Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Get a few books for xmas.

Finished Adventures of Tom Sawyer yesterday, Around the world in 80 days today and starting Kidnapped tomorrow. Then Ill start into some of the longer and heavier ones I have, like Crime and Punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Finished Night Watch, reading Day Watch and avoiding all sight and sound of the movies
    A great series, I really enjoyed them and your right - avoid the movies at all cost..

The first one is a low budget russian movie [in the grand scheme of things], and terrible is not the world.

The second one had a bigger budget, and made more money in russia that any movie in history, and is a bit better, but its still crap IMHO and still makes ****e of the story :)

3rd one in production now, with Hollywood help I understand. But I wont be going to watch that either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I'm about a third through both The Grapes of Wrath and Regeneration.

Has anyone any thoughts on Regeneration? I'm only reading it because of the subject matter but overall, is it a good book?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I've just started 'The Boys - A biography of Micheál MacLíammóir and Hilton Edwards' by Christopher Fitz-Simon. Excellent so far.

Lined up next:

Nell by Nell McCafferty
    The Leavetaking by John McGahern
    That they may face the Rising Sun by John McGahern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

"the big fat g spot" by Virginia spots
    its a very compiling read for avid horticulturists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

Just finished the Great Gatsby (was a bit underwhelmed to be honest)
    Moving on to Fight Club and the Virgin Suicides.
    An odd bit of non-fiction called Freakonomics too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Most recent book finished was The World According to Garp, a very enjoyable read, highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

An odd bit of non-fiction called Freakonomics too.

Freakonomics is a good read, interesting stats.

Haven't been able to really get back in to Broken River for a bit, it has a bad effect on me, so leaving it for now.

Reading Passchendaelle, about the soldiers who fought there during the First World War.

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Travels with Herodotus by Ryszard Kapuscinski.

I have a new year's resolution called "buy and read a new book" every week.

I used to read a lot of non-fiction and travel stuff. Now I feel sort of lost because I haven't spent enough time in book shops lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 orangecake

The Accidental - Ali Smith

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

pugwall wrote: »
    I've just started 'The Boys - A biography of Micheál MacLíammóir and Hilton Edwards' by Christopher Fitz-Simon. Excellent so far.

Lined up next:

Nell by Nell McCafferty
    The Leavetaking by John McGahern
    That they may face the Rising Sun by John McGahern
    I'll be interested in your thoughts on the two McGahern books as I recently read one and will probably finish the other today.
    I also finally got through John Banville's Doctor Copernicus and will probably read the Butcher Boy next although there is the small matter of When Giants Walked The Earth by Mick Wall to read as well.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

A great series, I really enjoyed them and your right - avoid the movies at all cost..

The first one is a low budget russian movie [in the grand scheme of things], and terrible is not the world.

The second one had a bigger budget, and made more money in russia that any movie in history, and is a bit better, but its still crap IMHO and still makes ****e of the story :)

3rd one in production now, with Hollywood help I understand. But I wont be going to watch that either :)

Any whiff of the last book in the series being translated/released here soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Any whiff of the last book in the series being translated/released here soon?
    Its on amazon.co.uk

I have not read it yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Hermy wrote: »
    I'll be interested in your thoughts on the two McGahern books as I recently read one and will probably finish the other today.
    I also finally got through John Banville's Doctor Copernicus and will probably read the Butcher Boy next although there is the small matter of When Giants Walked The Earth by Mick Wall to read as well.

I read 'the dark' a few weeks back and really enjoyed it. Hopefully the above mentioned are just as enjoyable!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

McGahern is quickly becoming one of my very favourite authors and I've no doubt you will enjoy both The Leavetaking and That They May Face The Rising Sun.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Narrow dog to Carcassonne. travel book about navigating the inland waterways of Britain and France, witty and erudite.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

"Foolish Mortals" by Jennifer Johnson.

An interesting read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Blue-Eyed

I don't know how to translate it..but it's something like

"The female Wolf and the Girl" :D

It was originally in French and I'm reading it in Estonian. I don't think this is in English.

-Blue- :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭robo

"Blindsighted" - Karin Slaughter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Anathem by Neal Stephenson , had really enjoyed his Baroque cycle series and cyrptonomicon, high hopes for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

A Star called Henry by Roddy Doyle .....really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 john77

The Damned Utd by David Peace... great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 mickedm

what I Talk about when I talk about running - Murakami
    so far not as good as his fiction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Finished 'The Way Of The Shadows' - Brent Weeks

Book1 of the Night Angel Trilogy.

Book2 tonight I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

On Chesil Beach - Ian McEwan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

The Wasp Factory. Far more disturbing than I thought it would be. It's creeping me out quite a bit. Especially when
    he talks about pissing all over the Poles that have dead animal heads on them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm on the Best of Myles at the mo. It can be pretty hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole and The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement