Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding fine

Options
  • 02-11-2004 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know, if you have a speeding ticket and it says if you weren't driving the car at the time and you place a persons name in it that has a UK liscence, does the fine just get paid and the penalty points get dropped?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭dark_knight_ire

You could do it that way if you wanted to be sneaky, But it has to be on a camera (i'm guessing it was where you were not stopped only got it in the post) Someone with a Uk DL would not get the points. However word of warning, What if your insurance policy is checked on the garda system (oh yes that can be done) and then the company is contacted about a non insured driver driving your vehicle.

Just be careful is all im saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

good point. would 2 penalty points affect the cost of insurance much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Any points will affect your premium. Ask for a copy of the photo which you are entitled too. This photo should clearly show the driver. If a photo can't be produced you have nothing to worry about as it can't be enforced. If a photo is produced clearly showing the driver, then just pay up and be more careful next time. Harsh lesson really, sorry about that.

• Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭dark_knight_ire

Depending on age and if your have a full or provisional D/L it might, but i dont think its bad i think what happeneds is when you get 2 points your insurance holds static (won't go down) but i would not like to have 4 points ouch lol that would be sore. Be think to do is ring up a company and give a false name, just tell them your age and a fake address ( why fake??? they log all names on there systems you tell them anything and they have it forever) and just tell them you have to renew your cover and you have 2 points. Be interesting to find out what they say

hshortt wrote:
    Any points will affect your premium. Ask for a copy of the photo which you are entitled too. This photo should clearly show the driver. If a photo can't be produced you have nothing to worry about as it can't be enforced. If a photo is produced clearly showing the driver, then just pay up and be more careful next time. Harsh lesson really, sorry about that.

as dark knight said though... I'm not covered for another driver. Would they really check do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

you will be fine. It is possible that someone else can drive your car but not under your insurance policy (but on theirs!). Most comprehensive policies allow you to drive someone elses car (on TP only). Just say it was your friend from London!
    If you can swear that someone else was driving the car then the fine still applies (& must be paid by the registered owner) but the points cannot be applied as the garda have no facility or authority to endorse a non-Irish licence.

Excellent. This would apply for Northern drivers right?

The Story so far: My cousin from Belfast has a liscence that allows her to drive other cars *Including Irish?* , was down that week and borrowed the car.

If I request a photo to be sent out first, make sure they can't see me... then that should be ok?

KlodaX wrote:
    Excellent. This would apply for Northern drivers right?

The Story so far: My cousin from Belfast has a liscence that allows her to drive other cars *Including Irish?* , was down that week and borrowed the car.

If I request a photo to be sent out first, make sure they can't see me... then that should be ok?
    ...but how could it have been you? it was your cousin driving!

apparently the guards don't like giving out those photos... it involves too much paperwork.... I'm gonna hound them.

I'm seriously beginning to think this fine is avoidable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

hee hee, you should be careful what you post on this and any board, what's to say that I'm not a Garda and you've just implicated yourself! haha

Of course I'm not and I wouldn't like anyone to think that I'm impersonating a Garda, which is of course illegal, just like avoiding speeding fines, and internet piracy...

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

this brings us back to another thread - they have to as it is your right apparently as you should be afforded your full right to defend the claim made against you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

KlodaX wrote:
    ?
    Does their or your insurance cover extend also? No point in beating a speeding fine, to get done for allowing your car to be used unlawfully, ie no insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

AFAIK, if you say you were not driving the car at the time then by default the points are applied to the policy holder.

People driving company cars can get away using this excuse, or so I'm told.

V

Just on this note, I was talking to a chap in England last saturday who used to work in the police. He was telling me how they now use face recognition software to identify the driver.
    I wonder how long will it be before Michael McDowell approves this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

KlodaX wrote:
    good point. would 2 penalty points affect the cost of insurance much?

two points qualify you for a 10% discount with hibernian.

hshortt wrote:
    hee hee, you should be careful what you post on this and any board, what's to say that I'm not a Garda and you've just implicated yourself! haha

Of course I'm not and I wouldn't like anyone to think that I'm impersonating a Garda, which is of course illegal, just like avoiding speeding fines, and internet piracy...

:rolleyes:

so true ... and its not like KlodaX is a common name... I just stung myself!

Advertisement