Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Albert Camus - The Outsider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Soups - Eileen O'Driscoll :confused:
    The Man Who Knew Too Much - Alan Turing And The Invention Of The Computer - David Leavitt
    Just The One - The Wives And Times Of Jeffrey Bernard 1932-1997 - Graham Lord
    Fooled By Randomness - The Hidden Role Of Chance In Life And In The Markets - Nassim Nicholas Taleb
    Sire Lines Updated Edition - Abram S Hewitt

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

DEER HUNTING WITH JESUS -- JOE BAGEANT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Catch 22.

I was prompted to re-read it after someone started a thread about it on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Spike Milligan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates.

Half way through it and really enjoying it. I just found it there's a film adaption of it with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet coming out shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 skybluejay

When You are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris - really not as good as any of his previous stuff; he's become almost dull.

Also Laurie Lee's I Can't Stay Long, which is quite delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

Hi all,

I bought a cheap book lately, the day the world sat still, I thought it was a novel but its actually written by a religious nut whos convinced the world sat still on the 3rd of april, 1924, do not buy, rubbish

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Starting

Frankenstein, volume 1 by Dean Koontz and Kevin Anderson.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

Hi all,

I bought a cheap book lately, the day the world sat still, I thought it was a novel but its actually written by a religious nut whos convinced the world sat still on the 3rd of april, 1924, do not buy, rubbish

If it's the same book - a Polish guy wrote it in the early seventies - it's not meant to be taken so literally - from memory it's based around an aristocratic southern Polish family who herd bison on a large holding between Krakow and the Slovakian border - Sure it's meant to be a yearning for a more iyllic lifestyle, set as it is between the two world wars - could be wrong but have another glance through it, you may be pleasently surprised...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

currently reading Iain M Banks: Consider Phlebas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Just finished The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morten, awaiting inspiration on what book to start now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 john77

Just finished reading Zugzwang by Ronan Bennett, staying in the same part of the world with J.M. Coetzee's The Master of Petersburg.

theCzar wrote: »
    currently reading Iain M Banks: Consider Phlebas

and now reading Player of Games, which is more coherent and more enjoyable IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 billypilgrim

Finished Bleeding Heart Square - nice historical crime novel

Just started Watchmen.

Still have to finish Deer Hunting with Jesus - his style is a little hard to take at times but i will finish it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

I's going through The Reality Dysfunction again. Much better the second time around, like all of Hamilton's work. Except The Dreaming Void, which was meh.

Recently finished Brisingr, the second sequel to Eragon. Possibly the worst book I've ever read, but maybe that's just because in the four years since Eragon, I've grown out of High Fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I are reading and nearly finished The Secret Life of Salvador Dali, by Dali himself. Really interesting and weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm almost finished "The Whisperers: Private life in Stalins Russia" by Orlando Figes. It's really excellent and tells the stories of ordinary people living under a dictatorship. Not your average history book!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Re-reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas after a good few years.... a truly gritty masterpiece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

About half way through 'The Book Thief'. Considering the last 6 (count 'em) novels I read were trashy murder/crime novels (both Connellys, a couple of Cobens), this was a huge jump. I nearly put it down a couple of times near the start, but I've persevered and can see why people enjoy it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Rant by Chuck Palahniuk. Brilliant book. Everybody's has their own memories of him and give their opinions on Rant Casey. Really enjoying this very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

The Tea House on Mulberry Street by Sharon Owens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

Finsihed Carrie by Stephen King on Wednesday, and I'm about halfway through Stardust by Neil Gaiman. =]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

The boy in the striped pyjamas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

corblimey wrote: »
    About half way through 'The Book Thief'. Considering the last 6 (count 'em) novels I read were trashy murder/crime novels (both Connellys, a couple of Cobens), this was a huge jump. I nearly put it down a couple of times near the start, but I've persevered and can see why people enjoy it so much.

I loved that book. Found it hard not to!

Have started reading Tim Butcher's book about the Congo. What a mess (not the book).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Ian C

"Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. So far so good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

readin a fraction of the whole by steve toltz. so far so good but not necessarily un-put-downable

• Advertisement

Song of Susanah by Stephen King, 6 down, 1 to go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement