Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Hosting?

Options
  • 02-11-2004 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I know this is the wrong forum, but given that the hosting forum seems to be shut down permanently for some reason, here goes:

Can anyone recommend a good, free, no-ads web hosting service available in Ireland? I'm looking at hosting a web-based music magazine.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted, thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

€ircon (www.eircom.net)
    IOL (www.iol.ie)
    etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Thanks, but I meant hosting for a registered .com domain, rather than a homepage.eircom.net/~picturesofmydog type hosting. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

you can use the free hosting plans as kbannon has shown above and then just purchase the domain and put in place a cloaked re-direction to your free web hosting account

aha. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Or you could have a look at freehost.ie or you could contact a hosting company and see if they wanted to sponsor your hosting in return for advertising....

"There's more than one way to skin a cat" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

blacknight wrote:

"There's more than one way to skin a cat" :D

completely off topic but really, what is it everyone has against our poor feline friends? we talk about skinning them, swinging them, butchering them multiple times before they die, dropping them from heights, feeding them dairy products regardless of whether or not they are lactose intolerant, dressing them in sleep wear that must be uncomfortable over that fur.

[/pondering]

apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

IEinternet seem to be offering free hosting at the moment might be worth a look, I have never used their service so have no idea if its good or not.

http://www.freehosting.ie/products/sohohosting.htm

Anyone know what freehost.ie is like from experience? And thanks for the offer Blacknight (at least I think it was an offer!), I'll get back to you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

I use freehost for a small site - www.amazinginteriors.net - blatant plug!

Have no problems with them - now using that a/c in the 2nd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

If you don't mind one (yes only one) Pop Up ad. Then Try www.t35.com.

What do you get for this one pop-up?

Free:
    Unlimited Bandwith
    Unlimited Webspace
    FTP
    And... oh, just read the site, will ya?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Leman_Russ wrote:

Unlimited Bandwith
    Unlimited Webspace

QUOTE]

No such thing!!!

Erm, Freehost.ie seems to want to charge me €35 to 'transfer' the domain to their site in order to receive 'free' hosting.

magpie wrote:
    Erm, Freehost.ie seems to want to charge me €35 to 'transfer' the domain to their site in order to receive 'free' hosting.

Of course. That's their business model.

Yes, and note its €35 + VAT = €42.35.

It's not totally free but a damn sight cheaper than others if you only want to put up a small site.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

I registered my domain with them and got 50mb of free hosting all for €42 including vat!! 4 e-mail's and loads of alias's. There are no pop ups or banners that I'm aware of. the only drawback I can make out is the transfer rate, its only 512mb per month. May keep graphic content to a minimum!! But what to hey, cheap as chips at that rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Sposs wrote:
    No such thing!!!

Look at the site and you'll see its true

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

How much space and bandwidth do you need?

Will you require support or can you manage the account yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Leman_Russ wrote:
    Look at the site and you'll see its true

No, its not. There is no such thing as an unlimited hard-drive or an unlimited internet connection. unlimited deals -always- have limits, usually in the small print of the terms and conditions. Unlimited space or traffic are myths, propagated by cowboys.

Oh dear. I might have to break with tradition and actually agree with steve-hosting36

Eeek!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Nooooooooooooooo! Don't do it Michele! The universe will anhiliate itself! :):)

Yeah I was afraid it might have some side-effects :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭mfitz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

One very important point to note about some of the free hosters. They may not charge for hosting, but in most cases they charge a fortune for the domains. For example if i wanted a .com free hosting package i'd have to pay approx 40 euro inc VAT or for a .ie free hosting package i'd have to pay 114.95 inc VAT.

not exactly free now are they? :)

You'd be better off using the url re-direction that some of the other provides supply and point it to eircom.net web space or similar.

My 2c.

Paul

Can someone tell me what the catch is with:

http://www.freehosting.ie/

It looks too good to be true!

It is:
    Details Of Your Order:
    Domain name: xxxxxxxxx.com
    To be registered for: 1 year
    Account type: SOHO Hosting

Total Price:
    €32 ( €38.72 including V.A.T.)

They don't use Irish based servers, so you'd be better off using freehost.ie who does.

How much space and bandwidth do you need?

Feck all of either. Just a static site with words/pictures
    Do you need support?

Nope, I'd be doing all the updates/changes myself. No problem there.

blacknight wrote:
    It is:
    Details Of Your Order:
    Domain name: xxxxxxxxx.com
    To be registered for: 1 year
    Account type: SOHO Hosting

Total Price:
    €32 ( €38.72 including V.A.T.)

They don't use Irish based servers, so you'd be better off using freehost.ie who does.

I ran through it with transferring an existing domain and it was €0. Got an option to print the form so I take it its not a live system and they contact you later.

I take your point about the Irish servers. I have 2 sites on Irish servers and still can't get them listed in google.ie :(

Edit: They are now listed :o and :D

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

Magpie, I can give you free hosting in return for some contribution to my forum. Sending you a PM now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

Hi All

I have been following this thread since it started and I haven’t posted on it in case the Mods thought I was trying to plug or advertise my site (which isn’t allowed on Boards.ie). However, I will make a few comments which may clear some things up, which have been raised in this post.

Domain Price

Yes, we are slightly more expensive (that’s the business model) and yes, of course you can get a domain name for 10 bucks elsewhere and forward it to your eircom free space. We are not trying to disguise the price in any way. In fact the price is clearly displayed on the home page and not hidden away at the back of the site. Also the very first sentence on the home page describes the site. “you get exactly what is says on the tin” (to paraphrase a paint ad)

Hosting

Many freewebs only allow you to post content in a file by file basis similar to the eircom net builder, others ask you to carry advertisements, some allow cgi others don’t. They all have some kind of catch.

With our hosting package we tried to do something different, by giving each client one of the most professional control panels on the market, 50 MB, PHP, CGI, Stats, POP, Spam Filter, FP extns, Webmail, Backup-Restore, FTP. These are tools you would need to create a reasonably interactive website, also if a client wants more, they can always upgrade to a Ketec account, hence there is no new learning curve with regard to control panels or access.

Contacting Clients

I have been asked on numerous occasions “if I take out a freehost account will I be plagued with requests to upgrade to a ketec account” the answer is no. The only time we mass email clients if the is maintenance or upgrade work going on which would effect uptime. As we do not release the names or sites of clients I cannot verify this with a link or reference, you’ll have to take my word on it.

To Summarise, we are not trying to hide anything or have any hidden agenda; the package is marketed as an ideal entry package to the world of web hosting. Also many seasoned well positioned companies use us to try a new product or idea on the market.
    With regard to a .ie costing 95 ex ( the IEDR RRP is more than that, and they have sold thousands directly)

And that’s it

Advertisement