Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

time scale for presidential elections

Options
  • 01-11-2004 7:09pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know (generally) what times things will start happening in the US elections?
    I know polling begins tomorrow, but around what time (GMT) will the first ballots close and how long after that will we get a result from that state?

I don't want to stay up all night tuesday if the results won't come in until wednsday evening.

Also when (complications overlooked) should we expect the last few states to come in?

flogen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

polling started a week ago.

When it ends depends on if there is a clear majority or not.

Its like waiting for bad news. You can get all worked up about it, or just relax until the news comes. Which is what I am doing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I know polling started weeks ago, but that's not in all states. I'm more concerned with when they close!

And It wouldnt be crazy to assume that this is going to go right down to the line, so the last few polls are likely to call it.

(my election wish, besides a Kerry win is for The majority of Texans to get lazy and think a republican victory in the state is the only plausable result, enough so that the state goes Dem in the end... oh what a sweet little dream that would be... especially if that was the deciding state. A man can dream)

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

flogen wrote:
    Does anyone know (generally) what times things will start happening in the US elections?
    I know polling begins tomorrow, but around what time (GMT) will the first ballots close and how long after that will we get a result from that state?

I don't want to stay up all night tuesday if the results won't come in until wednsday evening.

Also when (complications overlooked) should we expect the last few states to come in?

flogen

Polling opens in New York state at 6am Eastern/11am Irish Time and closes at 9pm ET/2am (Wednesday, Nov. 3) Irish Time. In Texas polls are open from 7am to 7pm Central time (-6 GMT).

I don't think you want the hours for polling in Hawaii!

There are usually good indications of national results around Midnight Eastern Time.

I recommend an aspirin and a glass of water before bed with your favorite teddy bear. Relax until the news arrives, like Hobbes. Plenty of time to freak out later, if necessary. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The states that use the Diebold electronic voting should return a clear Bush victory very soon after the polls close. Oh I'm sorry I meant should return the winner soon after closing. Minor mistake there, it must be old age :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Man, all this talk of result times reminds me of 2000, when I went to bed as soon as Florida was 'confirmed' as Gore's - presuming that Gore would get the Presidency. I thought I had imagined the whole thing when I woke up to 'BUSH WINS!'.

So I shan't be watching around the clock tonight. I'll get up at 4am - and see what happens from there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement