Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chile con carne

• 02-11-2004 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

I'm looking for a really good chile con carne recepie. I had it for the first time the other night but found it really bland. Maybe it wasn't made as it should have been. I've been told that its delicious so please convert me by posting a tasty recepie :D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I use this one :

Ingredients (serves 4, with 1 bowl each)
    1 onion
    4 cloves of garlic
    1.5 tbsp dried oregano
    1 tsp cumin powder
    0.5 tsp cayenne pepper powder ( I add a couple of chopped fresh chillies)
    3 tbsp tomato purée or tomato ketchup
    1 tsp cocoa powder
    1 lb minced beef or pork
    2 tins chopped tomatoes
    1 tin kidney beans

Instructions
    Chop or crush the garlic, and chop the onion. Fry them up in a large pan with some oil. Add the ground meat, and cook it thoroughly. Once it is nicely browned, sprinkle over the cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper, and stir until they're mixed in evenly. Add the kidney beans, chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, and cocoa powder, and then allow the mixture to simmer for as long as you like, stirring occasionally. I like giving it at least an hour for the flavours to blend.

Once cooked , this will keep for a week .. Just bring to the boil once a day ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

looks good but what's the cocoa powder for!?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Whereas mine uses cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, pepper, 1.5 teaspoons of brown sugar all mixed together with two tablespoonfuls of vinegar to create a paste. Throw in two chopped onions, tin of tomatoes, tin of kidney beans with the mince, and sprinkle in some cummin seeds and nice dinner is had.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I put a thread up here a good while ago with my recipe for Chilli. Its a little unusual but it works well and tastes pretty good if I say so myself!

I'm no cook either so if you are looking for something straight forward, do a search for DeVore as thread starter on this forum... (I think its entitled Dev's Devilment!) :)

DeV.

mines pretty similar to sharkman's except instead of cayenne pepper i used chopped up scotch bonnet peppers....not to many as they are fiery!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

looks good but what's the cocoa powder for!?

Chocolate is often used in Mexican cooking. Cocoa powder isn't sweet, it's more bitter and definitely is a nice contrast to the bite from the cayenne or chillis

The cocoa seems to act as a catylist for the other tastes . I tried it without it once and twas much blander ..

Mexican MSG I suppose !!!!!

sharkman wrote:
    The cocoa seems to act as a catylist for the other tasts . I tried it without it once and twas much blander ..

Mexican MSG I suppose !!!!!
    dudara wrote:
    Chocolate is often used in Mexican cooking. Cocoa powder isn't sweet, it's more bitter and definitely is a nice contrast to the bite from the cayenne or chillis

LOL...thanks. Maybe i'm a bit uninspired but it never occurs to me to use stuff like that in my cooking....tend towards hot as opposed to mellow tastes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

I had chilli at a friend's house recently, made with Jamie Oliver's Recipe . It was so good that I went out and bought the book. I had a recipe of my own, but this is much better.

I have made it since then myself. It is foolproof, and very simple to make. I would highly recommend it.

Ro

• Advertisement

Oh no , the Chillie is HOT , its just that the cocoa changes the overall flavout ..

I love my hot food ..

You need to try Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce (The Original)

sharkman wrote:
    Oh no , the Chillie is HOT , its just that the cocoa changes the overall flavout ..

I love my hot food ..

You need to try Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce (The Original)

sounds fantastic....i'm also a hotfood person!! I love this quote: :D
    Like to pierce yourself for fun? Get off on the thought of sliding down a razor-blade slide into a pool of alcohol? Have a macho friend with an attitude? This sauce may be for you. The label says, Great cooking ingredient for sauces, soups and stews. Also strips waxed floors and removes driveway grease stains

Excellent! :eek:

Believe me it's all true . This would bring tears to a glass eye ..

A friend of mine reckons he can eat anything ....NOT this :D

One or two drops on a burger or spread over a steak ..

where do you get it...or do you get it from that site....?

My mother brought me back some jars of scotch bonnet peppers and some hot sauses from the carribean last time she was there but i'm getting a bit low....

I got the Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce when I was in the States ..

"hot sauses from the carribean "

You mean like these ::

DSC254.th.jpg

nope they had a plain simple label....one said hot pepper sauce and the other pepper sauce....chucked them the other week and i'm very unobservant!! :(

Mind you...did you get those somewhere here....?

god i wish i hadn't had a big lunch today...i'd defo be making some chile now.... :D

Got them in St Lucia .. Some of the foreign foodstores have great hot sauces ..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Coriander. Gotta have coriander. And sour cream for the top. Some guacamole if you're putting it in bread.

Advertisement