Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Serpentine wrote: »
    Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson

I loved this book but strangely enough I can't figure out why. It's the sort of story that usually wrecks my head! A great read though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

AJG wrote: »
    'Walden and Civil Disobedience' - Henry David Thoreau.

Sitting in my pile, I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

Walden was a really good read and I'm now reading 'Kappa' by Ryunosuke Akutagawa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

monkey9 wrote: »
    I've got this at home but haven't begun it yet. Judging by your comment, it sounds like a sequel. If so, would i need to read previous books to get what's going on or is it just a stand alone book that happens to use the same character as before?

While there isn't a huge amount of back story, I would recommend reading them from the beginning.
    -Every dead thing
    -Dark Hollow
    -The Killing Kind
    -The White Road
    -The Black Angel
    -The Unquiet

Think there's another Charlie Parker one this summer, which is great :)

Anyway, back on-topic, just finished The Gathering by Anne Enright and it was painful. Not in the "oh its so moving and emotional and tragic" way but in the "oh dear god if I could get her I'd kill her and caring at all is proving very difficult" kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein

Well Researched, Well written and one of the scariest books I've ever read, an I'm nowhere near finished it.....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I have that on the list, but I'm a bit scared to read it.

Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

Valmont wrote: »
    I loved this book but strangely enough I can't figure out why. It's the sort of story that usually wrecks my head! A great read though

Yep I know the feeling! :D I love the elements of religious fanaticism & how dangerous it is! Just finished it so this week/next week I'll be reading the Biog of Lucia Joyce (daughter of James who's been written out of history) by Carol Schloss

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

daughter of James who's been written out of history

Eh? She's a fairly central point in most Joyce biographies and criticisms, especially those focusing on Finnegans Wake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

John, I kinda meant to the masses like I don't think she is reecognised but of course to fans of Joyce/anyone who's studied English we recognise her significance. They should make a movie about her/them, maybe they have already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

John, I kinda meant to the masses like I don't think she is reecognised but of course to fans of Joyce/anyone who's studied English we recognise her significance. They should make a movie about her/them, maybe they have already :D

I get you now, I thought you meant that no one paid her any attention. Never mind, wires and crossing and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Piestess of the White - Trudi Canavan. Thursday
    The Last of the Wilds - Trudi Canavan. Yesterday
    Voice of the Gods - Trudi Canavan. Today

'Metamorphosis and other stories' - Franz Kafka.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

AJG wrote: »
    'Metamorphosis and other stories' - Franz Kafka.
    +1 actually

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Precious Blood - Jonathan Hayes

Finished it this morning, great book :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Finally splashed out on the Granta book of American short stories edited by Richard Ford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Joe Cool

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe

'Spring Night' - Tarjei Vesaas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I just finished I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. Really enjoyed it. Anyone seen the film? What's better, the book or film. From what i've heard i'd say it's the book

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

monkey9 wrote: »
    I just finished I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. Really enjoyed it. Anyone seen the film? What's better, the book or film. From what i've heard i'd say it's the book

The book is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The Game- By Neil Struss
    The Dirt (Motley Crue AutoBio)- MC And Neil Struss
    Filth- Irvine Walsh

A really great trio of books all good

• Advertisement

In the middle of reading Vesaas' 'Spring Night' I also managed to squeeze in John B. Keane's 'The Field'. It was really good, I haven't seen the movie in years but it was quite different from what I remember.

Just starting 'Love In The Time Of Cholera' by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr. Bones

'Youth' by J.M. Coetzee

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Mr. Bones wrote: »
    'Youth' by J.M. Coetzee

Any good? I've never read any of his stuff though i've heard a bit about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Disgrace by Coetzee is a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

The Singing Neanderthals by Stephen Mithen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Reaper's Gale - Steven Erikson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Was in Paris for the rugby last weekend, so on return read "A Moveable Feast", Ernest Hemmingway.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon (so far so good)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

"Library, an Unquiet History" by Matthew Battles.

Very interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement