Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Club - Public Relations

Options
  • 02-11-2004 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Trying to improve the perception off our Gun Club. As with many clubs our rural area has now become very populated with people who are not used to country ways and would be mainly anti-hunting.
    We have come up with the following ideas to try and improve our image to the local community.

Charity Clay Shoot
    Erecting Bird Boxes (photos local mag)
    More No Shooting Signs in areas of conservation.

Have any other Gun Clubs had this problem and tried to correct the situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Pull!theother1

Terrier wrote:
    More No Shooting Signs in areas of conservation.

I would query the wisdom of using "no shooting" signs as people will/may mistakenly associate the promotion of good conservation practices with the curtailment of shooting when in fact the opposite is true?

Why not use "sanctuary" signs instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

The exect wording on the no shooting signs

Game Sanctuary
    No Shooting
    Vermin Shooting between Sept- March
    Club Club Name

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

smiaras wrote:
    Get in contact with local groups and query their exact concerns.

There is not really a problem with groups more individuals in certain areas. Trying to explain to them about vermin control, habitat conservation etc.. we don't just kill everything that moves as most perceive.

When I was confronted lately by an individual who saw me with a mink in a live cage trap. Caught on a river where I have land owners permission and the local fishing clubs co-operation. He demanded that the animal be let go. To which I replied NO. Until the farmer came along and request the individual remove himself from his land. (Should have let the mink go, fine male would have made bits of him)
    Still had to deal with my local sergeant who had to investigate a man trapping animals illegally!! Try to explain to the individual what mink have done to our ecology system.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

This is a touchy subject. Whilst I agree with you in what you say, a lot of People have a very narrow view of shooting. It doesn't matter how you try and portray yourself as you will "always" be wrong in someones eyes. While Charity clay shoots are a good idea, Generally I would try to keep the subject of shooting as low a profile to the general public as possible. Trying to explain your actions to people who have a one track mind just won't work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭benhurt1

http://www.kilteeldistrictgameclub.freeservers.com/

Browse this site and you might get some ideas........

Advertisement