Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Gta:sa Warning

Options
  • 02-11-2004 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭

be careful with your discs. for some reason the discs the game is on are a lot more sensitive than other game discs it seems. ive heard about 7 or 8 people sayin the discs got damaged from the playstation just spinnin it inside. sony seem to have copped on cause one of my mates' ps2 dropped literally about 3 inches and he took the disc out and it was literally scratched in big patches, and he rang up sony and they are sendin out a new copy of the game cause there have been a few of these cases.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

I expected to see another Cherry Popper-esque warning when I clicked this thread. I just picked up SA today so I'll make sure to keep it in bubble wrap every time I take it out of the machine... I might as well ask here, are there any cherry popper style bugs in the game? After losing all my saved progress in Vice City due to that damned bug I really don't want to get caught out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

I expected to see another Cherry Popper-esque warning when I clicked this thread. .
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

My face exactly. D'ya mean show stoppers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I'll pop your cherry and no mistake.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

i'll bet

• Advertisement

Nice to see that they haven't learnt from past save corruption problems, it still auto-loads your newest save and if that corrupts at some point I presume you're ****ed(?) Tread carefully people!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

ah well sure its such a good game would it really be so be bad if you had to start again? the first quarter of the game has been the best so far

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

nesthead wrote:
    ah well sure its such a good game would it really be so be bad if you had to start again? the first quarter of the game has been the best so far

How far are you nesthead ?

Tusky wrote:
    How far are you nesthead ?

Lalalala I don't want to hear the answer. I've spent months avoiding spoilers on San Andreas, this is the only GTA thread I feel I can take refuge in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I've literally just started getting this error message too. Who'd your friend ring to get a replacement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

said his oul lad rang sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

I just picked up SA today so I'll make sure to keep it in bubble wrap every time I take it out of the machine..

You're going to take it out of the machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

evad_lhorg wrote:
    ive heard about 7 or 8 people sayin the discs got damaged from the playstation just spinnin it inside.

Was it

a) laying down flat.
    b) in the stand.

If "b", it happens with alopt of games.

Mine was laying down flat. Going to bring it back to virgin tomorrow see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

Just happened to me.

Was finished Las Venturas, on 80% and travelling to LS, got the disc read error.

Open cd tray, there is now slight scratches all along the outside of the disc.

Tried loading various saves/restarting, get the error all the time.

Bringing it back to GAME and not accepting any ****e from them.

(my PS2 was flat)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

why is this? why would the game cause more scratching?

I was thinking it might be where the lens is located wrt to the centre of the disk for the majority of the play.

its either that or people are on the mission i'm stuck on at the moment. PS2 tends to undergo some "movement" after attempt number 12. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

I had a simlilar experience to a lot of you guys with a happy result!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2042113&postcount=106

Ave wrote:
    Just happened to me.

Was finished Las Venturas, on 80% and travelling to LS, got the disc read error.

Open cd tray, there is now slight scratches all along the outside of the disc.

Tried loading various saves/restarting, get the error all the time.

Bringing it back to GAME and not accepting any ****e from them.

(my PS2 was flat)

I have a scratch on the outside of the disc too, perfectly rounded to the edge of the disc itself. About to leave to go to virgin. Any crap from them will result in a severe beating of ALL sales representatives in the store and subsequently all security guards in liffey valley. I'll then make a fast get away in a police car to a pay and spray .... oh wait, who said games dont get to ya? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

quarryman wrote:
    why is this? why would the game cause more scratching?

I was thinking it might be where the lens is located wrt to the centre of the disk for the majority of the play.

its either that or people are on the mission i'm stuck on at the moment. PS2 tends to undergo some "movement" after attempt number 12. :(
    The PS2 drive spins like crazy when playing SA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The game is constanly streaming so is constantly being spun and read by the dvd drive. Also the DVD is almost completely full so data goes all the way to the edges of the DVD. Scratchs on the outside edge of the disc would not have affected other games because they don't take up a full disc.

• Advertisement

You're going to take it out of the machine?

Playing it on my tv here isn't nearly as good as playing it on the big tv downstairs. I tend to move my ps2 downstairs during the day so I can enjoy it as it was meant to be played. I always take my disks out when I'm moving the ps2...just in case.

Advertisement