Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Insurance CLaim

Options
  • 02-11-2004 5:47pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

The wifey got rear ended (her car u dogs) there last weekend. Your mano accepted full responsibility and informed his insurance company who came out to assess the car.
    The body repair shop reckons that it should be wrote off.

SOO what is the situation here does anyone know.??

The car is still driveable just the back is badly squashed and the car knocked out of shape.

So how long does it usually take for a claim to go through?
    Do they just give her the value of the car?
    What happens her wrote off car?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Be afraid

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They will give her the OMSP of her car (assuming this is not higher than her policy allows for).
    However, I believe a common practice is for them to offer a lower price so be warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

timeframe for claim in my experience is 4 to 6 weeks, longer if you appeal.
    You can have someone else assess the car no problem, you're under no obligation to stick with the current assessment.

Do they just give her the value of the car?
    You can forget about the fiugure you have the car insured for, that is just a magic number with no bearing whatsoever on what you will be given. The max you can hope for is the insurance 'book value' of the car. If you have any paintwork damage etc. not related to the incident you will lose big bucks - 700 euro in my case (20% of the cars value :mad: :mad: ).

What happens her wrote off car?
    You have the choice of flogging it to a scrap dealer for around 500 euro(the insurance company will deduct that from your claim too) or keeping it and selling it on yourself. If you have alloys, stereo , good tyres etc etc then take them off, cos you'll get no extra for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Actually, what they offer is the price you would get if you traded the car in to a dealer basically.
    That's not the real market value because obviously if the dealer is selling the car on, he's going to add his own margin. That is the open market value of the car and it's obvious that the insurance company would prefer to give you the lower value!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

fkn mighty!! they valued the car 3600, that site values it at 3757.

So it will be interesting to see what happens. I will follow them for the value of the car for sure, i spent a lot of time searching for a good motor for her and then fixing it up and fk me if some twat is going try and pull one on us!

Her da is a journalist so I will drop them that and see how it is swallowed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement