Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations...

Options
  • 21-07-1999 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Well, when last I posted (quite a while ago) I was just finishing PLayer of Games by Iain Banks. It rocked most mightily.

Since then I have read 'Use of Weapons' by Mr. Banks again, and again it didst be deadly. I highly recommend it.

Also, and there'll be a few who disagree, Gemmell's 'Sword in the Storm' is quite a good read. Not his usual , drop-off-a-cliff-after-300-pages-I'm-wrapping-up-in-2 ending. Perhaps because it is the start of a series (a trilogy I think). Hopefully he'll do something right and not screw up the ending of the last book. But, Sword in the Storm is enjoyable.

At the mo' I'm reading 'Inversions' by, yep, Iain Banks. It is excellent. OK, I am seeing repetition in the story arcs of the different books, but the method of story telling is brilliant. Always seems to change perspective from book to book, the characters are believable (even Contact and Culture start to make sense). For a not really sci-fi novel fan I have to say I'm well impressed.

roll on payday, more books in the shop....

smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Ah yes and Consider Phlebas by IMB is quite good too.

J.
    --
    Currently reading Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star" and Robert -Sexist- Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Fine books indeed. Mr Banks certainly knows his stuff.

Mind you I've only read the three you mentioned there smile.gif Player of games was my favorite.

Just near the end of "The Diamond age" by Neal Stephenson. Not finished yet, but recommend it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Well,

those deprived of the flesh are most easily swayed by even the most mediocre temptations....

tongue.gif

Preacher LoLth: 'Suffer little children. Suffer!'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Jaysus if it's got tits on it I'm in love till the next morning, normally under the influence.

M

Preach on Brother LoLth ! smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

just finished reading a good book you sex starved maniacs would like

its called flesh desired by mr annonymous smile.gif
    its deadly wink.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I'm nearly finished Sword in the Storm and it is quite good.

A general comment though on Gemmels is that most of his characters seem to fall in love eithin seconds of meeting someone. A tad unrealistic methinks...

Draco

Happens to me all the time cheeky.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Consider Phlebas, what a 5 course and tasty wine of a novel that was...

The man can do no wrong. except for Against a dark background. Which was 'disapointing'.

Getting off the Sci-fi thang, I'm reading a pretty cool one, the name of which I can't remember, which is about a guy who discovered a rather gold laden wreck off the east coast of the US. Historically accurate and full of deep sea facts and figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

sick but really good book - Marabou stork nightmares by irvine welsh
    mad ending too
    must get some banks stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Just finished the Fall of Hyperion by DAN SIMMONS (for Muso's benefit smile.gif )and it rocked. It was amazing, i order you all to go out and buy it now. Well, buy Hyperion first then Fall Of anyways.

Went looking in Dublin today and couldnae find Endymion anywhere sad.gif the next in the series like. Anyway all go and buy Hyperion - I have spoken.

Advertisement