Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confectionary Conspiracy!!!??

• 02-11-2004 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

What's going on with sweet wrappers??!!
    I'm not normally such a trivial person... but owing to a very boring job and lack of distractions this topic has me driven demented these past 2 days.

Last night... while trying to relax after a very non-eventful day, (I really couldn't get more relaxed tbh), I forraged in the kitchen and discovered 3 Chuppa Chupp lollipops! Gift from God! Mana or should I say Chuppa from Heaven! But OH NO! My day was about to get complicated...

These sugary delights on a stick are encased in 2 layers of plastic and this wrapper is twisted and it seems practically melted into the stick. Therefore it is nigh on impossible to get the wrapper off in one piece... In fact it's virtually impossible to peal the bloody fecker off at all. I suppose you could say the wrapper was sort of "shrink wrapped" around the sweetie because I couldn't even bite a stray corner from it to get a start on the unwrapping procedure at hand. Needless to say there was much frustration and annoyance and many toys thrown out of the pram last night! :o
    The Lollies were thrown at the wall in extreme frustration but, eventually, I got the wrappers off them ;) NYOM!

Now, this afternoon, I am in a similar quandry. I have in my greedy little mit, a packet of the new flavoured "Exotic Skittles". Do you think I can get the fecking packet open??!! OH NO! Things can NEVER be easy for lil ole me! :(

I'm sitting here pulling at the sides of the intensely annoying orangey coloured bag. I'm trying to tear a corner from the pack to liberate my sweeties... that isn't working either.
    I am successfully changing the shape of the rectangular pack to some form of warped blobby object.
    I suppose I could use a scissors to snip the end from the bag... but that would mean effort in searching for one here in this extremely disorganised and ill-equipped office, (I'd actually have better luck finding a needle in a hay-stack) :p

Anyway... to put an end to my insensible ranting session...
    What the hell is going on with sweet wrappers these days??!! I had some people agreeing with me last night about the difficulties with the Chuppa Chupps... It's just not on! Someone must do something!!!
    Is it a conspiracy by the Dental Association to stop our tubby obese youth eating unhealty food? Are they in league with the Fast Food Nazis??!! :eek:
    They'll be putting combination locks on cans of Coca Cola next! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Well it's either that or regulate against them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

Ok, I finally got the packet open. When I say open, I really mean it split down the middle and I was showered in a cloud of skittles! :eek:
    They are everywhere! All over my desk, in my letter tray, down the back of my neck, in my paper clips, under my keyboard, stuck in the files... Not only that, there was a crowd of people in the office who witnessed all this.
    Man, the colour of my face right now takes on a new definition of the colour red!! :( I am sooooo not amused! :o
    Oh, and after all that effort, the sweets taste mank anyway :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Should have used a paper clip to pierce the packaging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Sarn

Hmm, seems to be a subtle ploy to increase calorie expenditure in order to reduce the incidence of obesity.

Don't know why they do it with CD wrappers (mmm, crunchy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Cow Juice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Smilies as punctuation... I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Those lucozade isotonic drinks can be a struggle as well. The lids are too tightly sealed sometimes. I ripped the skin from my hand trying to open one. What's the point of the seal inside. What's with this damn world! Damn security seals on everything thx to Bush!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

stay away from refresher bars, almost took my eye out and still ended up chewing on half refresher bar half paper wrapper.

Also whats the crack with everything going minature these days, i remember when you could climb onto a fat frog ice pop and have room for one of your mates to hop on and now one lick and you have splinters in your tongue and another thing what the hell are loop da loops made of these days some crazy chemical crap without the unholy amount of sugar. I don't even get hyper anymore after one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Some ketchup packets are a boll*x to open aswell, so you have to try your hardest and end up with ketchup all over you, or someone else. Chubba Chubbs have always been a pain to open though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Samething happened to my 2 year old neice the other day, she got very frustrated so she gave it to her mammy , and wallaaa, open sesamme:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

At least they're not wrapped in blister packs. I hate them with a vengence. I bought an xbox last weekend and sat down to set it up, of course the extra joy pad I bought came in ..........yes you've guessed it, a blister pack. With the lack of energy to actually get up out of my beanbag and get a sharp knife or scissors I sat there and fought with the pack for nearly 20mins until I finally made a small hole in it.

I proceeded to tear and punch and kick and call it every name under the sun until eventually after many cuts to my hand, and after saying many things that neither of us really meant, I was in.

WHY??? Why make them so hard to get into? I mean put them in a box? Yes! Seal the box? Yes! Seal it for the rest of eternity? NO! I seriously doubt there is a need to seal them that well. Its has to be some sort of sick joke on the part of electronics providers. Earphones, joypads, mp3 player etc... all come in these dreaded packs with no instructions on opening or at very least plasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Should have used a paper clip to pierce the packaging

If 'ifs' and 'buts' were candy and nuts... I forget how that song goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Try carcking lobster open

1 time i was in the home of the "chesse eating surender monkeys"(french), a guy behind me was trying to crack a lobster claw, he managed to crack it and it splatered all over the back of my head, :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

How about cheese wrapping? Once it's open, it's really hard to keep all the cheese left covered properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

simu wrote:
    How about cheese wrapping? Once it's open, it's really hard to keep all the cheese left covered properly.
    I fecking HATE that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

me too... so annoying cos it's only me using it and won't use it in just a couple of days!! other thing I hate is the sachet of flavouring in koka noodles.. it gets all over me everytime no matter how careful I am :mad: oh and the pull things in some orange juice cartons.. they're so annoying!!!

edit/ sorry gone ever so slightly off topic :o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tupperware boxes, no home can have too many. Cling film/tin foil also works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Premier dairies milk cartons, everytime i open them half the pint shoots out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Another packaging nightmare- take away coffee in those cardboard cups with the lids on them. Half the time its fecking impossible to get coffee out of the things- end up ripping the lid off to get at the coffee...... ok, maybe I suffer coffee withdrawl sympthoms first thing in the morning :)

S.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Healio wrote:
    Premier dairies milk cartons, everytime i open them half the pint shoots out.

uhuhuhuhuh (sideshow bob style)
    I hear you on this one.

Also 'resealable' packets that actually don't bother resealing.

But the worst has to be the blister packs. oh my god what is the point. I've heard of people put a sharp knife right through what they were trying to get at in one of those. Pointless.

Also, when are cd's going to come in dvd style covers, plastic that actually bends slightly rather than just snap into millions of bits?

• Advertisement

Also 'resealable' packets that actually don't bother resealing.

when are cd's going to come in dvd style covers, plastic that actually bends slightly rather than just snap into millions of bits?
    resealable packets.. what a joke :mad:
    great idea for cd's .. hope it happens soon.. would be so much easier to be able to store them all in one holder too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

I'm convinced that Chupa Chups wrappers are adult proof, kids can seem to rip the wrappers off easily whilst the adults sit there for ages trying to prise the feckin thing off. I found the trick that usually works for me is to grab the wrapper where it's wrapped round the stick itself and twist in the opposite direction of lie of the wrapper, that usually gets the wrapper suitably loose at the bottom to open it. But that doesn't always work, and I would agree you're left trying to prise it open if that doesn't work.

Something that I find really difficult to open are those "easy open" cartons of soup (kinda like the milk cartons only not as user friendly) that are available, I always find that I have to resort to stabbing it with a sharp knife and even then when pouring the soup, more soup ends up on the counter than in the bowl itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

would be so much easier to be able to store them all in one holder too ;)
    yeah they came up with them...... http://www.shop4tech.com/z/CD_Wallet/1_97_284/
    :rolleyes:

yeah they came up with them...... http://www.shop4tech.com/z/CD_Wallet/1_97_284/
    :rolleyes:

stand.. not wallet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

I'm convinced that Chupa Chups wrappers are adult proof, kids can seem to rip the wrappers off easily whilst the adults sit there for ages trying to prise the feckin thing off. I found the trick that usually works for me is to grab the wrapper where it's wrapped round the stick itself and twist in the opposite direction of lie of the wrapper, that usually gets the wrapper suitably loose at the bottom to open it. But that doesn't always work, and I would agree you're left trying to prise it open if that doesn't work.

I tried that "twisty round the stick" method, but it didn't seem to work for me. That's how I came to the conclusion that the damn things are melted into the sticks. :(

As an aside, just before I left work, I picked up one of my folders to get some information for a client, and a handful of skittles rattled out of it onto my desk from the earlier fiasco. I can tell I'm gonna be finding sweeties round my desk for months to come!! :eek:

lets just hope they don't melt and go all goopy!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Must be a dry-cleaner's invention: those annoying single-serving milk micro-tubs you try to open them gently/carefully and they always ejaculate a spurt of milk on your trousers/skirt/kilt/sari/whatever.

Must be a dry-cleaner's invention: those annoying single-serving milk micro-tubs you try to open them gently/carefully and they always ejaculate a spurt of milk on your trousers/skirt/kilt/sari/whatever.
    specially on the stuupid train!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

The Avonmore Chocolate Milk annoys me.

When you take off the screw cap, there is this plastic seal thing with a loop on it, that you can allegedly peel off easily. Not so. Especially on the smaller cartons. They are melded on or something, and opening them seems to produce a temporary choc milk fountain. Which lands in your lap. With hilarious consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

You're supposed to suck the chupa chups with the plastic on until it dissolves, it's a please delaying device and lets only small amounts of the flavour out through the little plastic pores. (plasti-pops, patents pending)

I could be wrong though.

I too have noticed the move from child-proof packaging to *-proof packaging.

impr0v wrote:
    You're supposed to suck the chupa chups with the plastic on until it dissolves, it's a please delaying device and lets only small amounts of the flavour out through the little plastic pores. (plasti-pops, patents pending)

I could be wrong though. .

oh so that's what it is!! ;) cos it really does bug me tryin to get the wrapper off!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Am I the only one that has little trouble getting into most packets containing confectionary? Except peanuts of course. Those tight bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Aava

It's to stop innocent little darling children ripping sweets open that mummy didn't pay for, I suppose. I remember opening a few Smarties tubes myself. That's why they've got plastic over them now. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

chubba chumps are a nightmare especially when you get addicted to them are are trying to open one for another hit and the wrapper just doesnt come off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

The small tubes of pringles are a bi-atch to get open, the big containers are no problem, the foil cover that keeps them fresh peels away easily, but when it comes to the smaller ones..... the foil wrapper thing manages to take half the cardboard from the inside of the tube with it most of the time!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Fruitella or Opal Fruits (I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I call them Starburst) wrappers have a terrible habit of welding themselves to the sweet inside. I hate eating paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

Ok, I finally got the packet open. When I say open, I really mean it split down the middle and I was showered in a cloud of skittles! :eek:
    have you not seen the skittles ads? thats exactly whats meant to happen ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Almost anything that's easy tear-cellophane. Thicker cellophane is worse. cigs - 1 outta 4 - problems. Rice-cakes (all brands) 2 out of 3problems.

Also hate easy open cans when the opener breaks off.

Global conglomerates who produce these things - I know you're listening! I just am pissed off that I can't hear your laughter, and I know you are laughing - in the knowledge that you make more with sh1t packaging than with good packaging - coz the product goes off (consumer afraid of package), the consumer ends up dancing on it (can't open), the package is opened and 10% is wasted (it's the 10% waste is where its at right? :( )

Globalisation doesn't need to be such a bad thing really, we just need competition from Mars or something :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ok, I finally got the packet open. When I say open, I really mean it split down the middle and I was showered in a cloud of skittles! :eek: They are everywhere! All over my desk, in my letter tray, down the back of my neck, in my paper clips, under my keyboard, stuck in the files... Not only that, there was a crowd of people in the office who witnessed all this. Man, the colour of my face right now takes on a new definition of the colour red!! :( I am sooooo not amused! :o Oh, and after all that effort, the sweets taste mank anyway :mad:
    Gums don't kill people, wrappers do. :D

Use your keys, they are designed for opening things.
    Cork_girl wrote:
    me too... so annoying cos it's only me using it and won't use it in just a couple of days!! other thing I hate is the sachet of flavouring in koka noodles..
    This is what teeth were designed for. :D
    it gets all over me everytime no matter how careful I am :mad: oh and the pull things in some orange juice cartons.. they're so annoying!!!
    You need a man, don't you ;)

Advertisement