Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions League (Week 4) - Will contain spoilers

• 02-11-2004 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭

02/11/2004
    CSKA Moskva 0 - 1 Chelsea
    Porto 0 - 0 PSG
    PSV 1 - 0 Rosenborg
    Arsenal 1 - 1 Panathinaikos
    Barcelona 2 - 1 Milan
    Celtic 1 - 0 Shakhtar :cool:
    Bremen 5 - 1 Anderlecht
    Internazionale 0 - 0 Valencia

03/11/2004
    Olympiacos 1 - 0 Monaco
    Deportivo 0 - 1 Liverpool
    Dynamo Kyiv 2 - 2 Real Madrid
    Roma 1 - 1 Leverkusen
    Bayern 0 - 1 Juventus
    M. Tel-Aviv 2 - 1 Ajax
    Man. United 4 - 1 Sparta
    Lyon 4 - 2 Fenerbahçe

I will be at Celtic Park tonight but I fear for our defence. Hopefully we will get the win we need.

As for the other games tonight, I think Chelsea, Porto, Arsenal, Barcelona, Bremen and Inter will win.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

is the arsenal game on the telleh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

UTV
    19:30 Champions League Live Gabby Logan presents coverage from Highbury of Arsenal's match against Greek champions Panathinaikos. With Terry Venables and Robbie Earle. Kick-off 7.45pm

TV3
    17:15 Champions League Football Live Champions League action with CSKA Moscow v Chelsea at 5.30pm followed by Celtic v Shakhtar Donetsk from Celtic Park at 7.45pm

UTV isnt on sky is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

1-0 chelsea at half time, what a great goal by robben. Still can be anyone's game though

and it ends 1-0. Good game over all though the second half was a bit scrappy. Chelsea came under pressure but managed to hold. I feel that a draw might have been a fairer result as Vagnerlove really did squander that penalty chance by blasting it miles over the bar. This despite his great solo effort that forced Checz to make a good save in the first half. I was very impressed with Robben and Duff though. Well played over all by chelsea, this is the first time this season i've watched them play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I will be at Celtic Park tonight but I fear for our defence.
    Tell me about it, the two first choice centre half's in Balde and Kennedy injured. If Sutton was fit he'd probably have started in defence, thats how bad it is.

This should be of interest to the majority of us on boards, McGeady starts.

Duff has got an assist in all his 3 starts in the CL this season, super back heal for Robben tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Mc Geady starts on the right hand side for Celtic. Hopefully he does the business !

Memnoch wrote:
    this is the first time this season i've watched them play.
    I must have seen them play about 5 or 6 times this season already. :eek:

Mc geady is out on the left instead of the expected right hand side. Not doing anything wrong but not doing a rooney either ( so far :) )

Shakhtar Donetsk are down to 10 men and 1-0 up ! They really should get a result of this :D

That was the first time I've ever in my life seen that 7 second rule enforced. For those who aren't watching, if a keeper has the ball in his hands for more than 7 seconds an indirect free kick is rewarded. The British refs usually ignore it but this ref gave Celtic a free and Thompson scored from it.

Camara is one of the best players with the ball at his feet but he just can't shoot/finish. Hartson is the man of the match so far with Petrov not far behind. Agathe and Varga are also playing well. Thompson and McGeady are giving a few sloppy passes away. The sending off was a bit harsh IMO. Camara was clearly playing for it and could have easily got by his man but obviously doesn't even have confidence in his own finishing.

• Advertisement

down to 9 men now. Celtic really have to win this by more than 1 !!

down to 9 men now. Celtic really have to win this by more than 1 !!
    I didn't actually want them to go down to 9 men as we have a history of playing crap against less players (ie. Anderlecht last year), the fans hardly cheered when he was shown the red. 9 men behind the ball is a lot harder to break down then the usual 5 or 6.

Anyway, we should get at least a point from the next two games.

Arsenal screw up again thx to their famous french defender.........again, he is so crap it is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Anyone watch Barca V Milan? What absoloute class. For me the contiental big leagues are now getting further and further ahead of the premiership, the standard of football on display was absolutley stunning. Both teams had pretty much world class players all over the pitch and one of those teams will more than likely win it, I hope the draw works out so they can meet again in the final. You'll also struggle to see a better goal than Ronaldinhos winner for that matter.

How did McGeady do for Celtic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Shocking! Dear god that was such an inept performance from celtic. Didnt they realise that they needed to score goals against Shakhtar?

All i could see in the second half was 3 or 4 players standing around at the back scratching their holes, thompson and petrov seeming to play on the half-way line, and no movement/creativity. Why didnt he bring on Juninho???? Why leave so many defenders on the pitch???? The substitutions - Wallace for McGeady (poor poor substitution imo) and beattie for camara (another woeful performance). Celtic dont deserve to progress after this dismal, dour performance. 9 men!!! You would wonder which team had the 9 men after watching that!

Arrrgghhh. such a frustrating match.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Anyone watch Barca V Milan? What absoloute class. For me the contiental big leagues are now getting further and further ahead of the premiership, the standard of football on display was absolutley stunning. Both teams had pretty much world class players all over the pitch and one of those teams will more than likely win it, I hope the draw works out so they can meet again in the final. You'll also struggle to see a better goal than Ronaldinhos winner for that matter.

How did McGeady do for Celtic?.
    thats because of their financial power. not even manchester united can compete with their finances, only chelsea can.

Boro wrote:
    Shocking! Dear god that was such an inept performance from celtic. Didnt they realise that they needed to score goals against Shakhtar?

All i could see in the second half was 3 or 4 players standing around at the back scratching their holes, thompson and petrov seeming to play on the half-way line, and no movement/creativity. Why didnt he bring on Juninho???? Why leave so many defenders on the pitch???? The substitutions - Wallace for McGeady (poor poor substitution imo) and beattie for camara (another woeful performance). Celtic dont deserve to progress after this dismal, dour performance. 9 men!!! You would wonder which team had the 9 men after watching that!

Arrrgghhh. such a frustrating match.
    In fairness, we were playing against a wall of 9 men, its a lot easier to score when the other team actually attack's. I'm not lying when I say I'd have preferred it if the second fella wasn't sent off.

Wallace is a class act and has been performing better than McGeady this season. Beattie was the only striker on the bench and Camara wasn't playing well.

I would have taken 1-0 before the match so I've nothing to be down about. We don't deserve a UEFA cup spot with just 3 points so we always needed something from the next two games 2 deservedly qualify. We had just been beaten 3-2 at home to Aberdeen and barely beat Motherwell on Saturday, the team needs a complete reshape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Barcelona - Milan was one of the best games I've seen in a long time.
    It was nearly all two touch football, Barcelona deserved the victory.
    What a goal by Ronaldinho, finally all the frustration was behind him.
    Xavi my man of the match, pulled the strings in midfield, never stopped working, and got the assist for Eto'o to get the equaliser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Oh god how much is it to arrange a hit. Someone please shoot Cygan !!!!

Another lacklustre performance by Arsenal, sigh the pain of supporting a football team !!!

the sending offs were harsh but fair, rules are rules and if u break em u get the card.
    I'm glad celtic got the 3 points, and the young irish lad looks like he has some potential.
    That being said celtic weren't really "inspirational", camara was especially dissapointing. Who the hell pays this guy to play as a striker? he can't seem to shoot at the goal. What a woeful striker.

Apparently he has scored 7 goals in the scottish league, but really his performance here tonight is dissapointing to say the least.

i think at the end of the day celtic just don't have the money to afford quality players to be able to compete at the european level. Which really sucks for them.

i watched the highlights of barca v milan, I wish they had shown that live instead of celtic v shaktar on TV3. What great goals. Cygon is horrible, why is he playing for the "preimereship champions" again? I wouldn't even put him in the Indian National Football team, and thats saying something!

• Advertisement

Memnoch wrote:
    i think at the end of the day celtic just don't have the money to afford quality players to be able to compete at the european level. Which really sucks for them.
    ...Celtic don't have the money to afford Owen bloody Coyle never mind quality. ;) Camara is a superb player but terrible finisher. He used to play on the wing so I'd probably stick him there. He played well in the other CL games this season I thought, finishing aside.

Well I am disappointed. If somebody offered me a 1-0 before the game, I would have jumped at it but I am home now and I feel dejected because Celtic were dire in the 2nd half. I really am disappointed in Martin O'Neill at the way he handled the double sending off. We should have brought Juninho on, there was loads of space for him to weave some of that magic he keeps promising us. Agathe should have been subbed not McGeady. I thought the 2nd sending off was harsh as it appeared that Petrov went down too easily. I have yet to see it on TV.

It was so obvious that O'Neill was quite happy with 1-0 and it may come back and bite him on the arse. We just need to go to the Nou Camp and show Barca what we are made of :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Memnoch wrote:
    i watched the highlights of barca v milan, I wish they had shown that live instead of celtic v shaktar on TV3.

Biggest game of the night by far, it should definitely have been shown. Especially considering what they showed instead of it.

impr0v wrote:
    Especially considering what they showed instead of it.
    I doubt anyone would be saying this if it was ManU/Arsenal/Liverpool/Chelsea playing. RTE/TV3 have always shown the Brittish teams in the CL when they are playing, they don't show them for the sake of it.

Miller starts for Man U tonight by the way.

And yeah, the British teams are the ratings winners but thank christ for Skys coverage of the CL if you have it, Barca V Milan is the best match I've watched this season and it gives you a chance to watch some really world class teams.

impr0v wrote:
    Biggest game of the night by far, it should definitely have been shown. Especially considering what they showed instead of it.

I agree on the basis of the quality of the football on display. Tell me when RTE last showed a CL group game that did not feature a British team? I am pretty sure the Barcelona game was on Sky so you could have tuned in there.

I will be watching Man United, who should win. I think Liverpool will draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Alonso is out!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Van Nistlerooy started well, nice attempted elbow on the left touchline... :rolleyes:

Had Heinze's shot gone in I'd say he'd have killed some punter in the stand behind the goal, the power was unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Liverpool are 1-0 up. An OG from Cesar or Andrade (sky sports live scores don't seem to be sure who scored it but who cares :) YNWA)

BTW Biscan has started the game for Liverpool. Obviously Alonso wasn't up to the 90 min so he will probably be introduced in the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Real 2-0 down :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

Man Utd 2 - 0. Van Nistlerooy after unbelievable backpass from sparta prague center half.

Van nistlerooy second also. from peno spot after scholes fouled in box

I thought the penalty was very soft, Scholes was half way down when the tackle came in. Ronaldo should have made it 3-0 and Carroll made a fantastic save.

I thought the penalty was very soft, Scholes was half way down when the tackle came in. Ronaldo should have made it 3-0 and Carroll made a fantastic save.

Have to say it was a peno. Scholes was on his way down all right, but even if he hadn't the defender slid in and the ball was gone.

It was both a dive and a foul really, I wonder could the ref have booked Scholes and still given the pen?

• Advertisement

Slash/ED wrote:
    It was both a dive and a foul really, I wonder could the ref have booked Scholes and still given the pen?

Far too surreal for me... :D

I wouldn't say dive as such, as it was more in anticipation of the inevitable contact than throwing himself onto the defender.

Real are 2-2. Raul 37 Figo pen 44 :)

Poor defending from Man U and its 2-1.

Good passing move from Sparta ends with a Zelenka goal.

man u 2 - sparta prague 1
    zelenka 53'
    sweet goal. nicely done and showed up uniteds centre backs

van nistlerooy for his hattrick
    manu 3 - sparta prague 1

• Advertisement

man u 3-1 sparta.

terrible defending buy excellent finish by RVN. ferdinand is so over-rated, only plays well against weak opposition.

man u 4 - sparta prague
    van nistlerooy for his FOURTH GOAL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Liverpool win, great result, a draw in Monaco and then all they have to do is beat Olympiakos at home.

Good win for United although the 4th goal was offside. Sparta should have had a penalty and they scored the best goal tonight. Excellent play from them for the goal.

i dont understand that united do so well in europe and r doing poorly domestically and its the other war round for arsenal.

Lyon score 2 in the the 4th & 6th minute of injury time :eek:

Liverpool should beat Olympiakos at home, they've one of the worst away records in the CL. Olympiakos might well be at Depor at home which would put them on 10 points.
    Liverpool win, great result, a draw in Monaco and then all they have to do is beat Olympiakos at home.
    Since Depor can't qualify and the group goes down to head to head rather than goal difference, all Liverpool need is to beat Olympiakos and they've qualified. You're all but in to the 2nd round now. :)

/edit: sorry, I was getting mixed up. Beat Olympiakos by more than a goal to qualify. :)

Jivin, you didn't get to see the game? You would have had a heart attack. :D 11 behind the ball whenever I switched over. ;)

Where will highlights of all the games be on tonight?

Just saw them there, Liverpool had a good few chances without any really being threatened. Very pleased with that. Biscan what a run for the goal. And typical Baros, when he should have been going to the near posthe decides to crowd the back along with Garcia, good thing Andrade put it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Good win for United but again question have to be asked about the defense, very flattering score line again!!

Also good win for the pool considering our limited striking options!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement