Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

FruitLover wrote: »
    Currently on Murakami's 'Noruē no Mori' ('Norwegian Wood').

Loved Norwegian Wood, after all these years I think it's still my favourite Murakami.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

randomguy wrote: »
    Any good? I really liked The Sheltering Sky, but haven't read anything else by him.

Just started it. I'm only 20 or so pages in (too many distractions this weekend). Its basically a book of travel writing. If you want to read something else by Bowles I'd recommend the Ecco edition of 'The Stories of Paul Bowles'.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Just started 4th of July - James Patterson.

'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' - Friedrich Nietzsche.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Jailbird - Kurt Vonnegut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

Dark Trade - Donald Mc Rae

At night the salmon move - Raymond Carver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Joe Cool

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FruitLover viewpost.gif
    Currently on Murakami's 'Noruē no Mori' ('Norwegian Wood').

Loved Norwegian Wood, after all these years I think it's still my favourite Murakami.
    I really enjoyed 'Dance, Dance, Dance' but reckon 'Kafka on the Shore' would be a close second.
    I got a copy of his first book 'Pinball' from a mate in a word doc format but haven't had a chance to print if off as yet. As far as I know he's not a big fan of it and doesn't want it published at all.

'Leaves of Grass' The First (1855) Edition - Walt Whitman.

• Moderators Posts: 51,784 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Michael Palin Diaries 1969-1979. The Phyton years.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut

• Advertisement

'Rebellion' - Joseph Roth.

'Cities Of The Red Night' - William S. Burroughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Just finished Ghostwritten, Reading Making Money by Pratchett.

that didn't take long. Making Money was pretty mediocre. Moist Von Lipwig is a good character, but rest of the cast wasn't up to it in this one.

Reading Fahrenheit 451, now. This won't take long either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

skeleton crew - Stephen King

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

"Power and Prosperity" - Mancur Olson

Finished "The Logic of Life" by Tim Harford last week, a very enjoyable read if you're into that kind of thing (ie you enjoyed "The Undercover Economist").

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Getting stuck into Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Just finished reading Martha Long, Ma he sold me for a few cigarettes.
    Horrifying story. Going to hit something light after that... The Island by Victoria Hislop

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

theCzar wrote: »
    Reading Making Money by Pratchett.

So am I. Read Going Postal last week and finished it in about 3 days. Making Money is going a lot slower, and just doesn't have the same punch to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

The Atrocity Archives by Chriss stross

• Advertisement

Slaughterhouse 5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Slaughterhouse 5

Great choice! I love that book!:cool:

A sight for sore eyes by Ruth Rendell

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

EVENTUALLY finished "The Man That Mistook His Wife For A Hat" by Oliver Sacks. Took a while to get through, although I was only reading it during my lunch break and it does lend itself to that type or reading as it's a collection of stories rather than a novel. Fascinating read nonetheless.

Started "Vernon God Little" by DBC Pierre today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Slaughterhouse 5
    ...and so it goes.

Just doing star-jumps here in preparation for getting into Stephen Pinker's "How the Brain Works".

'The Place Of Dead Roads' - William S. Burroughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

At the moment I am reading "Made in America" by Bill Bryson. It's excellent and is full of useful/useless information (depending on your point of view).

Before that I read Slash's autobiography. I like biographies normally but this was more just a list of here's what I drank/snorted/injected/screwed. I don't doubt the guy is genuine but it was more a list of old war stories than anything else. Due to on going legal battles, he couldn't talk about the real reason I wanted to read this, i.e. his long standing feud with Axl Rose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Darondo

'The Invention of Solitude' by Paul Auster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

BaZmO* wrote: »

Started "Vernon God Little" by DBC Pierre today.
    Love that book. Hope you enjoy it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

I bought a lot of books recently, photography & photoshop, webdesign books.. all of which I'm reading bits of.

Picked up lots of random books in Chapters and also on L. Camden Street, there are lots of charity shops there that I'm usually lucky to find something of interest! :) Charity shop book browsing is becoming one of my hobbies! :p
    To give an example: "1000 Great Lives" Men and women who shaped the modern world, it's like a dictionary with a paragraph each on people like Confucius, Karl Marx, Socrates, Marx brothers, Mao Tse-Tung etc.

I'm just starting a book called "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle... Hopefully it will help me to stop saying "I'll quit cigarettes tomorrow" and give me the positivity to just quit. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Bill Bryson's Notes From a Big Country.

Modern day, less serious but just as inciteful as "Letters from America" by Alistair Cook

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement