Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does a tiler cost?

• 02-11-2004 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

How much does a tiler charge for a small bathroom. Say 15 sq metres.

Does he charge per sq metre.

Is there a diff price for doing say a kitchen floor.

Also at these prices, what is he epxected to provide? Adhesive? Grout? Trimmings?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

It depends on the job (like anything). A big rectangle with nothing in it would be cheaper than a bathroom where you have things like baths, sinks etc. it would
    also depend on the type of tile. Some are more difficult to handle than others.
    They should provide everything.

If you're in and around Dublin my mates a very accomplished tiler (Works for himself now) so I'll give you his number if you like.

Thread link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

decbuck,

I dont mean to hi-jack your thread, but does this guy put up that PVC sheet tiles too, cos i might need someone to do that, its very clean stuff , i dont know which is better, tiles seem more sturdy, but the pvc is easier to clean, its for the mothers house, i got my own tiled, anyway does he do that too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

just a guide but my tiler cost 16€ per square meter. I usually ask him to provide the grout and adhesive as being a professional i reckon he knows best, charges cost for this but you could ask yours what brand etc.. and buy yourself.

Also a few cups of tea and maybe a sandwitch at lunchtime can help keep costs down ;) !!
    Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,450 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Consider letting the tiler do all the buying. He'll have access to alternative sources and trade discounts that you won't. It puts money in his pocket instead of the tile sellers and means he can charge less for his time. VAT is also lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A lot of tilers won't do this. The guy I use expects you to get all the materials, and that seems to be the pattern for tilers. The reason seems to be that the materials are so hard to handle, and it is impossible to match the selection the big tiling places have. Also, reselling materials ties up capital for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Anyone know of a good tiler that would do a job in Enfield??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Cullenswood,

Send me an email with the details, I may know someone who will suit you.

Kind Regards,

Peter Crawley,

www.crawleyandsons.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just paid 350 for a regular mid terraced bathroom .. fully tiled top to bottom.
    Great job too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Mother in law got a quote for 1000 for a small kitchen - think this is a bit high 8 SQ Yds for walls - 15 SQ Yards for floor - sayd floor needs to be levelled and walls need to be skimmed. anyone else think he is charging a lot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,450 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Seems steep, but not exorbitant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hmmm,

Maybe not if he is doing all he says he is going to do, very hard to judge from here, I do know some tilers can make bad walls look good without skimming them.

I take it he will be stripping the walls back to where he can get a good bond for the skim coat ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Its very hard to know, with out seeing exactly how bad the walls are, and does he have to remove architraves / skirtings ect. Floor levelling, again how bad is it. Its ashot in the dark to give an estimate, but given the worst scenario that both walls and floor are exceptionally bad. The quote may not appear to be too excessive.

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

breakdown
    450 walls
    150 level floor
    350 tile floor

actually 950 (must go back to school :confused: )

Walls don't appear too bad - no big holes or anything
    Floor looks like a typical concrete floor - again no big holes - a few little imperfections

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Any slight imperfection in a wall, say a depression of 5 mm. will magnify when the straight lines of tiles, run into and out of a depression. So what may look minimal to you, experience has taught your tiler, these need to be remedied.

The same would go for your floor.

Did you check wall and floor with a straight edge.

Is this a contractor, or nixer quote.

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭memomy

Hi Guys,

I had a similar question myself. I want to get my kitchen floor tiled and was wondering how much a tiller would charge if he had to remove the existing tiles first before tiling? Would it be unheard of for a tiller to tile over existing floor tiles?

For reference the kitchens surface floor area is roughly 11ft x 13ft. and would be tiled with a large 45cmx45cm tile & was hoping this could be done so that no grout was visible between any of the tiles when they have been laid? if you understand what I mean? :rolleyes:

Any rough guideline as to what I might be looking at price wise would be brilliant.

Thanks guys

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

TheMonster wrote: »
    Mother in law got a quote for 1000 for a small kitchen - think this is a bit high 8 SQ Yds for walls - 15 SQ Yards for floor - sayd floor needs to be levelled and walls need to be skimmed. anyone else think he is charging a lot?
    Thats Steep....I found out long ago how to tile and saved myself a small fortune..if the tiler wants more than 200 for a days tiling then he's getting expensive....buy the material yourself would be my advice...then your just paying for labour.

BTW floor leveling is piss easy....walls skimmed?..sounds like BS to me

2 years ago I got a quote for an attic conversion of 22,000 now the same guy will do it for 12,000....SHOP AROUND PEOPLE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Op - You should strongly consider doing it yourself. I did my own large bathroom myself, a few hours over the weekends. Saved a FORTUNE and it was a great learning experience. I could confidently take on another room in the house.

My brother showed me the basics and helped me with the first few tiles and then I did the rest myself. I've never tiled before,just basic DIY and once you know the basics, its piss easy. I did the floors, walls everything.

Great feeling doing it yourself and alot of people think "oh no, i couldnt do that" you CAN!

Save money if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

memomy wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I had a similar question myself. I want to get my kitchen floor tiled and was wondering how much a tiller would charge if he had to remove the existing tiles first before tiling? Would it be unheard of for a tiller to tile over existing floor tiles?

For reference the kitchens surface floor area is roughly 11ft x 13ft. and would be tiled with a large 45cmx45cm tile & was hoping this could be done so that no grout was visible between any of the tiles when they have been laid? if you understand what I mean? :rolleyes:

Any rough guideline as to what I might be looking at price wise would be brilliant.

Thanks guys

thanks

Tilers are charging roughly 18 euro square yard at the moment and roughly 25 for marble. They will charge you aroung 200 euro to rip up 20 yards and re level the floor but that depends on the tile and condition

What you want is the tiler to butt tiles. This is very difficult on a kitchen floor and not reccomended.
    bastados wrote: »
    Thats Steep....I found out long ago how to tile and saved myself a small fortune..if the tiler wants more than 200 for a days tiling then he's getting expensive....buy the material yourself would be my advice...then your just paying for labour.

BTW floor leveling is piss easy....walls skimmed?..sounds like BS to me

2 years ago I got a quote for an attic conversion of 22,000 now the same guy will do it for 12,000....SHOP AROUND PEOPLE!!!

You answered a 2005 thread bastados. your observation is very poor.
    M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Op - You should strongly consider doing it yourself. I did my own large bathroom myself, a few hours over the weekends. Saved a FORTUNE and it was a great learning experience. I could confidently take on another room in the house.

My brother showed me the basics and helped me with the first few tiles and then I did the rest myself. I've never tiled before,just basic DIY and once you know the basics, its piss easy. I did the floors, walls everything.

Great feeling doing it yourself and alot of people think "oh no, i couldnt do that" you CAN!

Save money if you want.

Lads to both of you i admire anyone who attempts tiling. I am in the business years. I know all tiling faults and i know how to tile. However as i never tiled for a living i do not expect to get paid for it.

Be sure if you get a tiler get references. As you can see anyone can tile but only a few do it propperly. Its not piss easy and even a simple job like a kitchen splashback needs forward planning.

Tilers are charging roughly 18 euro square yard at the moment and roughly 25 for marble. They will charge you aroung 200 euro to rip up 20 yards and re level the floor but that depends on the tile and condition

What you want is the tiler to butt tiles. This is very difficult on a kitchen floor and not reccomended.

You answered a 2005 thread bastados. your observation is very poor.

Lads to both of you i admire anyone who attempts tiling. I am in the business years. I know all tiling faults and i know how to tile. However as i never tiled for a living i do not expect to get paid for it.

Be sure if you get a tiler get references. As you can see anyone can tile but only a few do it propperly. Its not piss easy and even a simple job like a kitchen splashback needs forward planning.

Thanks for the response Joey the lips. Quick question regarding the butt tiling. Why would you not recommend this? and is there any cons to getting the floor tiled this way as apposed to the conventional method?

memomy wrote: »
    Thanks for the response Joey the lips. Quick question regarding the butt tiling. Why would you not recommend this? and is there any cons to getting the floor tiled this way as apposed to the conventional method?

You can butt on concrete normally but as there is a lot of traffic in the kitchen you will get movement, the tiles will chip and dirt will deposit in between them. Add to that water and grease you will get a smelling floor very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

M.J.M.C wrote: »

Save money if you want.

I did all my floors as well. Worked out perfect and is possible for those who have a bit of cop on and good set of hands. But my kitchen floor took 2 days. I dont think it was piss easy though. I had to ring for advise on a few occasions.

Its also really important to rent the correct cutters and those woodies efforts are a disaster to work with.
    I now help a tiler out on days off. He can tile the same area to perfection in 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Sorry, i'll withdraw "piss easy" and replace it with "not as difficult as one would think"

As mentioned above you do need to plan it out first. Not a matter of just sticking up tiles any old way. Once you know where your first few tiles are going and you have it planned out - you'll be fine.

Ideally, if you can tile something smaller first to get your confidence up.
    I was in no major rush to get my bathroom done. Once you get the floor done, you'd be fine. It's all down to planning, know where the tiles are going before you start.

Im no expert, and i applaud professional tilers, however if I can paint the house or tile the bathroom etc all to save money - I will.

You cant beat the satisfaction when you are having a little sit down and thinking "I tiled this room"

If you do take on the job, as gsxr1 said - do NOT by a cutter from woodies etc. Good luck and don't be afraid if you are in anyway handy and have cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'll be getting the main bathroom and ensuite tiled in the next couple of months and it's a job i won't take on.
    Tiling is a finished job and it's what i'll have to look at so i want it done right...by that i mean i don't want my missus moaning in my ear about a mistake i made for the next 20 years!!

Anyone that can recommend a "good" tiler please feel free to PM me...i'm in dublin - near terenure/kimmage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Had my bathroom walls tiled recently.10m2 of 5" tiles on primed skimmed plasterboard-half walled,two window reveals/cills and shower=110 euro.Local Polish guy did in three conscutive evenings[3Hrs+3Hrs+2.5Hrs],I provided the materials.Absolutely first class job-gave him a bit extra towards his petrol to keep him sweet as Im going to get him back to tile a floor[12 euro/M2].

wayoutwest wrote: »
    Had my bathroom walls tiled recently.10m2 of 5" tiles on primed skimmed plasterboard-half walled,two window reveals/cills and shower=110 euro.Local Polish guy did in three conscutive evenings[3Hrs+3Hrs+2.5Hrs],I provided the materials.Absolutely first class job-gave him a bit extra towards his petrol to keep him sweet as Im going to get him back to tile a floor[12 euro/M2].

Where is he based?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Its not piss easy and even a simple job like a kitchen splashback needs forward planning.

Tiling is pretty easy and straight forward IMHO..any of my friends need tiling I do pro gratis and receive work in kind from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

wayoutwest wrote: »

So I take it price was the only reason that you hired him. Did he have insurance or did that not matter? Served his apprenticeship? References or i'll chance it? Paying taxes or VAT? Think I know the answers but i'm sure you did too. Chancers on both sides of the fence here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Theres skinny fake marble/marble look,theres cheap crappy marble and then theres real marble costs alot and needs to have special liquid cutters used to cut it.

You pay for propper marble and propper fitting of it too.It takes time to get the cut perfect with propper heavy marble.

I have 25mm thick 600 x 600mm solid marble with a 175mm wide brown marble border running right around the edges of the kitchen/dining area.

I got 2 large crate loads of the marble on the cheap,and then a small pallet of 175mm brown marble border tile (my good luck was only from someone elses bad luck/job cancelation),but it took time to have it fitted correctly and precisely too.The marble was then repolished and resealed too,to give a perfect finish.

I watched the tilers in action and I take my hat off to them for such a delicate and precise job.

I was so happy witheir workmanship,that they also did the bathroom and the ensuite too.
    I also have a new found respect for the art of tiling,as before,I used to think "ah sure just slap down some adhesive,whack on the tile and slap in the grout".

Not anymore,tiling is an art form and a skill form.

yes paddy we know. You love tilers plumbers and you have a lovely house... No need to show the rest of us up.:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

yes paddy we know. You love tilers plumbers and you have a lovely house... No need to show the rest of us up.:D

Pics were and are only there for visual reference and give others some potential ideas too.

Sure thats how I get ideas,from looking at what others have done.;)

We all help each other along and help each other out.:)

Advertisement