Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The definitve best simpsons episode ever poll nominations

• 02-11-2004 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd start a poll to find the best simpsons episodes ever. We'll find nominations and start polls. Here's the thread for the nominations. each person can nominate one episode and I'll Close the nomiations after a few days and start the voting.
    My nomination is Two Bad Neighbors. I love that episode.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

Stonecutters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

Two Bad Neighbours? Which one was that? I honestly haven't a clue of the official titles of them. is it the george bush one?

it's hard to pick just one.

My favourite has to be when they go to New York when Homer's car is stuck at the world trade center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

You only move twice, where homer gets a job working for super villain (and super nice guy) Hank Scriopo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yeah, I hate both bushes, so I like seeing him being tormented by Bart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Don't know the exact names of the episodes either but my current favourite is the one where Homer wants to put on weight to work from home. My favourite part is when Bart says "towel rack".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

The one with Mindy

"Think unsexy thoughts, Think unsexy thoughts"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Hank Scorpio and the Globex corporation for me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

climaxer wrote:
    Don't know the exact names of the episodes either but my current favourite is the one where Homer wants to put on weight to work from home. My favourite part is when Bart says "towel rack".

That's my favourite one too. I love when he tries to dial an number and the recorded message says "the fingers you are using are too fat..........."

Whats your favourite Halloween special:

I love the one where Grounds Keeper Willie is able to get into the kids dreams. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Don't like the Halloween ones :(

• Advertisement

rebel72 wrote:
    That's my favourite one too. I love when he tries to dial an number and the recorded message says "the fingers you are using are too fat..........."

Yeah that bits brilliant. His fat guy dress is hilarious. Oh and Maggie's non toxic play dough doughnut.

I saw that episode recently and only then noticed that Homer had already eaten it when bart says its non toxic. I love watching old episodes and noticing new jokes or understanding refrences.

Blisterman wrote:
    I saw that episode recently and only then noticed that Homer had already eaten it when bart says its non toxic. I love watching old episodes and noticing new jokes or understanding refrences.

I never noticed that - must check it out the next time. I never tire of watching the old episodes.

Just thought of another brilliant episode - the one where Homer and Bart think they have lepercy. Classic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Hank Scorpio and the Globex corporation for me too.
    ditto....absolutely classic... scene where bond escapes from the laser and homer stops him getting away!!! :D or the the sart with smithers "can a man not walk down the street without someone offering him a job!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The April fool's one was great until it just turned into a clip show.

"April foo.........KABOOM!"

:D

Actually, the beer baron one gets my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

"A Star is Burns"

Full of quality, laugh out loud moments.

"were you saying 'boo' or 'boo-urns'"

football in the groin

Pukahontas

"and you were the man who didn;t know if it was a pimple or a boil"
    "it was a gummy bear"

"Barney's film had heart, but "Football in the Groin" had a football in the groin"

"let's just say it moved me. TO A BIGGER HOUSE!!! uh oh, i said the quiet part loud and the loud part quiet"

as you can tell, i've prolly watched this episode one too many times.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

For my favourite its a toss up between Globex Corp. and the one with Mindy simply for the bit with the flying monkeys :D . Burns:- "Continue the research..." Theres probably loads of great ones we're forgeting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Stonecutters is probably still my favourite, but the one where Homer is hypnotised and remembers a traumatic childhood experience, is well up there. Especially when Carl says "I think I just logged on to my internet". Then theres always the flamin' Moe one, Max Scorpio, etc, Its just a crackin' show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

[2F12] Homer the Clown

Krusty: All right, now there can only be one Krusty in each territory,
    so I hope this works out. Tell me where you're from.
    Man 1: Georgia.
    Texan 1: Texas.
    Texan 2: Uh, Brooklyn.
    Man 2: Russia.
    Man 3: New Hampshire.
    Homer: Homer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

I like the Stonecutters one too, although im also not to sure on the official name of the episodes, one that sticks out in my memory as beening good was the one where they all go to Brazil to find lisa's penpal.. and another was when they all go to Australia, so Bart can appoligise for for making someone hold on a phone call or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I have to nominate an old one. They are the best in my opinion. the one where they buy the crappy camper van and get lost in the woods. Homer and bart try to rough it (unsuccessfully) and Homer gets covereed in mud and is mistaken for Big-Foot.

Classic.

By the way the new ones are junk. All these guest appearances and refrences to popular culture. long gone are the days when the simpsons defined poular culture.

Sorry to be negative.
    The Simpsons WOO!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think Bart of Darkness, one with the swiming pool and the Rear Window parody is one of the best, and also of course the mono-rail episode.

Oooh.. and the one with Mark Hammil was great too... Very hard to choose...

But Bart of Darkness gets my nomination.

The new episode that was shown on Sunday was possibly the "worst episode ever!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

You Only Move Twice is the best episode ever, although honourable mentions go to to the Lemon Tree episode, Mulder and Scully episode and the one with Jay Sherman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Secrets of a Successful Marraige has the best quote imo:
    Look, Marge, you don't know what it's like. _I'm_ the one out
    there every day putting his ass on the line. And I'm not out of
    order! _You're_ out of order. The whole freaking _system_ is
    out of order. You want the truth? You want the truth?! You
    can't handle the truth! 'Cause when you reach over and put your
    hand into a pile of goo that was your best friend's face, you'll
    know what to do! Forget it, Marge, it's Chinatown.

Also, the Insane Chilli episode is magic

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

definatly the globex corporation. i'd love to work for someone like hank scorpio, even if he is a super villian.

Hank: "What's your number one dream"
    Homer: "Eh, to work for you?"
    Hank: "Don't do that. My butt is for sitting, not kissing"

or

Hank: (on the phone) "oh my God, when did that happen? How much of it? ok, i'll be right up. Homer i gotta go. Someone's just ate part of my lunch."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

lots of amazing episodes, though sadly not many in recent years
    the one that springs to mind now is "Rosebud" where Burns is looking for his bear Bobo

Burns: [toward the Ramones] Have the Rolling Stones killed.
    Smithers: Sir, those aren't --
    Burns: Do as I say!

and

Burns: Smithers, I'm so happy. Something amazing has happened, I'm
    actually happy. Take a note! [resolute] From now on, I'm
    only going to be good and kind to everyone.
    Smithers: I'm sorry sir, I don't have a pencil.
    Burns: Ehh, don't worry, I'm sure I'll remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

'Last Exit to Springfield' is probably my favourite - so many great moments.

- The Big Book of British Smiles
    - 'Lisa needs braces... dental plan!'
    - Don Homer
    - 'Wait a minute... is he coming on to me?'
    - Homer's celebratory dance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Nuttzz wrote:
    You only move twice, where homer gets a job working for super villain (and super nice guy) Hank Scriopo
    gets my vote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Sorry havent a clue as to the names of the episodes i like,but i know you will all probably know them when i mention some of the lines from the simpsons...

Well first one where he goes to the post office and asks postman something like this" hello,i think you have a letter for me,what your name Sir....Mr burns!Hmmm whats your first name sir...and homer has the action man eyes and says I dont know... :D

Or my sig....below or the one were he is flying over a canyon on Barts skate board and he thinks he is going to make it and what followed with him falling and being airlifted and getting hit all the way up the mountain side on the stretcher,into the ambulance only for it to crash and he falls back out again down mountain..haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭mwnger

I'll second 'Secrets of a Successful Marriage'

'Websters Dictionary defines a wedding as: "the process of removing weeds from your garden".'

Narrowly pips the Stonecutters episode for my number one.

mad m wrote:
    Well first one where he goes to the post office and asks postman something like this" hello,i think you have a letter for me,what your name Sir....Mr burns!Hmmm whats your first name sir...and homer has the action man eyes and says I dont know... :D

I love that part - when Homer says "I don't know" is class. My stepdad does a great impression of that clip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I can't believe this thread is two pages long and nobody has mentioned "Homer goes to college"! That episode has me in stitches any time it comes on. So many classic scenes:

* Homer worrying that he's going to lose his job just because he's dangerously unqualified.
    * Homer spiking the punch at the social and instead of the expected adulation, all the students get their parents called to come and collect them.
    * Snake playing the role of Wallet Inspector outside the college gates when the nerds get expelled.
    * Homer's theory that having made a right mess of one prank, the best way to remedy the situation is with an even zanier prank.
    * At the end of a lecture, the Professor announces that there will be a comprehensive review session after each class. Homer asks whether they have to stay and when he is told that they don't, he legs it with the response "Kiss my curvy butt goodbye"

But my favourite line is when Homer is sitting in a lecture about a Proton Accelerator. He puts this face on and says "Excuse me Professor Brainiac, I worked in a nuclear power plant for ten years. I think I know how one of those works." When invited to show the class he irradiates the whole place. But better yet, the guys in the decontamination suits greet him by name!

That may also be the episode with the "I am so smart, s-m-r-t. I mean s-m-a-r-t" but I can't remember.

But anyway, surely I can't be the only person that likes this episode so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

rebel72 wrote:

Heheh.....that's a brilliant episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What about old Grimey?
    I know its not packed of one-liners but as an allround great episode I liked it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Bart Vs Australia

Bart: This is Bart Simpson. Can I help you, ma'am?
    Bruno: Yeah, er -- hey! My name is Bruno Drundridge, right? You owe me
    $900, mate.
    Bart: No, you owe _me_ $900!
    Bruno: [stammers] I...you...ooh! You're just some punk kid, aren't you?
    Ooh, you picked the wrong guy to tangle with here, mate.
    Bart: [chuckles] I don't think so. You're all the way in Australia.
    Hey! I think I hear a dingo eating your baby. [hangs up]

Pure Class :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I'd have to register my vote for the Guatamalan Insanity Peppers episode.

'Homer's Chili spoon... they say he carved it himself from a bigger spoon'

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

its impossible to select a favourite simpsons episode

i can never do it, and ive most episodes AT LEAST 30 times over

ive also figured out the problems with the new one's

the characters have become characters of themselves

theres still the odd moment of goodness (last weeks episode)

'Einstein didnt talk untill he was three, and even then he could only speak german'

that had me down on the floor

anyway if i had to select a one its when they form a bowling team, and mr. burns wants to join

* ohh its you pop'n fresh
    *HOLD THE PHONE, i dont remember cutting a cheque for bowling
    uhhhh thats boweling, sir
    ohhh yes, thats very important, remeber when we forgot it
    smithers nods
    hold the phone, i dont remember cutting a cheque for bowling

*best sight gag EVER too: burns puts his hand over the air blower thingy they have on hte ball bit,. and his hand flails in the air

too much to mention anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Flaming (homer) Moe,
    the one with the x-files:
    "Homer you are hooked up to a lie-detector its tells us if your telling the truth do you understand?"
    "Yes." *lie detector explodes*,
    also like the hank scorpio one,
    the one when bart becomes the bar man for fat-tony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

I like the one where they go to Brazil, Homer is so funny as a hostage! I also like the one where Moe and Maggie are hanging out together and the one there recently where Maggie was supposed to be smarter than Lisa ..he very end when Maggie was playin the sax it was really funny! I really like the one where they go and live in the reality TV show as well!

Homer: When was the last time I cried like this?
    Lisa: when you put your t shirt on back to front?

Funny!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Some classic moments in Simpsons nearly all involve dancing and i cant get it out of my head

The one where Krusty disapers and Lisa&Bart go to the docks and the Capt says "give the little fella a dime and watch him dance ARGH!!"

Also homer and his mobile phone "i dance,i dance,i dance,i dance around a mexican hat"
    Also when Apu gets caught cheating,Mandula goes to the Lawyor and he starts dancing on the table outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You got this far without mentioning the Monorail episode?? I am shocked.

However my favourite is the one where Burns loses his teddy bear :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Two Words: Flaming Moes

Marge: Well, Homer, maybe you can get some consolation in the fact that something you created is making so many people happy.

Homer: Oh, look at me! I'm making people happy! I'm the Magical Man from Happy-Land, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane! (slams the door, then put his head back round) Oh, by the way, I was being sarcastic.

Marge: Well, duh!

Lots of great episodes, any more nominations?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cape Feare.
    Think about Sideshow Bob and the rakes for 10 seconds and try not to giggle like a schoolgirl :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

if there was a newish episode to be nominated the one where duff beer keep getting new mascots first its Duff man then suds McDuff and then Duff McShark hilarious

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm going with "Homer Simpson vs. New York City". Something about that episode just gelled together very well for me, even if it doesn't have the snappy one liners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Also think that New York episode is great. Always a bit surreal watching the Twin Towers stuff....

I liked the episode the episode with the "Movementarians"

"ooh look, a leader shaped lima bean!"

"na na na na na na na na na na Batman, I mean, LEADER!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

D&#233 wrote: »
    "na na na na na na na na na na Batman, I mean, LEADER!"

I love that line always makes me laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Barts comet is classic.

Moe: Hey, uh, I got an idea: we can play a game to pass the time.
    Er, I'll make the sound of a barnyard animal, and, er, you
    all try to guess what it is. Ahem: eehehehehahaha.

Wiggum: It's a pig!

Bart: It's a cow, man.

Lisa: It's a pony.

Krusty: No, it's a goat. You know, one of them lady goats.

Selma: There are no lady goats: a lady goat is a sheep.

Hibbert: I believe she's right.

Otto: You're crazy.

McAllister: Arr, what's it to you?

Otto: What's it to _me_?
    [everyone starts arguing]
    Marge: Stop it! Stop it! Can't you see this barnyard noise
    guessing game is tearing us apart?

[Ned still sings "Que Sera, Sera" outside]
    Say, Moe, was it a duck?
    [everyone argues again]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Aargh, Can't Choose just one! Here's my favs ...

9F21 - Homer's Barbershop Quartet
    1F17 - Lisa's Rival
    2f06 - Homer Badman
    2F08 - Fear of Flying
    2F22 - Lemon of Troy
    2F32 - Round Springfield
    3f09 - Two Bad Neighbors
    4F01 - Lisa's Date with Density
    4F15 - Homer vs. the 18th Amendment
    4F18 - In Marge We Trust
    4f12 - The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show
    5F11 - Das Bus