Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way 2 cook steak

• 02-11-2004 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭

I have some kind of weird obsession with steak. I eat it 5 days a week.
    Dont really know why. Looking for some pointers on a new way to cook it.
    I normally marinade it with oil herbs and tons of pepper and fry it or bbq it.
    That george foreman grill does a decent job too. Anyone got an idea thats a
    bit more adventurous shall we say ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

5 days a week :eek:

I find a cast-iron pan to be about the best.
    Very hot to begin with and then a lower temp (but only for a minute on each side!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Do the same marinding you do, except add some garlic. A nice tender soft juicy steak with a hint of garlic is TO DIE FOR

I also love the George Foreman grill, you can't beat it for ease of use. Plug it in, turn it on, stick on the steak, dinner done. Add some sliced peppers and onions and all you need to add is baked potato. Very easy but tasty dinner.

Allrecipes.com might have some interesting recipes for you, perhaps a proper recipe for garlic steak. MMmm garlicy buttery steak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Don't forget the red onions, button mushrooms and red wine !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Aaahh, mushrooms, mmmm. Definitely don't forget the mushrooms :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Soy sauce and brown sugar marinade, after you've cut it into thin strips. Then fry with ginger and sesame oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

IrishMike wrote:
    I eat it 5 days a week.

Don't worry about exciting recipes as you're probably going to die soon from eating steak every day of the week!!

My preferred method is on a griddle pan, with an onion and some garlic and cracked black pepper pounded into the steak. Then pour some pepper sauce on top and serve.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

koneko wrote:
    Do the same marinding you do, except add some garlic. A nice tender soft juicy steak with a hint of garlic is TO DIE FOR

I also love the George Foreman grill, you can't beat it for ease of use. Plug it in, turn it on, stick on the steak, dinner done. Add some sliced peppers and onions and all you need to add is baked potato. Very easy but tasty dinner.

Allrecipes.com might have some interesting recipes for you, perhaps a proper recipe for garlic steak. MMmm garlicy buttery steak.

MMMMMMM ......Sharkman leaves chair spinnin in an attempt to reach Butchers before he closes ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

Why not Google it? But if you can get a Butcher you can trust, there's nothing nicer than a good plain T-Bone about 2.5 cm thick steak, blue.If the meat is good enough, it'll melt in your mouth,
    Check out recipes for 'Bistecca alla Fiorentina' too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I like to marinade steak in about a glass of red wine (per steak), balsamic vinegar, a splash of tabasco and a motely assortment of whatever fresh herbs are to hand.

I prefer to BBQ, but living in Ireland is a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

no way i cant stand blue steak it makes me sick just looking at it!!! my steak has to be well done!! with mushrooms peppers and garlic bit of pepper sauce and homemade chips!!! ummmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

Marinade it overnight in Soy sauce and Tarragon.
    Put whatever oil you use in a pan (preferably peanut oil cos you don't get any taste of it off the food - unlike olive oil) heat it up as much as possible.
    Fry the steak for a few seconds on each side to seal it, then lower it down and cook slowly.
    When you have cooked it to your liking take it out of the pan and leave it on the plate for a few minutes to "relax". (if you eat it straight away it can be a bit tougher)
    Serve with whatever you want .

Thats the way I do it anyway and I never get sick of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The only thing I will add to all this is to say that never cook steak for more than two minutes on either side, and never cook at a low temperature.

Me, I rub olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper in, have my cast iron skillet smoking. I heat oil in it, and when it's hot add a little butter. Steak goes in, about 30-45 s on either side. Take from pan, and leave sit for a few minutes to let the juices redistribute themselves in the meat. Yuummmyyy..

Otherwise, cut into strips and fry until you're happy. Mix some peanut butter, tomato ketchup, tabasco and a little water together and you have a lovely satay dipping sauce. (Sounds odd, I know, but I got it from Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible and it's excellent)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

As an interesting (but expensive) alternative, try boiling fillet steak in a good barolo wine. If you can't get (or afford) a decent barolo, anything with oodles of body will do.

Outstanding.

jc

Advertisement