Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clothes for the tall

• 02-11-2004 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Alright Im 6'7" i know thats fairly tall but I meet alot of people around who are fairly close to my size and sometimes taller. What I cant understand is why so few shops in dublin stock clothes for tall people. Jack and Jones are good but thats really it. Why do shops only sell clothes for short fat people? whoever designs clothes here seems to model them on 5'6" men with huge beer guts. I would just like to see more fitted shirts and jeans that go beyond 34". Im a 38" and sometimes 40" leg but this is impossible to find. As for shoes? I wont even bother, you just cant get them past size 12 here, shoe companys dont make them. and if they do they look like farmer dan shoes. This situation has really pissssed me off, I think tall people should unite for something better than "Mr Big" - clothes for the unfasionable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Yeah I get the same. Jack and Jones have been a bit of a God-send lately as before that it was Docker's from Arnotts and that was about it.

With shoes I've come to realise that with size 12's, you've just got to spend the money so I usually buy Timberlands. They cost a small fortune but are very comfortable and I know Fitzpatrick's will have a 12.

It really pisses me off during the sales though, no shops put clothes for tall people out
    on the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I've heard there's a shop in Goatstown that caters for the freakishly tall but have never ventured out that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Yeah Ive heard of that, I wouldnt be freakishly tall, quite well proportioned. And the clothes in those shops seem to hightlight your size. I used to live in New York and it was the same there. Everyone told me getting clothes would be easy but it wasnt to be. Once you go over 34" or 36" leg hes get nasty, tehy jsut dont make nice clothes that big. Its a conspiracy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Miss Judy

You think that's bad..which I can empathise with as I know it's hard for tall blokes to get decent clothes, my brothers hate it.
    It's horrible for women.....I'm 6ft and a size 10/12 waist and it's hell getting trousers/jeans long enough. Top Shop and Dorothy Perkins do a tall section, but the state of some of the stuff is bad.It's annoying and my height sometimes freaks people out aswell, which I really hate!. Me and most of my friends are tall girls, the smallest of us being 5ft9", which is not small. We have some laughs when we go clothes shopping. We are all the wrong side of 25 now heading towards the horrible 30 in the next 2/3 years and we still have the probs we had as teenagers with clothes. Do shops and designers EVER learn. Most of them have a petites section...so why not enought tall sections?!?!?!. Good luck lads finding decent clothes!. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Have the same prob myself, am about 6'1 but am quite a big fella. I also have very broad shoulders and chest and a "long" back (weird but these people do exist).

It always hard to get clothes that fit properly, i.e. are comfortable around the shoulders and long enough. Always end up wearing clothes that end up being baggy just so they are long enough. Its particularly annoying with shirts and tucking them in, i.e. the shirt keeps coming out of the trousers when ya sit down or even move..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

yeah i'm the same.. i'm 6ft 5" and 19st.. i find it hard findin a decent pair of size 40" waist jeans.. i know you can get them no problem in places like dunnes etc but i like my comfort and i like baggy jeans.. and its impossible to find them.. i haven't bought new jeans in about 2yrs!!

as for tops.. try marks and spencers, they always have decent sizes going up to XXL.. made my day when i walked in there:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ye I'm the same I'm 5" 2' and it's very hard to find kids clothes that fit me

:D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

dunno if this is any good but Dorothy Perkins do a tall range for girls.. and isn't Burton their male store? Never know ;)

newband wrote:

as for tops.. try marks and spencers, they always have decent sizes going up to XXL.. made my day when i walked in there:D

Always too tight around the shoulders.. Its a ****ing nightmare.. sorta settled with just tshirts.. :(

Miss Judy wrote:
    You think that's bad..which I can empathise with as I know it's hard for tall blokes to get decent clothes, my brothers hate it.
    It's horrible for women.....I'm 6ft and a size 10/12 waist and it's hell getting trousers/jeans long enough. Top Shop and Dorothy Perkins do a tall section, but the state of some of the stuff is bad.It's annoying and my height sometimes freaks people out aswell, which I really hate!. Me and most of my friends are tall girls, the smallest of us being 5ft9", which is not small. We have some laughs when we go clothes shopping. We are all the wrong side of 25 now heading towards the horrible 30 in the next 2/3 years and we still have the probs we had as teenagers with clothes. Do shops and designers EVER learn. Most of them have a petites section...so why not enought tall sections?!?!?!. Good luck lads finding decent clothes!. :rolleyes:

So where is it you tall girls hang out. I allways thought tall girls in Ireland was a fable.

• Advertisement

www.jcpenny.com seems to be the one!! damn yanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 grinderstone

Hey,so anyone here ever hear of "Google" ?????

If you look up: www.tallclub.co.uk/suppliers/index.asp ,you'll find a list of mens and womens clothes sites.

Also,go direct to:
    sheplers.com,
    landsend.ie,
    rochesterclothing.com (expensive,but good quality)

Also,

buyersindex.com/brca/16.htm

Well,thats just a suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 grinderstone

Why don't you try "C&D shoe repairs" shops for shoes,there's one beside The Barge pub,on Charlemont Street,and there's a few others around the town (Dublin that is),they stock shoes up to size 15,and no they're not all bland type either,and they're not too dear.

Also,the sites I listed on another post also stock shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Well im 6ft 3" and i have the problem of being a bit too slender when getting clothes of the right lenght!Plus i also find that only some brands with a 34" leg(which seems to be the max in most shops) seem to be long enough!Im only 12 stone and i know i should be more but some people cant just put on any weight!Cant a bloke be a string bean if he wants! :D hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 headphone

Thought it was great when 3 years ago i went into jack and jones for the first time and found they had long jeans (36") in length. Been back to the shop many times and hav'nt found another 36" length jean since.

There's just not enough of us lanky ****ers out there.

There not gonna waste their shelf space on us freaks.

There is more money in short fat freaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I find the best place for jeans is a Raidar... the G-Star line. Some of their 36 legs are really 38's in disguise.

Unfortunately, my jeans tend to be uncomfortably close to my crotch. I guess you can't win them all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Miss Judy, I know exactly what you mean! I just reached 6ft1 (yay.) and I just can't find decent trousers anywhere for a tall size 8. I have to wear skirts and long tops over low trousers....Oh, and do any other tall girls find that short skirts just make them look like hookers? Stupid legs *grumble*

Sorry for the moan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

The shop in goatstown is called Mr Big. I've never been there, so I can't say what it's like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

You can get large shoes from DFH on the Quays, just past the 4 courts, North Quay. They go up to size 16 and have an excellent selection, decent prices too. Very much recommended. Marks and Spencers also sell socks up to size 15, not cheap, but worth it.

36" (or longer) jeans/combats are much harder to come by, a lot of the ones I've found were in Germany, but I do get lucky in town occasionally, Roches Stores in the Ilac had some recently, as did Soviet in the Foyleside in Derry.

For mens wear, James Herren on Dawson st. is expensive, but stocks all sorts of odd sizes....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Where exactly is Charlemont St? My boyfriend's feet are size 14 and it's a nightmare getting him shoes! It's not just shoes either... I won tickets to go ice skating last year and they only had ice skates up to a size 13 I think it was, so he had to squish his feet into them. Poor guy, I think that hour of skating nearly killed him (maybe I should have brought someone else :( )
    He's 6'5" as well, and while he's not a stringbean he is still quite thin so any trousers he finds that are long enough usually have a massive waist, I don't know how he'd get by without belts.
    I don't know what's with clothes shops though - they really do all seem to cater for short people, and if they have longer stuff it's usually wider too! I mean I'm 5'9"/10" which isn't exceptionally tall for a girl but even I have trouble finding stuff to fit. Why is there so little stuff for tall thin people?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I'm 6 foot 1 and never have trouble finding clothes to fit!My bro is 6 foot 6' and he never has any probs too.
    I'm a size 10 and always get my clothes in topshop tall-the new range in the new topshop in stephens green is just to die for!Also get my clothes in miss selfidge cos they do length 36 trousers.Long tall sally in clerys is alright but there a bit frumpy the clothes.I have mega long arms and so i find h+m jumpers and pennys usually fit the length of my arms.It's just a case of shopping around-u wont find one shop that fits you perfect on the top half and bottom half.
    As for my bro he wears a lot of cantebury and O'neil traccie bottoms so they must do them in long lenths and he always looks well.

If your planning a shopping trip to London go to Jinxs-it's a skater type shop in covent garden and in camden also.It has really nice clothes-great fitting and in really long lengths for arms and legs.
    What I want to know is where can you get a nice pair of party heels which aren't flat and arent skycraper heels either-no where does shoes for tall girls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

O'Neill do long tracksuit bottoms! Cool - they are the one thing that's always eluded me in long sizes - I just wear shorts instead, but it can be bloody cold sometimes. Generally large are long enough, but they're thick enough that you could wear your normal trousers inside them (in fact, I have in the past :) )

I once wore four tshirts under my hoodie cos i was so cold so we all have our secret shame.:) My bro plays gaa for limerick so he usually gets his o'neil trekkie bottoms from them so i dunno what shop you'd get them in though!

Fishie wrote:
    Where exactly is Charlemont St? My boyfriend's feet are size 14 and it's a nightmare getting him shoes! It's not just shoes either... I won tickets to go ice skating last year and they only had ice skates up to a size 13 I think it was, so he had to squish his feet into them. Poor guy, I think that hour of skating nearly killed him (maybe I should have brought someone else :( )

This happened to me on Sunday, except the biggest they had was 12, the pain!!!
    panda100 wrote:
    I'm 6 foot 1 and never have trouble finding clothes to fit!My bro is 6 foot 6' and he never has any probs too.
    I'm a size 10 and always get my clothes in topshop tall-the new range in the new topshop in stephens green is just to die for!Also get my clothes in miss selfidge cos they do length 36 trousers.Long tall sally in clerys is alright but there a bit frumpy the clothes.I have mega long arms and so i find h+m jumpers and pennys usually fit the length of my arms.It's just a case of shopping around-u wont find one shop that fits you perfect on the top half and bottom half.
    As for my bro he wears a lot of cantebury and O'neil traccie bottoms so they must do them in long lenths and he always looks well.

Firstly, your 6'1" ? Well done! Cantebury tracksuit bottoms might fit, O'Neills give me that "Three stooges" look. Have still found the only place for jeans is Jack And Jones, my hero's. My upperbody I dont really have a problem with, T-Shirts fit all really! I find the odd shirt here and there that fits too. Would still love to have a designer go do my shopping for me!

Its a year since I posted this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Macseamusa

im about 6 3, most of my trousers that are Road ones, i like baggy trousers cos well, they are the only ones that seem to suit me.
    as for shoes...im size 12..and all the cool shoes in schu or whatever its called go up to size 11, except cons. I like cons but they mess up your feet and i don't want that.
    I would go to mr.big..but i thought mr.big was for larger men, not tall skinny ones.
    As for shirts...most of them fit chest wise, its the damm arm lengths that get me.
    Im getting a suit on thursday, so 'hopefully' i can get the right arm lengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Wraggles

High street stores dive me up the freaking wall with their trousers for the short and fat and sleeves for the vertically challenged. Womens clothes just do not come easily at 34-36" legs in a small town. I mean, honestly, how many people are out there whos waist is larger than their leg length? I really struggle for trousers, especially jeans... complete nightmare. Coats are equally as bad! Me being a 6ft 2 in my teens just doesn't help at all. I want to look as good as my friends, all of them fit snugly into the 'petite' sections (of which there seems to be no shortage), and thats almost impossible!! Dorothy Perkins and Topshop do have a tall range yes but the stores i can reach easily are small and the tall jeans sell out instantly. Why doesn't anyone realise that tall people are out there?!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭GusherING

G-Star jeans and Jack and Jones are the best in my experience for tall people in Dublin trying to buy jeans. I'm 6ft3 and 13stone so it drives me up the wall buying jeans. Whenever I'm abroad I always check out a Gap store too. Generally seem to have jeans that fit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

The Mr Big shop in Goatstown is called Mr Big and Tall, I think. I've never been in there, so I don't know if that means ranges for big men and for tall men, as in 2 ranges, or just for big men that are also tall, if you get what I mean. They also deliver, so it's worth a look for some of you.

Also, Barratts do some men's sizes up to a size 14. Not a lot, but some, and they can sometimes order them in for you, or you can ask the staff if they have anything in at the moment, including older stock, and they *should* be able to check for you. They do some women's styles up to a 10 also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Wondering if over 4 years on from this thread is there any improvement for the tall and not so big?

I find http://www.ae.com and http://www.jcpenny.com ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I've started to order stuff from JCrew.com; getting them sent to friends in the US and then picking them up or getting them delivered to me. L-Tall fits me on the button, and some of their 36W 36L pants actually fit (while every trouser I've got here has been a 40 then taken in).

I also got an unhemmed stone cotton trouser in Hackett's on South Anne street, for something a bit more local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm about 5'9, which isn't crazy tall for a girl, so I find it easy to get trousers. Trousers seem to be getting longer and longer I find. But tights, ugh! And I have really long arms so it's difficult to find coats and long sleeved tops that fit well.

My boyfriend is about 6'5 and finds it hard enough to find jeans that fit. And he is a size 14 foot so rarely finds shoes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I'm about 5'9, which isn't crazy tall for a girl, so I find it easy to get trousers. Trousers seem to be getting longer and longer I find. But tights, ugh! And I have really long arms so it's difficult to find coats and long sleeved tops that fit well.

My boyfriend is about 6'5 and finds it hard enough to find jeans that fit. And he is a size 14 foot so rarely finds shoes!

For your bf: I find Tk Max good for shoes/ runners. Always call in when passing to pick up size 13/14. Selection is variable but price is always good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

for the tall girls out there Long Tall Sally delivers to Ireland, starts at size 8 goes up to 20. I've been buying my clothes from there for years. most jeans/trousers are 34"/36" inseam and occasionally 40"

Also Tall Girls likewise delivers to Ireland, slightly cheaper than LTS and the sizes are a wee bit bigger. Bought a few things from there, excellent quality stuff.

There's a man's version at mens does 40" inseams, and up to a 14 in the shoes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RachTheRage

There is a Long Tall Sally shop upstairs in Clerys, some of their stuff can be a bit dodgy but i've found a couple of nice dresses, which are generally a nightmare to find in regular shops - waist up around your boobs, hips at your waist and crotch grazingly short!
    Also Pull & Bear or Zara jeans are pretty long but very slow slung generally - i've also some across some pretty long Deisel jeans for the flush times!

It's still pretty hard to find clothes as a tall girl - I'm 6 ft, my sister's 6"2 but thankfully we're out of the pre-internet days when the only 36" jeans in Ireland were Levis 501's - not forgiving to those of us with size 8 feet, you end up looking like a clown.
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/rachael/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/rachael/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]

• Advertisement

I have discovered a new shop to clothe all of my 6' limbs! Stradvarius upstairs in the Jervis shopping centre.........Lovely long sleeves,trousers and dresses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Does anyone know where I can get a swimsuit to fit me (I'm 5"10) every swimsuit I try on is way too short the straps end up digging into me as well as the bikini line bit. I've looked up the Long Tall Sally site and they do swinsuits but there was a post on the review of it where a woman the same height as me bought it but said it didn't fit her well.

As for tights, I bought a large pair from M&S recently and they fit me better than any other pair I've ever tried on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭valery

Miss Judy wrote: »

Oh yes, know what you mean. Im 5ft.7 , 16 on top and 14 below. I can spend all day looking for say slacks that are the right length.
    bloomin nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭valery

biZrb wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get a swimsuit to fit me (I'm 5"10) every swimsuit I try on is way too short the straps end up digging into me as well as the bikini line bit. I've looked up the Long Tall Sally site and they do swinsuits but there was a post on the review of it where a woman the same height as me bought it but said it didn't fit her well.

As for tights, I bought a large pair from M&S recently and they fit me better than any other pair I've ever tried on.

If you get fed up with m&s try tescos re tights , they do some for the long of leg. :)

M&S tights are the business - i'm also looking for a new swimsuit at the moment, these guys are meant to be good
    http://www.landsend.com

also on the tallgirls.co.uk website
    http://www.tallgirls.co.uk/clothes-for-tall-women/tall-swimwear.html
    there are a couple that look ok.

I got a really long Speedo suit years ago - no idea where i found it tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Weekendrambo

No doubt you've all heard about TPC ... Tall Persons Club Uk & Ireland

http://www.swordsdublin.com/Tall+Persons+Club

Great setup indeed ...

Myself Im 6'8" and while on holiday 2 yrs ago in Gran Canaria, I found a Grande shop full of big sizes, I got 6 pairs for next to nothing!!

I use ... Walktall.co.uk a lot for shoes, and ebay!!

Jeans wise again its the internet and normally uk stores I buy from, I hate shopping in the city centre to much hassle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JUSTIN DIXON

There is a shop just opened on dawson st that stock 36 and 38inch leg jeans, trousers and joggers. They have them from 32 waist to 44 waist, all in extra tall. Its called kingsize. They do 72cm sleeve shirts and extra tall suits. The shoes go up to 16 but they have no runners. The tall section in the shop is small at the moment but will expand greatly in september.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement