Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Terrestrial TV is turned off.....

Options
  • 01-11-2004 6:32pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

....can the spectrum be used for Wireless broadband? This would be true Non LOS access and a doddle to implement or am I missing something? Would available bandwidth be too low?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yeah there used to be some old 1Mbs system on 900MHz or something
    UHF goes up to 960MHz IIRC
    have a look on the comreg site something about it - they want to SELL off the bandwidth not give it so someone so they can avoid paying part of a cartel.

don't get excited - it will all be licenced to the highest bidder / beauty contest.

RTE were looking at a system where by you use your TV antenna, bit like teletext but it did not get far..

Anyway - it will be a long time before they can go DTT - cos if you don't have NTL / SKY / MMDS already then you are unlikely to stump up cash to buy a box that can't recieve BBC etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Ah digital broadcasting, my pet subject.

In 1999 RTE had a pilot project for DAB. That was the last I heard of it.

At the moment it looks as if Ireland will not be turning off the analogue signal for at least 15 years.

The UK are turning off in 2012 I think, but Ireland is a long, long way behind with virtually no permanent DAB boradcasting happening.

In any case at the moment the digital agenda is being set by Sky, NTL and Chorus with their commercial (and expensive) offerings.

So I think this is unlikely for the immediate future.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Anyone remember It's TV? It was the company that was to start DTT in Ireland but it fell through. They had planned to offer wireless broadband via TV aerial, though it never happened. I'd worry about contention ratios though for such a method, though I guess there's ways around this?

Advertisement