Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Choke chuck Palahuiuk - reading it for book club. Fear of reading outside as if the wind changes the look of disgust and shock will be there forever.
    Just started and probably most sexually graphic thing I have ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 carriebuttercup

Unfortunately I think mags are taking over.

Good to see people reading books.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 carriebuttercup

:)And anyone notice E Books are taking off!!!

That has potential!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 billypilgrim

Just read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson - very nice mystery/thriller.

9781847245458.jpg

I started the sequal today - The Girl who Played with Fire, I like it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Calcio by John Foot. Brilliant book.

I've already lined up White Jazz by James Ellroy to read next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Still reading The Stand, about 700 pages in [and six hundred to go]..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 john77

Just finished reading In Europe by Geert Mak, great read. starting The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Just read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson - very nice mystery/thriller.

9781847245458.jpg

I started the sequal today - The Girl who Played with Fire, I like it so far

Yes, highly recommend! I didnt know the sequel was out... dang, need to make moves, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Generation Kill - Evan Wright. The invasion of Iraq as seen by a Rolling Stone magazine journalist embedded with a US Marine company. Its recently been made into a mini series on HBO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

White Jazz by James Ellroy. It's a bit of a slow-burner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The Snowball
    Warren Buffett
    and the business of life
    by Alice Schroeder
    Bloomsbury ISBN 978 0 7475 9191 7
    838 pages + 99 pages of notes + 23 page index = 960 pages
    about €37 in hardback

Authorised biography of the world's richest person.

On page 416

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fear and loathing in las vegas - Hunter S Thompson
    and
    Shut up and deal - Jesse May

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Just finished The Broken Window by Jeffrey Deaver. Typical formulaic writing-by-numbers from him - don't bother.

The Constant Gardener by John leCarré - bit of a slow burner. I'm halfway through and pretty much nothing interesting has happened since the opening chapter. I'll keep my hopes high, though.

kincsem wrote: »
    The Snowball
    Warren Buffett
    and the business of life
    by Alice Schroeder
    Bloomsbury ISBN 978 0 7475 9191 7
    838 pages + 99 pages of notes + 23 page index = 960 pages
    about €37 in hardback

Authorised biography of the world's richest person.

On page 416

Any good? I'm excited at the thought of an aurthorised biography of Buffett. Its definitely on my to-read list.

I thonk you can get it a little cheaper (about €32) here.

Tristram wrote: »
    Yes, highly recommend! I didnt know the sequel was out... dang, need to make moves, thank you!

Sorry Tristram- it's not out til January, I got my grubby hands on a proof copy through work :D

I'm reading John le Carré's A Most Wanted Man now

I've seen the Generation Kill TV series - it's very good, must grab the book

I've seen the Generation Kill TV series - it's very good, must grab the book

I hadn't planned on reading the book, but after watching the TV show decided to give it a go. The book is brilliant. A great companion piece to the TV show. I rewatched the TV show after finishing the book. You notice/understand a lot more of whats happening.

I'm currently reading "One Bullet Away" by Nate Fick, the autobiography of the Lieutenant commanding bravo platoon in Generation Kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Just bought Irvine Welsh's Glue after finishing Iain Banks' The Wasp Factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭jessbeth

I'm reading Blue Moon from the Twilight Series. I'm really enjoying this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

jessbeth wrote: »
    I'm reading Blue Moon from the Twilight Series. I'm really enjoying this. :D

Hi

Don't you mean New Moon! ;)

Her writing style is very "in the character", i.e you can picture Bella there as you read it. Brilliantly done. The first of her novels in the Twilight series (Twilight) is to get it's film release in November. Should be brilliant (assuming they got the casting right, which I hope they did)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1099212/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

rosboy wrote: »
    Any good? I'm excited at the thought of an aurthorised biography of Buffett. Its definitely on my to-read list.

I thonk you can get it a little cheaper (about €32) here.

I have to admit before I comment on "The Snowball" that I read "Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist" by Roger Lowenstein three times (and have another unauthorised biography "Of Permanent Value" by Andrew Kilpatrick), and about six or seven other books on Buffett and his methods.

"The Snowball" goes into great detail about Buffett's personal life and his extended family. His mother's family had a history of mental problems. There is a lot of information on his childhood, and his teenage moneymaking schemes (incl shoplifting :eek: ). He had a bad relationship with his mother, and could not bear to be in her presence in later life.

Some of the detail is interesting - like Buffett was at a dinner hosted by Kay Graham, the owner of The Washington Post newspaper. He was seated between two women. The woman on Buffett's left had Paul Newman to her left so she spent all night talking to him (naturally). The woman on his right only spoke French so she conversed in French with Ted Kennedy on her right all evening.

Buffett moves in a different world. The band at his daughter's first wedding was Quicksilver Messenger Service - I have one of their LPs. :o

I like the book. My guess is many people might find it a bit uninteresting. I have a few Euro in E*Trade since January and am waiting until I get a good price on Berkshire Hathaway B shares (Buffett's company).

I see the earlier unauthorised biography by Lowenstein is in Dubray books in paperback.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I just finished reading "The Bad Girl" by Mario Vargas Llosa. I thought the premise of the novel was good, but it was incredibly bad. I don't know if it was the original style or the translation but the writing was terrible. The story was repetitive and hard to believe. And there seemed to be a whole "sexually open women and gays get punished for their bad behaviour"vibe off it.

Don't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Just read The Hostage by Brendan Behan-absolutely atrocious. :eek:

Also the Go-Between by LP Hartley which I quite enjoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 john77

Currently reading Zugzwang by Ronan Bennett. This guy is fast becoming one of my favourite authors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

About to start into "The doors of Perception/Heaven and Hell" by Aldous Huxley.Looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

Also the Go-Between by LP Hartley which I quite enjoyed.

I really loved 'The Go Between' , I've read it several times.

Have just finished 'Cats Eye' and 'The Robber Bride' by Margaret Atwood. She really is excellent.

Am reading a lot of WW2 historical non fiction also, gripping stuff.....

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Yazamalainia

Just finished re-reading the odyssey

still working on bram stoker - short stories and dipping in and out of tacitus.....:rolleyes:

Finished A Most Wanted Man by John le Carré. It was a little uneven but i liked it a lot. The last few pages are like getting kicked in the face :D

Reading Deer Hunting with Jesus at the moment and am about to start Bleeding Heart Square by Andrew Taylor. I just wish it wasn't called Bleeding Heart Square

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭smcb

reading A Season in Verona at the minute, great stuff. Have this past while read every one of Charlie Huston's books http://www.pulpnoir.com/ would definitely recommend for any fans of Hitchcock/ wrong place wrong time stories. Recently finished In Cold Blood by Truman Capote as well, now one of my favourite books

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

David Gemmel's 'Sword in the Storm' book 1 of the rigante series.
    I couldnt remember if I'd read any of his before, but now I suspect i did. A good read so I'll pick up the next book in the series later this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy and like i stated in the Critically Aclaimed Books You Hate thread, really did not like it at all.
    Before that, The White Tiger which was a decent read and The History of Tractors In Ukrainian which i liked and kept me interested.
    Have just started Dostoyevsky's The House of the Dead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement