Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Valmont wrote: »
    Oh and I was looking at Cormac McCarthy's The Road and the back didn't reveal much except something about a father, a son, a road, and destruction. Considering he's held in high regards here on boards (well everywhere for that matter), can anyone give me the gist of the book without giving anything away? (that's why I'm afraid of googling it). Cheers

It's basically all you need to know. There's been an apocalypse and a father and his son are trying to travel along the road and do all they can to survive. There's really not much more to it but the way it's written... Wow, just amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

apocalypse, got it, that's all I need to know, cheers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Just finished The Gathering. I enjoyed it. I liked the way the narrator blends the stories of her grandmother, her youth and the present day.

This week i'm re-reading lord of the rings. It always takes me ages to get past the first section
    until they arrive at rivendell
    . After that its can't stop reading mode for me:).

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

'The Solitude Of Compassion' by Jean Giono.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

i just finished "Burmese days" by Orwell. is there any book by him thats not horribly deppressing? maybe the non-fiction about the spanish civil war?? that turned out happily for the republicans didnt it!!!??

• Advertisement

Down and out in Paris and London can be funny in places. Its not horribly depressing but sombre in places. If you've worked a crappy low paid job at some point you could relate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Charles Stross - Singularity Sky, The Atrocity Archives

Both recommended, the latter highly, especially for the IT geeks.

'The Sorrows Of Young Werther' by J.W. v Goethe.

'Candide' by Voltaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

'Molloy' by Samuel Beckett

• Advertisement

'How It Is' by Samuel Beckett.

I feel I should be reading a Beckett book but last night I read Count Eric Steinbock's Faust.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Guards! Guards! - Terry Pratchett.

'Into The Heart Of Life: Henry Miller At One Hundred'.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Currently reading "Then End of Mr Y" by Scarlett Thomas. Kind of weird but very well written, it was apparently my 'wild card' book for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Making Money by Terry Pratchett; surprise! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Just finished Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood...

Hidden Streams (local history book) is next on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Robbiethe3rd

Im about to embark on War and Peace, (Tolstoy) should I bother or am I wasting my time, anyone here who's actually plowed through the whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Things don't become classics just because they're long...

I'm reading Memoir by John McGahern. I found it strange at first that it's not divided at all into chapters or sections, but it makes sense. Life doesn't have chapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Karlusss wrote: »
    I'm reading Memoir by John McGahern. I found it strange at first that it's not divided at all into chapters or sections, but it makes sense. Life doesn't have chapters.

What about the one on Middle Abbey st.?

What about the phrase "starting a new chapter of my life"?

I think I'm chapter five or six of my life, I'm not sure I'm gelling with the protangist, and the lack of love interest has made some of the chapters boring, but I'll hold off my final verdict until I finish it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Just started Hard Revolution by George Pelecanos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Skittles!

Bare Bones by Kathy Reichs

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

"Edward Trencom's Nose: A Novel of History, Dark Intrigue and Cheese" by Giles Milton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

"The Road to Wigan Pier" by George Orwell. Really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Tir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Troy: Fall of kings by David/Stella Gemmell. Poignant

New York Noise by Paula Court and a bunch of New York musicians/artists.

'Dream Of Fair To Middling Women' by Samuel Beckett.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Reading 2 books at the same time is... difficult. But they are both very good and I can't put either down (it's all very perplexing, granted).

One is a truly excellent biography of Manfred von Richthofen called Red Baron: The Life and Death of an Ace, by Peter Kilduff. The other is the entertaining and educating Vive la Revolution by Mark Steel, an alternative take on the events of the French Revolution, but grounded in the hard facts of what took place - political, non-fiction, comic history. Brilliant read, I'd recommend it to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

the gambler by oisin mcconville.... a bit disappointed;too much gaa. wrong title very misleading

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement