Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow!

Options
  • 09-06-1999 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

This board is actually good for something!

I was stuck trying to decide what book to buy next, then I remembered someone mentioning that Player of Games was pretty good. So I gave it a go. I'm about 3/4 way through it (after one evening! too short!) and I have to say, it is excellent...

reckon Iain M Bainks is the new flavour of the month for me.. What people reckon about his other books? I was thinking of that 'something PHlebas' next...

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Gemmell's got a new one out.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭DeViant

LoL,
    ANYTHING by Banks is Kewl.
    Consider Phlebas is V.good.
    I have "The Excession" at home, Must read it.
    smile.gif
    "The Use of weapons" is another great one.
    I love his ideas and his writing style.
    You should try his Fiction,
    "The Crow Road" Very Good
    "The Wasp Factory" Shiver!!
    "Complicity" _EXCELLENT_
    "The Bridge" Amazing, still dont understand it, but amazing
    He is a definite MUST read

Baz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Bought the thomas harris book
    was very good(ish) for about 300 pages and then the last 5 chapters when very quickly downhill
    steer clear
    there is also the new
    thomas harris book...
    hannibal
    meant to be good

"Programming today is a race between software engineers
    striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof
    programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger
    and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

[This message has been edited by MiCr0 (edited 09-08-99).]

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I just finished the Wasp Factory...really really strange...definitly one I would recomend.

Draco

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Hey Karl!

Can I borrow the Wasp Factory this weekend?

I'm just finishing up the Magician rewrite. Absolutely excellent. I believe an ad for a film before was 'The Best just got Better'. The rewrite was definitely worth it. Only prob is.. now I think he should rewrite the rest. Too many gaps and tidy little wrap ups for my liking.

J.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

There's a Banks book i think its something to do with a palace of glass thats supposed to be really freaky a hence good.
    And that bloke who wrote Naked Lunch William
    Burroughs hes ****ed up all together
    my m8s reading a book ,i think its called God Knows read the few pages and its fookin weird ill try and see who wrote it.
    oh and i just read Fear and loathing in Las Vegas and wow that rules.It's small enough ye'd read it in a day but wow Hunter s Thomson rules can't wait to buy some more of his stuff.
    I heard Burroghs who wrote naked lunch and others writes the book in a certain way and then cuts it all up and reassembles it so it'd be a pretty weird read id say.
    smile.gifwink.gif=)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Graysonn

Have you read Maribu stork murders yet. By Irvine Welsh. The guy who wrote Trainspotting. I borrowed it of Earthworm Jim. Amazing book
    Twisted

funny u say that my m8(jesus there's alwasy someone i know isn't there)loves welsh and read it on holidays oh fuc haveta leave back a liberary book,and he said it was deadly as all welshs books are.
    I think its cool the way they're all written in scottish all the "uns" and "achs" etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Graysonn

Try reading Robbie Burns some times.
    There are still whole passages of his that I'll never have a chance of understanding.
    Scot's hae we a gra a gra.
    I think that's right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Radovar

Cheez, get The Great Shark Hunt Vol.1. It's so good. About 50 of his articles from magazines and whatever. Some of them ****ing hilarious.

• Advertisement

read that marabou stork book graysom
    and woo what an ending.gets ya thinkin
    alot - a trifle sick i might add sunglasses.gif
    great shark hunt eh interbreasting!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I just finished the Rift War trilogy (Magician, Silverthorn and Sethanon). Wow... sunglasses.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    homepage.tinet.ie/~davitt

Advertisement