Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

Richard Laymon - Night in the lonesome October.

3rd time reading it. On loan from the library and I'm still loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

The lovely bones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

I'm going through a biography phase. Just finished David Starkey on the early life of Elizabeth 1st and now with Peter Ackroyd on Edgar Allen Poe.

I'm slightly embarrassed to say the choice of David Starkey was inspired by watching the latest Cate Blanchet installment on Elizabeth; Poe was picked up randomly at the library, is brief, but as all i've read of Peter Ackroyd before full of enough detail to fascinate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

Just finished my third time reading 'The Secret History' by Donna Tartt (saw her on Grafton Street a couple of months ago btw...she gave me a look as if to say "yeah yeah I know you recognise me now f*** off")

Reading 'Dresden' by Frederick Taylor, 'Kieren Fallon' by Andrew Longmore and 'Vile Bodies' (again) by Evelyn Waugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Bill Clinton's autobiography "My Life". Tough enough going in that I can't relate to most of the characters.
    Can't help but think it's a "best of" of his own life, even though I respected him as president. He's never shown in a bad light...
    And no, I haven't got to THAT bit yet!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 THEHEDGEHOG

Procopius- Secret History , an analysis of tyrrany 500ad Rome. Some things never change.

Conrad - The Secret Agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Right now reading Heal Your Spirit, Heal Yourself. The Spiritual Medicine Of Tibet by Dr Pema Dorjee with Janet Jones and Terence Moore. It truly is a remarkable and eye opening book. I would highly recommend it to people.

http://www.amazon.com/Heal-Your-Spirit-Yourself-Spiritual/dp/1842931555/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218310230&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Japanese Independent Music by Franck Stofer et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

Finished Special Topics In Calamity Physics By Marisha Pessl yesterday which was pretty good but it flagged a bit in the middle, good ending though.

Started Heartbreaker by Robert Ferrigno this morning. He's always enjoyable, 100 pages in and it's quite entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I'm reading a few at the minute:

The Never-Ending Days Of Being Dead (Non-Fiction): Marcus Chown

Critical Mass (Non-Fiction): Philip Ball

The Book Of Dave: Will Self

Really enjoying this last one; anyone read any of the above and what did you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

persian fire by tom holland, fantastic stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

persian fire by tom holland, fantastic stuff

Have you read "Rubicon"? It is fantastic.

I've just started Germinal by Emile Zola....it's very good. I have a feeling it's not going to be a happy ending!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Toll the Hounds - Steven Erikson

yay!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

Just started 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman and I'm hooked already.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭victoriaa

One flew over the cuckoo's nest.. I already know the end (damn you jack nicholson with all your movies) so it's kinda ruined for me. Nonetheless, a very good book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Flann - At Swim-Two-Birds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Just started Midnights Children, by Salman Rushtie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I read The Orchard Keeper by Cormac McCarthy and What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami while on my holidays. Both very good but very, very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

I've just finished 'The Blind Assasin' by Margaret Atwood. It was really excellent. She has one hell of an imagination!

Currently reading some plays by Noel Coward. Light relief and very witty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Lemon wrote: »
    I've just finished 'The Blind Assasin' by Margaret Atwood. It was really excellent. She has one hell of an imagination!

I loved that book.

Finished Germinal, cried my eyes out in the last 50 pages. Brilliant.

Started "A good and happy child"...it's a little ...unsettling... so far..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Factotum - Charles Bukowski

Awesome awesome read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Reading The Crusades at the moment, trying to not be so ignorant of our history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Roisin89

I've just finished Great Expectations, and I liked the way it was told, and it made me laugh and almost cry, but the ending was a bit abrupt.

I've really gotten into the classics lately, because I like the fact that they are what modern literature is based on.

I think I'm going to start a Colin Bateman book next. I've never read any of his books, but I like the sound of them haha and I saw an interview with him once, and it was really good. It's called "Orpheus Rising: Love, Rockets and a Bloody Great Fish".

=]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Finally got my hands on The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole (Gothic). Looking forward to getting really stuck into it. Gothic novels really float my boat as they give me great inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Just finished reading The Island Of Dr Moreau by H. G. Wells
    Roisin89 wrote: »
    I've just finished Great Expectations, and I liked the way it was told, and it made me laugh and almost cry, but the ending was a bit abrupt.
    =]

Was just about to start reading this

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Just finished reading "A Long Way Gone" by Ismael Beah. Its the memoirs of a child soldier. Should be recommended reading for everyone. Sheds a light of a very different reality to ours, but one that is going on in parrallel. An essential read.

Just starting "Slaughterhouse 5" by Kurt Vonnegut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

God Is Dead by Ron Currie

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Tetra

No Time For Goodbye by Linwood Barclay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Nausea - J-P Sartre

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement