesting books I've read in years. It's long (over 500 pages) but the characters are so fascinating I can't put it down.

Strumpet City - One of the best books i've ever read. Had never heard of it before, though i know there was a tv series. A really nice surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Haha, I forgot about that thing. Very annoying indeed. I think his mother did it once, I almost cracked up laughing. Not the best simile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

monkey9 wrote: »
    Strumpet City - One of the best books i've ever read. Had never heard of it before, though i know there was a tv series. A really nice surprise

I found a very old copy of that the other day and I wasn't sure if I'd bother reading it or not. I might have a read of it because both of you said it's good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I don't know why, but James Plunkett seems to be almost criminally overlooked as one of the great Irish writers.

Check out his collection of short stories - The Gems She Wore. I think it's still in print.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

just finished a charles bukowski biography. still struggling with gravity's rainbow, on pg. 351 out of 900 now.

gonna read travels in the scriptorium by paul auster next.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Cormac McCarthy All the Pretty Horses

monkey9 wrote: »
    I don't know why, but James Plunkett seems to be almost criminally overlooked as one of the great Irish writers.

Check out his collection of short stories - The Gems She Wore. I think it's still in print.

Well, I stayed up until 2 in the morning to finish the book, I'm yawning all day and I'm still thinking about the characters! One of the best books I've ever read, primarily because of all the wonderful characters that Plunkett created. I'm still thinking about one of the last scenes involving a man caught up in The Lockout and despite what's left unsaid you know what is going to happen to him, and what little choice he had over his own future. I'll definitely check out some more of Plunkett's work; and definitely one of the best Irish novels I've ever read. Granted the SLINKY recommendation:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Well I dug out that old copy and have just started Strumpet City :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The Bone Hunters - Steven Erikson.
    Book 6 of The Malazan Tale of the fallen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr. Bones

buck65 wrote: »
    New York Trilogy
    by Paul Auster.

Really enjoyed the first 2 stories, onto the Locked Room now.

I remember picking up a copy of this in the library a few years back and reading the opening line "It was a wrong number that started it, the telephone ringing three times in the dead of night and a voice on the other end asking for someone he was not" & being unable to put it down until i'd finished. I'm not great at remembering quotes, but this one has always stayed with me for some reason.
    theCzar wrote: »
    My name is red.

Good, and getting better but slow to start initially. I expected a bit more from a nobel prize winner I think!

I was disappointed with this one, just felt it dragged too often. Bit of a chore to get through to the end.

Samuel Beckett - The Grove Centenary Edition Vol. 1 Novels: Murphy, Watt, Mercier and Camier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Liseys Story by Stephen King.
    Im finding it hard to get into as I have done with alot of his more recent stuff.
    I dunno but I think he has somewhat lost what he once had (from a buick 8 anyone)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I read into the wild by John Krakauer, it was the best book I've read in a while. Now I'm reading Lolita again, I can't get enough of Nabokov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Notes from the underground - Dostoyevsky

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Cormac McCarthy The Crossing

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
    Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Good call on Heart of Darkness, great book

Martin Amis - The Rachel Papers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Nearly finished The End of the Affair by Graham Greene (its only teensy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

stovelid wrote: »
    Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami.

One of my FAVOURITE novels, hope you enjoyed it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

Have just finished Shopaholic & Baby by Sophie Kinsella - fab!

Think I'll be starting The Memory Keeper's Daughter next...has anybody read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
    Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad

Both are brilliant. I bought Pale Fire today by Nabokov, I haven't been this excited about a book in a while!

Oh and I was looking at Cormac McCarthy's The Road and the back didn't reveal much except something about a father, a son, a road, and destruction. Considering he's held in high regards here on boards (well everywhere for that matter), can anyone give me the gist of the book without giving anything away? (that's why I'm afraid of googling it). Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

ozzyoh wrote: »

Think I'll be starting The Memory Keeper's Daughter next...has anybody read it?

Haven't read it myself but everyone who does seems to really like it (and it's permanently booked out at work (library) so it must be pretty good, not my thing, but I think if it is you'd enjoy it - similar to Jodi Picoult as far as I know, if that means anything to you!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement