Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opinions on this performance please...

Options
  • 01-11-2004 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

whats up lads
    just wondering for those of you that go to see live gigs what your opinion would be of a singer performing songs alone on stage. ie. with an instrumental backing track. do you think its plain sad or do you think it could work. songs are rock originals.
    just trying to decide on my options, any help is appreciated...!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Sonic Titan

I don't see why it shouldn't work if the songs are strong enough and of course if your voice is strong enough.
    Any comparisons that you can think of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Nah, backing tapes are just plain wrong, especially in rock songs. Just can't see it working. Rock music isn't about dancers and costume changes, which draws the listeners attention from the lack of live performance in lesser forms of music. I think that rock music afficionados are generally quite knowledgeable about what they're listening to, and it matters that the folks onstage can walk the walk. Can't see it being something I'd stay to the end of, m'self...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Rock music can't be performed like pop music. It doesn't work. Don't try it. Please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I really don't mean to be harsh here, but I'd imagine that a lot of people would view that as nothing more than Karaoke.

A lot of people who are interested in rock would praise musicianship and hold it in very high reguard, so singing with just a backing track wouldn't tickle their fancy and could possibly remind them of Pop Idol preformances.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jetlagged

you see putting a band together has proved too painful an experience in the past. what if i was to play one or two with guitar alone.
    the thing about having this is i'd be able to tour on my own.
    the plan was to sing the songs live and that way hopefully recruit members who were into it.
    i think costumes are cool by the way doctor j!!obviously combined with a good performance...
    nice one on the speedy responses!thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Sonic Titan

I saw an Australian guy who supported Porcupine Tree who played a guitar to a backing track and he rocked as hard as a lot of other bands i've seen.
    If the audience knows it's a backing track and isn't been fooled into thinking that it's not a backing track then i don't see what the problem is. Sure, WASP used a backing track when they played here a while ago and i didn't hear anyone complain about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I think Rock music is different in that, as I said, the audience are generally well informed and appreciate all aspects of musicianship, not just vocals. I have no problem with backing tracks where a band plays over them and the band provides the vasy majority of the music, a la White Zombie. But as Karl said, Karaoke just ain't very Rock N' Roll. Are you going to dance during the guitar solos and instrumental sections? I think the tide has finally turned on miming and non-performance, just check out the reaction to Ashlee Simpson on SNL. People want to see a band pull off live what they heard on the record.

Go for it man, if that's what you want to do and I wish you the very best with it, but I don't think I'll be queueing up in the rain to see that gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I saw an Australian guy who supported Porcupine Tree who played a guitar to a backing track and he rocked as hard as a lot of other bands i've seen.

You've got to be kidding me! That guy was absolutely pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Well, if youre starting out doing originals, then I definitely wouldnt go see you, no offence. But, if youre doing it as an extra income, i.e. playing 21sts, private functions etc, playing well known covers, well then I'd have no problem, but then again, I wouldn't run to watch anyone.

The other night, I was in a pub with a 21st on, and there was a guy alone on stage playing a strat with a backing tape, and all he did was strum the songs, and let the pre-programmed thing (whaddya call it?) do everything else. He just seemed like someone who could sing karaoke and held a guitar so he wouldn't look like a twat while not singing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Well it worked for Beck, The Beastie Boys, The Prodigy, Public Enemy and the Young Gods amongst others. Anything goes tbh. Look at the superstar dj bollocks. Hordes of people paying through the nose to watch some old ugly bloke play other people's records or sit at a computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jetlagged

Thanks for your thoughts lads. Thats the end of that!!

Advertisement