Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead{o}Santa

Options
  • 06-11-1999 7:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

Whats the best book in the world?
    Thinking of reading a book, but I'm not sure... smile.gif

I suppose I could read the Bible, but I've read the best bits already.
    No bloody way am I reading the Koran.
    And the book of Kells would take years to read.

VVVVVVV-Place your nominations below-VVVVVVVV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

If your new to this reading lark I can recommend "Micheal and Mary go to the shop"
    Cant remember the author. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Didn't do much for your spelling did it Canaboid? It's Michael not Micheal tongue.gif

I hereby nominate 'The Deeper Meaning of Liff' by Douglas Adams as one of the best books ever, now if you'll excuse me I'm just off to commit Sligo wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Damnit. Confession time. I never actually read that book, I just pratunded I did.
    Rest assured Castor, I will scrutinise every post u make from now on for spelling, syntax, grammar and punctuation and will send a log of all errors to your old english teacher. Or something.
    Still waiting for a game of AOK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

any1 read "Still life with woodpecker" by tom robbins.

kinda inane at times but it really will make ya laugh and cry.

up there w/ anything by big doug adams.
    yeah
    harVey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Just a "duh duh" comment here.
    I do know how to read.
    I'm just wondering what yee' peeps would suggest.
    I realy don't have time to get into a book, only to find that it's a piece of (R@P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well youre both muppets coz it should be you're instead of your...the socond word in canboids post

shame on both of you for not spotting it.
    there will be a quick pop test at the end of the thread wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oh, and nightmares and dreamscapes by stephen king is good if you want something easy to read in short bursts
    its short stories and king is always a great thig to read before you go to sleep coz you dont have to really think about it.

on the other hand, the third policeman by flan obrien is good, but requiers a bit of concentration.
    mind you, its short and onoly takes about an 1 1/2 to read smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Coyler

I loved King's short stories as well WWM but I prefered Night Shift and Skeleton Crew.All three books are still a great read and have read them myself a few times.Not crazy about his novel's though.

Alright, might check out some of Stephen Kings' stuff.
    Thought The Shining was fu(kin' great, so maybe I'll get The Tommyknockers or something...

(phoar, knockers etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Don't forget that Stephen King also writes under the guise of Richard Bachman...his short stories roxor!!!!!!!!!

OhOH and if you want to start with a good one....i suggest IT - Stephen King...
    ohohoh...and the Wamphyri series by Brian Lumely! Brilliant all 98 million or them or so...
    ohohohohoh Malory Towers.........if u like young girls that is...(in uniform).
    ohohohohohoho and The Searing....brilliant
    ...its about leathal orgasms??? oh and the aliens ahhahah...but they're autistic aliens...the plot thickens.........hmmmmm...there MUST be skins somewhere...ffs...ooohh well Dear Diary...i'll only be binneder in a bit so i'll go now!

[This message has been edited by Toulouse (edited 11-11-99).]

• Advertisement

Ok, I've seen "IT" on tv/video, so I'm not gonna' read it...
    Think I read that Malory Towers sh!te a few years ago.....

Nah, fukit'!
    My eyes are too sore to read...
    I'll just 'read' some pr0n instead smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Stephen King's the stand is worthwhile, but a lil long. Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption are 4 great King novellas.
    Best author though isn't Doug Adams, pipped at the post by an even better writer, Doug Coupland. Generation X, Mixcroserfs and Girlfriend in a Coma are stunning. The rest are merely great. Bill Bryson and Stephen Jay Gould are both worthwhile. Gould's Dinos in a haystack rocked my world. Look out for Ed O. Wilson too. Excellent easy to read science. What else is there?
    As for the bible, Romans and Job are just rollickin' good reads, and their message isnt trendy anymore but you gotta give it it's due. So thats my opinion.
    Excelsior

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Before the dawn, by Gerry Adams
    truly a masterpiece

Sorry, my mistake, the best book ever is:
    Business @ the Speed of Thought.
    Bill Gates!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

the best book i ever read was
    "Sanity in the midst of madness"
    by trevor molly....
    a masterpiece
    tct

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Muppets, hear my words ye mortal ones!

--

The best book is "The Player of Games" by Iain M. Bankes.

That said could choose any book from any of { Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle and Iain M. Bankes } and be sure of an excellent read.

Al.

The wasp factory, by mr banks' lesssci-fi alter ego, Iain Banks rocks.
    nothing since then has really lived up however.
    2001 is great but C.Clarke still is too geeky for my tastes.
    but stephen jay gould is rockin' reading dinosaurs in the haystack right now.
    education in a book- what times we live in!
    kevin

Advertisement