Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Just finished a freebie of The Old Man And The Sea by Ernest Hemingway, and I'm about to start Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭chenguin

Just finished Cathcher in the rye.
    Not sure what to read next either crime and punishment or the new Paulo Coelho book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Just finished Henry IV part one so I started on part II this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Summer guilty pleasure reading is Agent of Evolution, a Bill Hicks bio I got as a present ages ago. Started Days of Reading today as well, another present.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The Poe Shadow - Matthew Pearl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭niffle

reading Blindness good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Burmese Days - George Orwell. Like it, good athmosphere.
    John wrote:
    Henry James The Turn of the Screw and Other Stories
    What do you think of it? I was looking at it the other day and thinking about reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

The Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold.
    Really love it. Fantastic characters & original idea. Can be a bit unsettling but I think that's what I like about it.

Going to try Revolutionary Road next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Milky Joe

finished catch 22 good read. Now for something completely different... A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

"Love in a Cold Climate" - Nancy Mitford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Reading In Cold Blood right now, truly exceptional.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

About half way into Babitt by Sinclair Lewis. A great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Anna Karenina, about 390 pages in out of 811.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Ian C

Just finished "Deadhouse Gates" by Steven Erikson, and just starting "Musicophilia" by Oliver Sacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I'am a big fantasy fan and this is my first book by Mr williams.
    Finding it tough going ,but determinted to finish it.Like some of the characters and dislike others,hopefully it will rally at the end.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!......already bought part 2 in a sale for €3 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Ok, finished The Lovely Bones... loved it

Now reading... Revolutionary Road... good so far. The guy who wrote it (Richard Yates) used to write Robert Kennedy's speeches in the 60's. Book's not about that for those who've not read it. They made it into a film recently (Leonardo DiCaprio & Kate Winslet) but I'm not going to watch that til finish the book.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I'm reading 'The Book Thief' and am thoroughly enjoying it. It's a very interesting, and fascinating story and the way it is narrated is just superb! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

The Beach by Alex Garland, great for this time of year. Looking forward to watching the movie once I'm finished, I hear its quite good despite my suspicions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

re-re-re-reading Shogun by James Clavell in anticipation of a jaunt out east later this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 paoloiaquinta

just read "paddy clarke" - excellent. also just read "boys in the river" - again, excellent - both books well worth the read - both books shortish too so it won't take you weeks to get through.
    next up is "the appeal" - john grisham.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭chenguin

Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson
    Very good book. Finding out everything I want to know about Einstein

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Just started reading The Lord of the Flies, so far so good!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Theft - Peter Carey

Actually not bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Theft - Peter Carey

Actually not bad!

I read a lot of his earlier stuff and always found that it was hard-going at the start but worth it. Oscar and Lucinda is a classic, once you get into it.

Just finished Bad Science by Ben Goldacre, based on his Guardian column. Recommended reading for those who have their doubts about Alternative Medicine and homeopathy etc.

Have returned to Rick Moody's The Diviners - he wrote The Ice Storm so I had high hopes for this, but it is patchy and annoying in places. Still, exhilarating in patches too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Just finished The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemmingway today and finished The Great Gatsby last week, another 2 classics down, 100's more to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 rickman

paolo...the roddy doyle one is good - "paddy clarke"enjoyed mccluskey's "boys in the river" one too.also i can recommend "the salesman" by joseph o'connor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Just finished 'All Names Have Been Changed' by Claire Kilroy, and am currently reading 'Glover's Mistake' by Nick Laird. Would thoroughly recommend both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

Re-reading the Dudley Smith trio by James Ellroy (The Big Nowhere, LA Confidential and White Jazz), very good books with very complex stories and characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

Just finished Newton and the Counterfeiter by Thomas Levenson

On The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery - seriously loving it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

Just finished The Luminous Life Of Lily Aphrodite by Beatrice Colin. It's totally not the type of book I'd usually read but it was cute, the author did great research and created a very nice picture of Germany around WW1.

I'm re-reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone now...just for the lulz:D

I intend to start Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas after. Yay for summer!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement