Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche :- how much do you pay

Options
  • 02-11-2004 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

We pay about 8,700+ per year... its a mini mortage without payment protection, tax relief or anything.

:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

ok lets do the maths...
    170 per week
    170*4=680
    680 per month
    170*51=8,670.00 per year
    they are so nice they only make you pay for 51 weeks out of a year

thats while she's in school for any half days or mid terms its €20 extra per day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

From reading other parenting sites and talking to other parents - €170 seems to be the norm here in Ireland - its very expensive. Luckily my Mam minds my son. She don't want to take anything but I told her I'd pay her the going rate and she insisted on giving me a discount. So she gets €100 per week and still ends up spending it back on the kids even though she's not exactly flush herself. I try make it up to her by getting her really nice pressies for xmas and birthdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

We had two kids in the creche...then had an aupair...then my wife resigned and now we thinking of leaving the country..you cant buy qaulity of live.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

€13 Euro a day per kid, bring your own food, nappies, etc(I haven't a clue about other creches)

She looks after our two year old & 3 other children.

Obviously not out for the money, thank god!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

790 a month
    food, nappies included

they're very good, but its still very expensive & if we have another the missus will probably have to give up work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

€800 a month including food but not nappies. He's usually only there 3.5 days per week as I work shifts, but because my shifts are different days each week we have to pay the full week rate to cover all the days.

With the finance minister complaining about pressures on the national pension fund due to an aging population it would seem to make sense to have some sort of tax relief on childcare. A lot of people I know will not have kids because the cost of the creche would be almost twice what their mortgage costs. With fewer people having children the population ain't gonna get any younger.

As above, another child will mean one less wage coming in. No sense in one of us working just to pay for somebody to mind our children while we work.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

We've a good system going with our fella.

Make his breakfast. We wake him up. 7.30
    Drop him down to my mam & dad. Go to work 7.45
    Mam gives him breakfast
    Then my old babysitter minds him from 8.45 on wards. Goes up to our house and dresses him and takeshim away for the day.
    My mam takes him again with the help of my bros and sis at 4.15pm.
    Then wecollect him at 7, feed him and play with him until 9pm.

€100 weekly for my old baby sitter and a weekend away or two for my parents. Baby sitter gets a few weeks paid when he visits his other grandparents.

We are sooooooooo lucky. I don't know how other people manage. Especially those who come up from the country with no family in the area. Paying for day care and to go out at night (if they can aford to)

The best thing is that everybody involved thinks he's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I feel guilty.

My girlfriend's mother looks after our son 5 days a week while we're at work.
    She flatly refuses to take any money because she says she has a new lease of
    life with him (her husband died about 6 years ago and she was never the same since)
    They have a fantastic time together; going to the park, the shops, meeting new people etc etc.
    I think he prefers her to us!

If it wasn't for that fantastic, wonderful woman I don't know what we'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

milltown wrote:
    With the finance minister complaining about pressures on the national pension fund due to an aging population it would seem to make sense to have some sort of tax relief on childcare. A lot of people I know will not have kids because the cost of the creche would be almost twice what their mortgage costs. With fewer people having children the population ain't gonna get any younger.

That is an excellent point.

Also there is the effect that it will have on the social structure in society. Middle/working classes will be less inclined to have children when compared to the richer and poored group in society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

milltown wrote:
    I don't believe that tax relief is the answer. Basic 'supply & demand' laws of economics mean that if you put more funds into the 'demand' side of the equation by giving tax relief to parents, then prices will simply increase. So the state will be giving money to creche owners, in the same way that tax relief for property investors goes straight into the landlords pocket.

It also discriminates against stay-at-home parents - Why should parents who continue working get this kind of additional subsidy from the state? It also discriminates against the low-waged, as the tax relief is of less or no value to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 muffdiver

sick of all you lot whinging about childcare cost.....why have the little brats in the first place if they are such hassel..your really only interested in your own material worlds and can,t bear to part with money to a creche who have to look after the most important thing in your life..for a measly 170 a week ....... Bankers got paid millions to watch over our financial affairs and look what happened there....get a life.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Trolling.

Closing thread as it is from 2004!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement