Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

I've just started Border Crossing by Pat Barker, and I'm also re-reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. I love that book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Messy Missy

I'm currently alternating between "The Gifts of the Jews" by Thomas Cahill and "The Autograph Man" by Zadie Smith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Messy Missy

monellia wrote: »
    I've just started Border Crossing by Pat Barker, and I'm also re-reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. I love that book.

I love Gabriel García Márquez. Both "Leaf Storm" and "The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor" were required reading material back in high school. At first I thought they were complete crap but then I couldn't put them down. Ahhhh, the ignorance of youth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 orangecake

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

the time travellers wife. audrey neffenegger

Its a nice read..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Just finished the Hyperion omnibus by Dan Simmons. Good read.
    His novel The Terror was probably the most enjoyable thing I read last year.

Onto The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JStand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭tangerinepuppet

This week I are re-reading Down by the River and In the Forest by Edna O'Brien. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Currently Your Cheatin' Heart, Annie McCartney. Not bad, definitely better than the cover led me to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Just finished the Hyperion omnibus by Dan Simmons. Good read.
    His novel The Terror was probably the most enjoyable thing I read last year.

I liked The Terror too, great book.

Rereading Cat's Eye by Magarete Atwood. Giving an interesting view into the world of girls.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

Just started Walden by Thoreau, interesting so far

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Once i'm finished with my exams, i'm gonna get back to completing The House of Leaves.
    Which would be sometime next week...
    That book is beyond amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

The Stand, Stephen King. First time, got it for Christmas after so many people hereabouts raved about it, I'm about 2/3s through it, terrific stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Just about to finish Cats Cradle by Vonnegut. Good, but Slaughter House 5 is a much superior work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Knight of Knives - Ian Cameron Esselmont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 john77

Tour de Force by daniel Coyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭finalfantasist

This week I am mostly reading:

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (I have read the other books in this series, but I didn't find this book in the shop until a couple of days ago)

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (first book in a series, second book comes out earlyish this year I think)

Shadows Edge by Brett Weeks (second book in a series of 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Devil Bones - Kathy Reichs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Thnx4theGum

The December Boys by Michael Noonan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Rereading Cat's Eye by Magarete Atwood. Giving an interesting view into the world of girls.:pac:

If you haven't read it, and you like Cat's Eye, try The Robber Bride. It's similar and very enjoyable.

Currently reading The Zahir - Paulo Coelho. I really like his writing style, simple and effective.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Soul music - pratchett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

The Appeal by John Grisham and The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat by Oliver Sacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Redemption Falls by Joseph O'Connor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 orangecake

Just starting The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Was very sad to finish the excellent Alias Grace...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Reading Black Mass by Dick Lehr and Gerard O'Neill. A true story of the alliance between the Boston FBI and criminal James "Whitey" Bulger. Compelling story of crime and corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

Just finished The Road by McCarthy, creepy stuff. Moving on to The Time Traveler's Wife which has been great so far, nice contrast between those 2 books haha. Hoping to move on to Fahrenheit 451 soon enough, continuing my obsession with dystopia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Just finished Jesse Kellerman's Brutal Art. He's the son of John and Faye Kellerman and, to be honest, while the story is actually a good one, there is a feeling of laziness to it. The ending in particular is unbelievably lazy and a real let down.

Now, where's my Mitch Albom...

Return of the Crimson Guard - Esslemont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Thnx4theGum

The Missing - Thomas Eidson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Ian C

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement