Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backup Method for XP

• 01-11-2004 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I'm looking for a backup method for my home XP system. I currently have a 200GB & a 100GB in there, but will be upgrading the 100 to 200 shortly with possibly another 200 (so that's 3 x 200GB in total).

I need to be able to back it all up on a fairly regular basis, what's my best option ? If I was to go for an external (possibly fire-wire) hard drive case, would that be suitable or am I better off looking for something like a NAS ?

The system is mainly used for video editing that's why there's so much HDD space in there.

Also does anyone know the compression rate offered by the built in XP backup software ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

dont know if you are interested in the software end of it but i use stomp backup mypc and it's great - much better than the built in windows one - i have 125g and i back up onto dvds - it took only 7 dvd's and took about 3 hours to do a full backup and verify ( that is a disaster recovery set which is supposed to restore the pc exactly - tho i'm not sure of the difference between this and a drive image ) -- the way i work it i do a DRS a few times a year and more individual backups depending on what i need to backup at the time - i never bother with differential or incremental as it's hassle but i know it can save time - i always do a full while im at it

btw - you might be interested to know that the lidl shops were recently selling an externtal 250g drive for 199 - i think the deal just ended but maybe not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks for that info bobmurphy. I was looking at komplett & ebay last night & the cases aren't too expensive, although I do like the sound of the lidl one, just my luck that they're out.

You don't happen to know the compression rate do you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

sorry not too well up on compression rates - my stuff is music and it usually doesnt take up so much space that i'd be interested

Advertisement