Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

YogiBear wrote:
    Love that book. Hope you enjoy it.
    So far so good.

YogiBear wrote: »
    To give an example: "1000 Great Lives" Men and women who shaped the modern world, it's like a dictionary with a paragraph each on people like Confucius, Karl Marx, Socrates, Marx brothers, Mao Tse-Tung etc.
    Or even an Encyclopaedia :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

High Soceity.

started this last week and so far so good :)

its quite shocking though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

BaZmO* wrote: »

Or even an Encyclopaedia :p

Just over 500 pages. An excellent bathroom read! ;)

• Moderators Posts: 51,784 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

The Darkest Evening of the Year - Dean Koontz.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Gonna start catch 22 tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

about half way through it now, not enjoying it a whole lot, the style is a bit annoying and not much happening plot wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Sconsey

The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie.... no brainer, easy reading, fantasy novel, I like it :)

...loved Vernon God Little btw, hope you enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

about half way through it now, not enjoying it a whole lot, the style is a bit annoying and not much happening plot wise.

I finished that very recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was interesting to have Death as narrator throughout. It's a little different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Quality wrote: »
    Gonna start catch 22 tonight.

Its been almost a year since I last devoured that book, must get out again.

Wasp Factory next up on the block

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

theCzar wrote: »
    God, just thinking there, it's been about 13 years since I read that book. I feel old. Just looked it up on Wiki and the description seems nothing like how I remembered it, although I do remember enjoying it.

• Advertisement

theCzar wrote: »

I'd forgotten about that book & I only read it last year. Great read!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

The subtle knife , and slaughter house five , so now im pondering what to read next the amber spyglass or Middlesex or indeed any of the many unread books that adorn my book shelves :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

To quote Adrian Mole (badly) "I'm not reading much these days. I'm spending my time living life rather than reading about it".

Have a stack of books at home waiting for the right moment.

BossArky wrote: »
    Have a stack of books at home waiting for the right moment.

Dont we all ??
    Buying books is like ordering Chinese food you always order more than you can get threw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Kurt Vonnegut - The Sirens of Titan

Working my way through his catologue as you may see from my last few posts. Hoping to procure a copy of Slaughterhouse Five next though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭vivadeadponies

Kold wrote: »
    Kurt Vonnegut - The Sirens of Titan

Working my way through his catologue as you may see from my last few posts. Hoping to procure a copy of Slaughterhouse Five next though.

not sure what to make of vonnegut, i've read cats cradle and slaughterhouse five.

loved cats cradle at the start but it descended as i read it.
    then didn't particularly like slaughterhouse until i was looking back on it afterwards.

just bought breakfast of champions, have high hopes.

currently reading: third policeman, nick kent's the dark stuff, Kafka's complete short stories

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

just bought breakfast of champions, have high hopes.
    Breakfast of Champions is beautiful. As funny and intelligent as Vonnegut is, he lets this air of desperation through his writing and although I've only read 4 books, I can't imagine you'd get near to the revelations of his mental state as BofC. It's my favourite of his so far.

Kold wrote: »
    Hoping to procure a copy of Slaughterhouse Five next though.

I liked it but I do think that some people tend to over hype it (it happens with so many books) dont expect a master peice and you will be pleseantly surprised ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy

Happy, feel good stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭stink_fist

james joyce - ulysses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Pickwick Papers by Dickens. I love him. 'pon my honour milord

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

'The Western Lands' - William S. Burroughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

Bringing Down The House - Ben Mezrich

soon to start reading 'Freakonomics' - Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner.

Read both of those Steak. I enjoyed Bringing Down The House but Freakonomics was a bit disappointing as I had read "Enron" by Loren Fox before that and a Dave McWilliams book and other economics type books. Very light entertainment (Freakonomics).

YogiBear wrote: »
    Read both of those Steak. I enjoyed Bringing Down The House but Freakonomics was a bit disappointing as I had read "Enron" by Loren Fox before that and a Dave McWilliams book and other economics type books. Very light entertainment (Freakonomics).

yeah I thought Bringing Down The House was great. I really wanna see the movie now, even though it hasn't been getting the best of reviews.

probably gonna start Freakonomics tonight, I've heard people say that you need to take it with a pinch of salt alright. it'll be something new and different for me anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The City and the Stars (1956) is a science fiction novel by Arthur C. Clarke

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

just started into In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, really excellent stuff so far, got it in the classics section for sod all, well recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Montgomery - every woman in the world should read this book - it's oustanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

'My Education' (A Book Of Dreams) - William S. Burroughs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement