Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

at present Im as far as Chapter 26 of Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.

there was a three for the price of two in easons on Dan Brown books in easons I bought the da vinci code, angels and demons and got digital fortress free.

Eason's off-loading stock before the Dan Brown bubble bursts, but i'm a bitter, petty man...([rant]come on people, it's a decent thriller with some gimmicks, not the definitive work of the 21st century[/rant])

now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to make myself sound like a pretentious snob:

I'm reading an excellent peace of narrative history called "Rubicon: The triumph and tragedy of the Roman Republic" by Tom Holand, Easy to read, written for the layman like myself and full of all the (off) colour of Roman politics.

Just finished "The Negotiator" by Frederick Forsyth. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

I finished reading Pat Spillanes book 'A Pat on the back' last week. Was worth the read, a good book even if he did sound arrogant quite a bit and most of the jokes were crap. And the amount of times he mentioned the great Kerry team of the 80's that he played with...

I started reading Ten Men Dead the other day, have read 80 or so pages so far, its about the 1981 hungerstrikes, you get to read about what happened before, during and after the hungerstrike and what went on in the H-Blocks. So far it has been a very good read, and its one of the most interesting books I have read in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I just finnished "Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and am up to Ch. 14 or Digital Fortress.

I plan on reading deception point afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

My Name is Red, Orhan Pamuk. I've had this book for ages and had been put off by some of the bad reviews I had seen following the IMPAC award, but it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Them and The Men who stare at goats.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Currently reading Pompeii by Robert Harris. So far, the book seems pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Down and Out in Paris and London, Orwell, great read.

Dipping into A short history of nearly everything - Bill Bryson

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Down and Out in Paris and London, Orwell

Thats an excellent book.

I've just finished Digital Fortress (Dan brown), it was my first one of his book and I can see why people like him, very easy to read

I've just started A Game of Thrones (G.R.R Martin) - I think I'm going to get hooked and end up reading the whole series in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

matrim wrote:
    I've just started A Game of Thrones (G.R.R Martin) - I think I'm going to get hooked and end up reading the whole series in a week.
    Probably. It's like grammatical crack.

Just finished the Great Gatsby, very well written, but the story is a bit pants IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

am almost finnished "Rage" by wilbur smith

bought a book today called "The Nephelim : Pyrimids of the apocolypse, the author Patrick heron was featured on an internet station I listen to. supposed to be about "endtimes" and all that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

Im almost finished Brightness Falls by Jay McInerney, im reading the Ross O'Carroll Kelly books on the train and i have good intentions towards reading Huck Finn, Dubliners, the Canterbury Tales and alll the other books on my course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Started the His Dark Materials collection by Pilip Pullman and I'm currently halfway through the second book.

Dark materials is a class trilogy, crazy like an animal fire, but class.

I'm reading Homer's Illiad, not really my cupán tae...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

This week, I are mostly reading "The Gathering Storm" by Kate Elliott. Damn woman, do you know any editors? Yer clocking in at 1037 pages on Book 5 of 6. I expect to be reading this one for a bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

re-reading the lovely bones by Alice Sebold, i just hope the movie adaptation doesnt turn into a big screen desparate housewives type thang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Just started reading Hippopotamus by steven fry,, grabed my attention quickly ,
    anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I'm reading Off the Road by Carolyn Cassady at the moment, very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

re-reading the Barrytown Trilogy by Roddy Doyle.

love it so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Started the His Dark Materials collection by Pilip Pullman and I'm currently halfway through the second book.

Yeah thats a great series,

I just got L4yer cake by JJ Connolly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I just got L4yer cake by JJ Connolly

Good book - I spotted the next book by him in Easons - but when I got round to buying it it was gone :(

Currently reading Age of Misrule Trilogy by Mark Chadbourn - great mix of fantasy and modern life. Nice and dark too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre. Exceelent, nearly finished plan to Start Angels and Demons by Dan Brown next.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Still haven't finished A Farewell To Arms.
    Think I'll do that tonight.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm reading the Wizard of Earthsea books for the first time. Just finished book 1 and I enjoyed it. Now to search for book 2 which is somewhere in my house.........

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'm reading the miseducation of ross o carrol kelly

it's giving me a headache, but i am determind to read it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭TrickyDicky

I'm reading "Barbarians at the Gate: The Fall of RJR Nabisco". So far so good :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Catch 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

A Heart so white - marias (very good)
    The pigeon - Patrick Suskind (of perfume fame...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Etain

The Egyptologist by Arthur Phillips.... I'm fairly certain that I've figured out the mystery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

The Grapes of Wrath

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement